News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Atheist Pilgrimage - Portland, Oregon

Started by AnimatedDirt, May 18, 2012, 07:15:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnimatedDirt

If you want to live in the least religious city in America, Portland Oregon is the place for the atheist pilgrimage
...according to this article about the Most and Least Religious Cities in America.

I wonder how these rate to other cities?

Sweetdeath

I'd rather live in the least religious country in the world: Europe.
Estonia and Sweden are top ranking apparently. <3
( 85% non believers and counting. Wow. My kind of place. )
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Ali

Quote from: Sweetdeath on May 18, 2012, 08:05:46 PM

Spoken like a true American, SD.  ;D ;D ;D (I kid, I kid!)

I was just in Portland this week.  I must have missed the baby restaurants and the public theist persecutions.  Figures.   >:(

Actually, the religious climate in Portland provided a good bonding moment for my boss and I.  We've never discussed religion because that's the sort of topic we avoid like the plague at work.  We were driving through Portland, and being unfamiliar with Portland's radio stations, she picked a song on the radio that was okay, catchy enough if generic.  After a moment, we simultaneously realized that it was a Christian rock song, and my boss goes "Ugh, is this Christian rock?!?" and shot her hand out to change it.  Then she realized that maybe that would offend me and stuttered something like "Not that there's anything wrong with that..."  I reassured her that I had no desire to listen to Christian rock, and then we started making fun of it.  It was a golden moment in our work relationship.   ;D

Then it happened again, on another station, which made us laugh even harder.

So yeah, if Portland is the least religious, why the heck do they have so many Christian rock stations?  >:( ;D

ETA:  Denver!  46 out of 51, baby!!!!!  *Puffs with pride*  *Breaks into R Kelly "This is how we do it...."*

AnimatedDirt

I've heard many tales of Oregonians "hating" Californians...this alone would keep me from making such a pilgrimage if I were an atheist.  But I've also heard Oregon is very nice.

hismikeness

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on May 18, 2012, 10:01:30 PM
I've heard many tales of Oregonians "hating" Californians...this alone would keep me from making such a pilgrimage if I were an atheist.  But I've also heard Oregon is very nice.

A lot of our distaste for Californians is the poor driving. Oregon is very nice place. I was unaware of the least religious city being Portland. Their Christian radio stations are probably due to the many outskirts communities in the surrounding areas. Lots of houses built around large churches and the religion is prevalent.
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

Harmonie

Estonia - Sounds really nice. At least from the name. What a name. lol

Anyway, I'm shocked. The counties just to the Northeast, East, and Southeast of me are all in the blue percentage (less than 34.9%). I would have figured that every county in the state was Yellow. Even my county isn't Yellow, it's Orange.

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Radiant on May 19, 2012, 01:54:00 PM

Anyway, I'm shocked. The counties just to the Northeast, East, and Southeast of me are all in the blue percentage (less than 34.9%). I would have figured that every county in the state was Yellow. Even my county isn't Yellow, it's Orange.

What are the colors, and what do they represent in Europe?

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

philosoraptor

This list was surprising to me.  Despite coming from the 13th most religious city/area (Philadlephia, PA) according to this list, I never felt like it was as present as where I am now.  I guess because in PA-NJ, it was Christians, Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, etc... all spread out, whereas here it feels like it's just Baptists, Baptists and a handful of Catholics, and they all seem to be right on top of each other, in a constant battle for who gets to jam the pamphlet in your face or say "have a blessed day" first.
"Come ride with me through the veins of history,
I'll show you how god falls asleep on the job.
And how can we win when fools can be kings?
Don't waste your time or time will waste you."
-Muse

Sweetdeath

Quote from: philosoraptor on May 20, 2012, 01:55:30 AM
This list was surprising to me.  Despite coming from the 13th most religious city/area (Philadlephia, PA) according to this list, I never felt like it was as present as where I am now.  I guess because in PA-NJ, it was Christians, Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, etc... all spread out, whereas here it feels like it's just Baptists, Baptists and a handful of Catholics, and they all seem to be right on top of each other, in a constant battle for who gets to jam the pamphlet in your face or say "have a blessed day" first.

Ouch,,that really sucks.

Firebird

Not surprisingly, the northeast has a lot of the least religious states. Gotta love it! :)
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Harmonie

Quote from: Sweetdeath on May 19, 2012, 04:37:00 PM
Quote from: Radiant on May 19, 2012, 01:54:00 PM

What are the colors, and what do they represent in Europe?

I'm talking about this map:

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Ali

^^ That map cracks me up because I know exactly where the religious and non religious parts of CO are, and why.  It's so perfect.

Sandra Craft

I really must move to Northern California.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Asmodean

Oregon, eh? I knows someone who was born there. Not a religious type, he is.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: hismikeness on May 19, 2012, 05:45:47 AM
Quote from: AnimatedDirt on May 18, 2012, 10:01:30 PM

A lot of our distaste for Californians is the poor driving.

Define "poor driving".