News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

american primary elections

Started by billy rubin, March 03, 2020, 12:37:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Mr. B on March 16, 2020, 09:37:55 PM
Quote from: Kusa on March 16, 2020, 09:30:56 PM
Quote from: Davin on March 16, 2020, 09:22:04 PM
Quote from: Kusa on March 16, 2020, 09:15:26 PM
Quote from: Davin on March 16, 2020, 08:54:11 PM
Quote from: Kusa on March 16, 2020, 08:29:11 PM
It sounds like you are saying that White people are privileged for not being Black.

That%u2019s a f@cked up thing to say or even think.
I agree that it is fucked up, however I do not agree that it's fucked up think accurately about the world.

Denying reality because you don't like how it sounds has never changed reality.

You are the real racist.
I suppose if I don't give this banal response respect it doesn't deserve, then Bad Penny II will make another incomprehensible comment about how I play by different rules or something... I'll have to learn to live it.

Pointing out that racism exists, is not racism.

I wonder if there are any forum rules against calling someone a racist in a discussion.
Your point is that it is a privilege not to be black. That is pure racism right there. You dehumanize people, especially black people.

I don't think he is dehumanizing black people.

Me neither, and people reading too much into and distorting what other people say really annoys me, but it happens a lot and oftentimes it isn't worth correcting because some people really believe in their interpretations and assumptions, but...

Pointing out that black people living in racist societies suffer because of the colour of their skin is not racist. And it does not make the person who makes that remark a racist. When the emperor has no clothes and someone attacks the person pointing that out it's just... ::)

This is a sensitive and complex topic but there's really no point continuing if people can't keep cool and level-headed but instead throw baseless accusations around and attack each other.

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

billy rubin

well, in the meantime, tomorrow is primary election day in my state, but the governor has announced that voting will be delayed because of the plague.

then a lawsuit was filed to say no you can't.

then another lawsuit came up that says yes he can.

my number one daughter had to drive up from her college town to vote here, because her precinct lost the absentee ballot she had asked for and was not helpful.

i voted for warren in early voting weeks ago, but then she dropped out.

no telling what's going on anymore.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Magdalena

I wonder if there are any forum rules against calling someone a racist in a discussion.
Where are the forum rules?  :bigspecs:

Ah, found them.
Under: Site and Forum Info.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Sandra Craft

Your point is that it is a privilege not to be black. That is pure racism right there. You dehumanize people, especially black people.

Davin's point is that being white isn't itself a problem adding to all a white person's other problems in this society.  Which he's already explained at least once (I'm not reading everything at this point).

I've often thought that Peggy MacIntosh, who coined the concept of "privilege", picked the wrong word to use because people misunderstand it so consistently.  Maybe she should have used "advantage".  It would be hard to deny that there isn't some advantage to being white in America, or at least no real disadvantage attached to being white.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Magdalena on March 16, 2020, 10:53:18 PM

They're in Site and Forum Info.  There's a rule against racist posts, but not against calling someone a racist.  Of course, the rules as a whole haven't been updated since 2015.
Sandy

Magdalena

Quote from: Sandra Craft on March 16, 2020, 10:57:20 PM
Quote from: Magdalena on March 16, 2020, 10:53:18 PM

They're in Site and Forum Info.  There's a rule against racist posts, but not against calling someone a racist.  Of course, the rules as a whole haven't been updated since 2015.
Yes, I found them, thank you.

Kusa has been given a friendly reminder of the rules already, but he continues.
Quote from: Recusant on February 01, 2020, 03:26:37 AM
Quote from: Kusa on February 01, 2020, 12:35:40 AM
Quote from: Magdalena on January 31, 2020, 07:18:47 PM
Quote from: TallRed on January 31, 2020, 04:52:34 PM
Quote from: billy rubin on January 31, 2020, 04:03:04 PM
ive been an atheist/agnostic most all of my life.
Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
billy rubin, why is your friend laughing so hard at your comment? Just curious.

Because his "friend" is a window licker.

The three of you may know each other from elsewhere, and maybe this is an example of friendly banter. Or maybe not. This is a friendly reminder that the first rule of this site is that civility is important. Yes, it's couched as a suggestion, but that doesn't mean there are no standards. If you want to insult your fellow members, Siz has thoughtfully provided a place for that. It would work out best if you go there if you need to exercise your ability to insult people. There are places on the internet where flame wars are all part of the fun, but this isn't one of them.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Recusant

Quote from: Kusa on March 16, 2020, 09:15:26 PMYou are the real racist.

This is a gratuitous personalization. If your passion is such that you believe that you can't express yourself in a more civil and reasonable manner, then please simply refrain.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Mr. B

Quote from: Mr. B on March 16, 2020, 09:22:21 PM
Quote from: Davin on March 16, 2020, 08:03:18 PM
No one here is one blaming you for any of this. No one is saying it's your fault or even that you bare any responsibility for it.

[...]

Edit: I think it's more apt to say that you've pissed yourself and are blaming me because I told you that you smell like urine.

Davin, would you like to explain why you think I shouldn't be offended when people, like you, dismiss a white man's objection to being lumped into a category when people, like you, say that white men shouldn't complain about being mocked or ridiculed for being white men?

Are there no distinctions between white men? Are we all the same? Do we all smell like R. Kelly's sheets?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK8mJJJvaes

So, who do you think should win in the American primaries? Old white man Joe or old white man Bernie? Who will be president between the three old rich white men?
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Mr. B on March 16, 2020, 11:36:37 PM

So, who do you think should win in the American primaries? Old white man Joe or old white man Bernie? Who will be president between the three old rich white men?

It doesn't matter as long as we get old white man Trump out.
Sandy

Mr. B

Quote from: Sandra Craft on March 17, 2020, 02:39:58 AM

It doesn't matter as long as we get old white man Trump out.

For some reason, I think it does matter who we replace him with. But our choices have been made for us. There are a few people I would like to vote for in the general election but sadly, I will be "throwing my vote away" if I were to vote my conscience. Ultimately, it's going to come down to two old rich white men and you can't blame Republicans or conservatives for the choice we face.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - Evelyn Beatrice Hall

billy rubin

i dont care about theiui r race or gender or age

sanders and biden are different and propose different futures. they have different abilities to make it happen.

vote for the future you want to happen

i wanted warrens future and voted for her. nobody else agreed

sanders is closer now to what i want but he doesnt have the ability to make things happen. shakes his fist at clouds.

zo i will vote for biden in the general election. i will get more of what i want with him

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Davin

Quote from: Mr. B on March 16, 2020, 09:22:21 PM
Quote from: Davin on March 16, 2020, 08:03:18 PM
No one here is one blaming you for any of this. No one is saying it's your fault or even that you bare any responsibility for it.

[...]

Edit: I think it's more apt to say that you've pissed yourself and are blaming me because I told you that you smell like urine.

Davin, would you like to explain why you think I shouldn't be offended when people, like you, dismiss a white man's objection to being lumped into a category when people, like you, say that white men shouldn't complain about being mocked or ridiculed for being white men?
Here's the thing though. The white men in power are not you. So you're choosing to attach yourself to a group you're not even in, a group that's hurting you almost as much, and then choosing to be offended when people criticize that group (that you're not in). That's not rational behavior.

Also, which do you think is worse, your feelings getting hurt, or being locked up with no evidence and having to plead guilty so that you can keep working to support your family for a few extra months? If we put those two things on a scale, which way do think the scale would lean?

Quote from: Mr. B
Are there no distinctions between white men? Are we all the same? Do we all smell like R. Kelly's sheets?
You're tilting at windmills. See above.

Quote from: Mr. B
Unrelated to our conversation, but sure. The people who I thought "should" win have already dropped out. Between those three options, Bernie is the best choice. Unfortunately it looks like it will end up being Biden for the Dem ticket and that is a better option than Trump. That's life, we can't control everything, sometimes we can't choose the best path, so we have to choose the better one.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Davin

Quote from: Kusa on March 16, 2020, 09:15:26 PM
Quote from: Davin on March 16, 2020, 08:54:11 PM
Quote from: Kusa on March 16, 2020, 08:29:11 PM
It sounds like you are saying that White people are privileged for not being Black.

That%u2019s a f@cked up thing to say or even think.
I agree that it is fucked up, however I do not agree that it's fucked up think accurately about the world.

Denying reality because you don't like how it sounds has never changed reality.

You are the real racist.
I suppose if I don't give this banal response respect it doesn't deserve, then Bad Penny II will make another incomprehensible comment about how I play by different rules or something... I'll have to learn to live it.

Pointing out that racism exists, is not racism.

Hey, Bad Penny II, got any more of them troll posts against me? I'm mocking this boring response as well.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

billy rubin

primary elections in my state ended up being cancelled.

it went back and forth, then the governor played his trump card and just said No.

no date for the election yet. people can still turn in absentee ballots, but nobody new can register after today.

my governor is interesting. hes a republican, but then a week ago he departed from the conventional republican playbook and held a series of press conferences in which he plotted out a course intended to get ahead of the plague before it took hold in my region. he announced a bunch of preemptive closures andpredicted more of them. all this while the administration in the capitol appeared completely oblivious to what is going on, at best, and focused on politics and wall street, at worst.

as a general rule, republican policies and politicians don't mesh well with my view of where this country needs to go, but i will vote for this guy the next time he runs. in my opinion, having a brain and using it is way more important than what party you affiliate with.