Why does evolution "make things" the way they are

Started by AngelOfDeath, December 17, 2017, 10:39:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AngelOfDeath

I know this is stating the obvious, but what would you think did the shittier job in "crafting" a living creature:  God, or evolution?

xSilverPhinx

Why do you think the "purpose" of evolution is to make a durable creature in many cases? For many, once creatures pass their breeding age (to pass on their genes) they deteriorate faster and die.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

AngelOfDeath

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 17, 2017, 10:44:27 PM
Why do you think the "purpose" of evolution is to make a durable creature in many cases? For many, once creatures pass their breeding age (to pass on their genes) they deteriorate faster and die.

hmm, i see your point

AngelOfDeath

i remember this that kind of goes along w/ this topic

Recusant

All that evolution requires is a population of organisms that are fit enough to reproduce. In the case of the human species, perfect recovery from injury by individual organisms is superfluous to requirements.

QuoteIn evolutionary terms, fitness has a very different meaning than the everyday meaning of the word. An organism's evolutionary fitness does not indicate its health, but rather its ability to get its genes into the next generation.

[source]
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

AngelOfDeath

i suppose it is

Dave

Quote from: Recusant on December 18, 2017, 12:32:12 AM
All that evolution requires is a population of organisms that are fit enough to reproduce. In the case of the human species, perfect recovery from injury by individual organisms is superfluous to requirements.

QuoteIn evolutionary terms, fitness has a very different meaning than the everyday meaning of the word. An organism's evolutionary fitness does not indicate its health, but rather its ability to get its genes into the next generation.

[source]

Hmm, that begs the question why some creatures can regrow parts of their body. Yes, it is part of an escape mechanism, but it still seems counter to the "superfluity" idea. But, yes, if you do not get eaten because your tail falls off that is a definite survival trait. It's the regrowth bit...

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Dragonia

Quote from: AngelOfDeath on December 17, 2017, 10:39:01 PM
  So one has to wonder why evolution wouldn't "do a better job" in making a more durable creature?  You could almost say it's a job done half-assed.  The same could be asked of the god-theory of creationism.  Why not make a more durable creature that can regenerate itself from traumatic injury.  I know there's some critters out there that can do it a lot better than we can, by growing new limbs and tails and such.  But at the end of the day, if you severely injure your body, it's never gonna heal itself at all in some cases.

I know this is stating the obvious, but what would you think did the shittier job in "crafting" a living creature:  God, or evolution?

AoD,  evolution hasn't "done a job". It's not a job. It's a process. And considering that evolution has been going on for millions of years, and it may have millions more to go, yes, one may be able to say that we are half-ass, because we as a human species are still in developmental stages. Every stage is a developmental stage for the next one. See what I mean?

So to answer your question, if there was God, it definitely did the shittier job of creating us, because it's supposed to be an intelligent God. And yeah, it could have done a way better job at making us more durable or less flawed or more self-healing. 

Evolution is still just doing what it does, with no consciousness, no intent, no plan, it's just a slow process.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on December 18, 2017, 09:13:34 AM
Quote from: Recusant on December 18, 2017, 12:32:12 AM

[source]

Hmm, that begs the question why some creatures can regrow parts of their body. Yes, it is part of an escape mechanism, but it still seems counter to the "superfluity" idea. But, yes, if you do not get eaten because your tail falls off that is a definite survival trait. It's the regrowth bit...

Maybe in some cases it is not superfluous. Some lizards do a lot of things with their tails from balancing to communication with other lizards, and have the genes to regenerate it, so maybe its worth investing all that energy to regrow one.

Plus, it can lose it yet again to a predator to live another day.

As for why humans don't regenerate important limbs as well, I don't know. Probably we didn't go down that evolutionary path.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

MarcusA

This user has been banned for spamming the forum.