For our young atheists/agnostics with religious parents . . .

Started by Dobermonster, February 28, 2012, 12:12:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dobermonster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXDy1gVcWCc&feature=related

This video has good advice, and is both encouraging and realistic. I really wish I had understood these things when I was 15/16.

Take heart, guys - there are many, many young people in your situation, and this issue will only grow as the cultural tide turns away from theism.

Xiilent

Seen this video before. I really like it. I just don't feel the need to openly tell my parents. I know i drop hints to them (mainly my mom because i'm closer to her) by talking about evolution and how i biggest intellectual role model is Howard Bloom (an atheist author/lot of other stuff) but I have never flat out said "i'm atheist." I doubt they would really make a big deal about it, but if they did, i've learned through experience that arguing/debating with a theist goes nowhere since they are defenitely closed minded. The last debate I had was with a christian and no matter how much evidence i presented or how many questions I asked he always said either "its about how you interpret the bible" or "i'm in the part of my 'walk with god' where i'm trying to find that answer". At least that was a calm conversation.