News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Music you listened to when you were 13 that you've sought out on Youtube and...

Started by The Magic Pudding., November 30, 2022, 12:46:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Magic Pudding.

Music you listened to when you were 13 that you've sought out on Youtube and is surely symptomatic of encroaching dementia.

Recusant

Didn't get into rock until later in life. Classical, jazz, and flamenco when I were a sprout.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tom62

The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Tank

Quote from: The Magic Pudding. on November 30, 2022, 12:46:56 PMMusic you listened to when you were 13 that you've sought out on Youtube and is surely symptomatic of encroaching dementia.

Video unavailable.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Recusant

Hmm, must be geoblocked in the UK. It plays OK in the US.  Maybe the "official" version will work in the UK.

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Bluenose

+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

billy rubin

https://youtu.be/ZGQq4DAZZxI

and suppe and prokofiev and tchaikovsky

my father had some recordings of classical overtures

i listened to them over and over and over

i nevrr got better

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

billy rubin

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

billy rubin

hermes2015

This thread has brought back memories of one of the roots of my love of classical music. I was exactly 13 when I heard Bobby Darin sing Mack the Knife on the radio.

My mother, cultured lady that she was, told me that it was an adaptation of the original Mackie Messer song composed by Kurt Weill for his  Dreigroschenoper. At one of the local record stores they had an LP of the opera with Lotte Lenya singing it.

That was one of the things that set me off exploring the connections in music. I am so grateful that I learned at an early age that art is a succession of influences that are fun to explore.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Recusant

— H. L. Mencken

The Magic Pudding.

Quote from: hermes2015 on December 02, 2022, 05:09:04 AMThis thread has brought back memories of one of the roots of my love of classical music. I was exactly 13 when I heard Bobby Darin sing Mack the Knife on the radio.

My mother, cultured lady that she was, told me that it was an adaptation of the original Mackie Messer song composed by Kurt Weill for his  Dreigroschenoper. At one of the local record stores they had an LP of the opera with Lotte Lenya singing it.

That was one of the things that set me off exploring the connections in music. I am so grateful that I learned at an early age that art is a succession of influences that are fun to explore.

It's a shame Kevin Spacey turned out to be a bit of monster, Beyond The Sea (movie) was good I thought.

When you get your time machine sorted and are going back to see Lotte perform, can I hitch a ride?

hermes2015

Quote from: The Magic Pudding. on December 02, 2022, 08:28:33 AMWhen you get your time machine sorted and are going back to see Lotte perform, can I hitch a ride?

Of course, my time machine can accommodate many passengers. I'm pretty sure you know that you can also see her brilliantly playing Rosa Klebb with the useful shoe in From Russia with Love.

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Asmodean

I'm pretty sure I was 14 rather than 13, but this is the first such song that comes to mind;

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Icarus