News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

the society finch

Started by billy rubin, March 09, 2021, 06:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

i ran across this today

the society finch is a variety of smal passerine that is not found in the wild. all members of th egroup are domesticated. they are colonial and it is very difficult to distinguish the sexes. the recommended method is as follows

Bengalese finches are quite easy to look after. They are also quite easy to breed provided they are properly sexed. Obtaining a female-male pair can present a difficulty because both sexes look similar. However, it is possible to determine gender by behavior since males tend to display to females. One method to sex Bengalese is to place a single bird in a small cage completely isolated it from its own kind (both sight and hearing) and after several hours then introduce another Bengalese to the cage. If the first bird is a male, it will immediately display to the newcomer. Unfortunately, this does not necessarily mean the introduced bird is a female. But if the first bird does not display it is almost certainly a hen. Also, Society Finches can be housed with other finches including other societies, Zebra Finches, Gouldian Finches, and Spice Finches.

thank you

set the function, not the mechanism.

Tank

I have always wondered how wood pigeons tell each others gender.  I have come to the conclusion that the males display to any other bird and see what happens!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Tank on March 10, 2021, 01:37:14 PM
I have always wondered how wood pigeons tell each others gender. 

Well, they'd just know wouldn't they?

Quote from: Tank on March 10, 2021, 01:37:14 PM
I have always wondered how wood pigeons tell each others gender.  I have come to the conclusion that the males display to any other bird and see what happens!

I think you're projecting.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.