News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Derail Split from "Noah's ark...the great myth."

Started by SomewhereInND, November 16, 2010, 02:09:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SomewhereInND

Why does every one over analyis bible stories?  They are just stories....bunch of star trek geeks looking for something new?

Here are a few others,

Joana & the whale.
When Joseph said 'I didn't get her pregnant, god did it'.  Always makes me chuckle, funny part...so many truley believe him.
Religion makes me chuckle.
--------------------------------
MENTAL NOTE-Reality is what it is, not what anyone wants it to be, and not what anyone thinks it is.
MENTAL NOTE-Make an effort to be a happy athiest.
My College Math Professor once said:Math is just an imaginary model of reality.
My Dog once said:Bark.
Coworker once said:If it looks good

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "SomewhereInND"Why does every one over analyis bible stories?  

Because some others insist on taking them literally, and then trying to act on that interpretation.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

SomewhereInND

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"

Because some others insist on taking them literally, and then trying to act on that interpretation.

Just tell them to stop being silly.  Logic will never change their view. If you try, well then...your silly too.
MENTAL NOTE-Reality is what it is, not what anyone wants it to be, and not what anyone thinks it is.

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "SomewhereInND"
Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"

Just tell them to stop being silly.  Logic will never change their view. If you try, well then...your silly too.

What you don't seem to understand is that there are others who are just waking up out of their faith-dreams.  I'm not sure of your background, but having been raised a southern baptist, and having lost my faith by adolescence, I could tell a proselytizer "no thanks, I don't believe in god" but I couldn't tell them why.  To those on the fence, and there are many in these sorts of forums, discussions like the ones you castigate can be helpful.  

If you don't like reading the posts, quit reading them.  See how easy that was?

SomewhereInND

Whitney

Quote from: "SomewhereInND"Stop being silly.

I would suggest that you leave the thread alone and stop trolling people.

SomewhereInND

Trolling is arguing without reason.

This is the  happy atheist forum,  I am just trying to suggesting that everyone might be a little more happy, if everyone realises that us is not better then them.

It might improve humanity, what I see in most of these forums, does not qualify as an improvement.

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "SomewhereInND"This is the  happy atheist forum,  I am just trying to suggesting that everyone might be a little more happy, if everyone realises that us is not better then them.

I'm unsure where I posted that much.  Perhaps you could quote where I said that?

QuoteIt might improve humanity, what I see in most of these forums, does not qualify as an improvement.

Yet you're here.  Perhaps you could indicate what you consider to be the needed improvements.

SomewhereInND

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"Yet you're here.  Perhaps you could indicate what you consider to be the needed improvements.

I thought I just did.

But I guess I can indicate some of them again

How about a little reason over pure logic?
Be a happy athiest, chuckle at the silly.
Reality is what it is, not what you want it to be, for example, math is a model of reality, it isn't reality.  Circles, Squares, Rectangles, Fixed Points, are just imaginary.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: "SomewhereInND"Be a happy athiest, chuckle at the silly.

I do that, but some times they go beyond silly and become damaging.

Davin

Quote from: "SomewhereInND"How about a little reason over pure logic?
What does this mean?

Quote from: "SomewhereInND"Be a happy athiest, chuckle at the silly.
One can chuckle at the silly at the same time as correcting it, I often do. However you seemed to be trying to promote the idea that we're all equal and that you would like people to be nicer... with that, I fail to see how having a chuckle at what someone believes and then calling their beliefs silly will achieve these goals. Having a chuckle at what someone seriously considers real, then saying that their beliefs are silly seems more like you're being condescending, rude, insulting and arrogant.

Quote from: "SomewhereInND"Reality is what it is, not what you want it to be, for example, math is a model of reality, it isn't reality.  Circles, Squares, Rectangles, Fixed Points, are just imaginary.
How is this an improvement?
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

SomewhereInND

Quote from: "Davin"
What does this mean?

Ive tried to explain it with shrodingers cat (several times), but it is not getting thru,  if someone else can explain it better, please give it a try.

Logic & Reason are different things.

With Logic you can prove unreasonable things (because everything is based on certain assumptions)

Math is a prime example,  Circles, Lines, Points are imaginary,  2 diminsional objects dont exist,  they have no thickness, etc....

Reason is when someone stands up, and says, "WTF?"

Whitney

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"Yet you're here.  Perhaps you could indicate what you consider to be the needed improvements.

I thought I just did.

Reality is what it is, not what you want it to be, for example, math is a model of reality, it isn't reality.  Circles, Squares, Rectangles, Fixed Points, are just imaginary.

I think this has to be the first time I've seen an atheist build a strawman out of how other atheists conduct themselves...you obviously have not looked around the forum much nor do you have enough information to know how anyone here conducts themselves when not on the forum (maybe for some the forum is where they go to enjoy a bit of debate because they enjoy it and it makes them happy).

btw, reason and logic are simply two sides of the same coin.  One is the guiding principle (logic) for thought and the other is the action of thinking within those guidelines (reasoning).  So by saying let's use a little reason and not so much logic you are basically saying that we should try to be more irrational.

Davin

Quote from: "Davin"
What does this mean?

Ive tried to explain it with shrodingers cat (several times), but it is not getting thru,  if someone else can explain it better, please give it a try.
I agree with Whitney's definition of logic and reason.

Quote from: "SomewhereInND"Logic & Reason are different things.

With Logic you can prove unreasonable things (because everything is based on certain assumptions)
Then you're doing it wrong. The closest logic will ever come to proving unreasonable things, is when it is inconclusive. If it's logical, then it's reasonable.

Quote from: "SomewhereInND"Math is a prime example,  Circles, Lines, Points are imaginary,  2 diminsional objects dont exist,  they have no thickness, etc....

Reason is when someone stands up, and says, "WTF?"
I'm not sure what you mean here or how it is related.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Thumpalumpacus

I thought I just did.

Hey, perhaps you could read some more threads before forming a mental picture.  There's plenty of humor and horseshit here, there, and everywhere.

Also, your strawman failed.