News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

James Webb Space Telescope

Started by Tank, December 29, 2015, 05:13:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

jeez

and a car crash on the way back maybe?

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Recusant

Quote from: Tank on August 03, 2022, 07:27:10 PM
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on August 03, 2022, 06:36:06 PMTank, how are you doing?

Ok thanks. While I was away I had sepsis, Covid and a very, very minor heart attack, probably brought on by the sepsis.  ;D

And now you're trim and shipshape, eh lad?

Some dancing galaxies to celebrate! It's worth clicking through to the full size image on the NASA site.

Image credit: NASA, ESA, CSA, and STScI

"NASA's Webb Sheds Light on Galaxy Evolution, Black Holes" | NASA

QuoteStephan's Quintet, a visual grouping of five galaxies, is best known for being prominently featured in the holiday classic film, "It's a Wonderful Life." Today, NASA's James Webb Space Telescope reveals Stephan's Quintet in a new light. This enormous mosaic is Webb's largest image to date, covering about one-fifth of the Moon's diameter. It contains over 150 million pixels and is constructed from almost 1,000 separate image files. The information from Webb provides new insights into how galactic interactions may have driven galaxy evolution in the early universe.

With its powerful, infrared vision and extremely high spatial resolution, Webb shows never-before-seen details in this galaxy group. Sparkling clusters of millions of young stars and starburst regions of fresh star birth grace the image. Sweeping tails of gas, dust and stars are being pulled from several of the galaxies due to gravitational interactions. Most dramatically, Webb captures huge shock waves as one of the galaxies, NGC 7318B, smashes through the cluster.

[Continues . . .]
Edited to repair links. - R

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

I clicked through and didn't end up at NASA.  :???:
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Asmodean

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Recusant

Quote from: Tank on August 05, 2022, 08:06:30 AMI clicked through and didn't end up at NASA.  :???:

Sorry about that--thanks for letting me know. I've repaired the links to the story at NASA.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

Asmodean

...I want a much bigger monitor with far more pixels  :(
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Tank

Wide view of early universe hints at galaxy among earliest ever detected

"Two new images from NASA's James Webb Space Telescope show what may be among the earliest galaxies ever observed. Both images include objects from more than 13 billion years ago, and one offers a much wider field of view than Webb's First Deep Field image, which was released amid great fanfare July 12. The images represent some of the first out of a major collaboration of astronomers and other academic researchers teaming with NASA and global partners to uncover new insights about the universe."

Link to image.

billy rubin

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Essie Mae

Quote from: Tank on August 05, 2022, 01:36:22 PMWide view of early universe hints at galaxy among earliest ever detected

"Two new images from NASA's James Webb Space Telescope show what may be among the earliest galaxies ever observed. Both images include objects from more than 13 billion years ago, and one offers a much wider field of view than Webb's First Deep Field image, which was released amid great fanfare July 12. The images represent some of the first out of a major collaboration of astronomers and other academic researchers teaming with NASA and global partners to uncover new insights about the universe."

Link to image.

This is mind blowing.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Recusant

Lovely to see you here again, Essie Mae! It has been a while.  :hey:
— H. L. Mencken

Recusant

Welp, the Webb telescope can see a slice of Spanish chorizo.  :thoughtful:

"French scientist Etienne Klein apologises after 'James Webb Telescope' image revealed as slice of chorizo" | ABC

QuoteA senior French scientist has apologised after tweeting a picture which he said was from the James Webb Space Telescope — but which was not quite what it seemed.

Etienne Klein, a director at France's Atomic Energy Commission, posted a picture purportedly showing Proxima Centauri, the closest star to our sun.

"This level of detail ... a new world is revealed every day", he enthused in the tweet, sent to more than 90,000 followers on Monday.

However, Professor Klein has now admitted that the glowing celestial body shown was in fact nothing more than a slice of Spanish chorizo sausage.

[. . .]

Apologising for what he described as "a scientist's joke", he said his aim had been to remind people to "be wary of arguments from people in positions of authority".

"I come to present my apologies to those who may have been shocked by my prank, which had nothing original about it," he tweeted.

[Continues . . .]
— H. L. Mencken