News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

what's the last thing you bought?

Started by billy rubin, November 01, 2019, 09:49:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Lightning

I wouldn't even try CC with my pistol. It's a Model 28 Smith & Wesson .357 revolver with a 6 inch barrel. Nicknamed the "Highway Patrolman" because it is an unpolished version of the Model 27, thus less expensive. I only get ~4" groups at 25 feet using a Weaver stance. Benchrest shooting yields ~2" groups. I wouldn't use it even for personal protection in the house, though.

Last thing I bought? Some wood for a chest that I'm building. I'm calling that design "Last", because it's going to be the last chest I build for my carving tools. I hope. Chests I have built over the last several years have evolved as I bought tools, but I'm expecting not to add more to this set.

jumbojak

Quote from: billy rubin on February 27, 2023, 12:39:57 AMthe double stack is the 84. not so common, as you say. but with a spare magazine the 85 has 17 shots.

i really like the old 70 series berettas. an automatic point, at least for me. but its been gone 50 years, and collectors have bid up the price.

the only problem i have with the 85 is that it has an ambidextrous safety, normally a plus. but in this crossdraw holster, ordinary movement standing up and sitting down causes the leather under the lever to flip the safety off. it still cant fire without almost a full double action triggrr pull, but i like the safety. not sure whether thered a workaround or not

The fix for that is a proper holster. I know that a lot of people prefer leather for comfort but kydex is a vastly superior material and custom holster makers abound. A holster that can manipulate a control is nearly as bad as one that doesn't protect the trigger.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

billy rubin

Quote from: Dark Lightning on February 27, 2023, 02:19:00 AMI wouldn't even try CC with my pistol. It's a Model 28 Smith & Wesson .357 revolver with a 6 inch barrel. Nicknamed the "Highway Patrolman" because it is an unpolished version of the Model 27, thus less expensive. I only get ~4" groups at 25 feet using a Weaver stance. Benchrest shooting yields ~2" groups. I wouldn't use it even for personal protection in the house, though.

four inches at 25 feet is all you need. i used to have a ruger security six 357 with a six inch barrel for hunting pigs. just about that same siz as your S&W and also too big to carry concealed, but i lived in arizona where open carry was common and unremarkable. couldnt shoot it as accurately as a beretta tho. was a nice simple gun.

i expected nothing but im still disappointed

billy rubin

Quote from: jumbojak on February 27, 2023, 03:03:02 AMThe fix for that is a proper holster. I know that a lot of people prefer leather for comfort but kydex is a vastly superior material and custom holster makers abound. A holster that can manipulate a control is nearly as bad as one that doesn't protect the trigger.

i know what youre saying, but a holster that can acrry a gun comfortably while sitting for long periods is not as common as id like. the czech cross draw holster is reasonably comfortable, and a big part of that is tat it isnt as stiff as kydex. and its getting looser with wear. the issue with the safety isnt a big deal. i carried a little ruger in essentailly the same double action cocked position for a long time. i cant manipulate the trigger on this one while the gun is holstered, and so thats pretty safe. if its so safe i cant shoot it then ive misplaced my priorities

The Magic Pudding.

I bought a smart watch.
I don't like wearing watches, and it's fat.
It'd be good to look at a map with lines on it to show where I've been, but it doesn't like water...
It measures my steps OK, it seems my heart isn't working though.

billy rubin

MarcusA

Quote from: billy rubin on May 31, 2023, 04:07:39 PMwhat exactly is a smart watch?

A smart watch is like calculus for dummies, not so smart.
This user has been banned for spamming the forum.

billy rubin

MarcusA

The Magic Pudding.

I bought a trolling motor.
No it isn't a device to help me catch MarcusA's post count.
It's a small electric outboard boat motor.

https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B006T1SN76?th=1
I got it for 137 Pacific Pesos. 
Battery, charger, waterproof case, fitting thingies, don't have any of those.

Dark Lightning

A used motorhome. Just got back from 4 days and 3 nights in the "wilderness".

MarcusA

I bought a barbecued chook but it was really a quail.

Tom62

I bought the latest album of Sparks on CD and the complete Stargate SG-01 series on DVD. Last one was on special offer (61 DVDs for 58 EUR), so I couldn't resist.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

billy rubin

i bought one of those dongels that lets a spotify account play through the amplifier my daughter used for her bsse guitar

now i can finally crank the music up until the building rattles

you cannot appreciate igor stravinsky at less than full volume

hermes2015

Quote from: billy rubin on June 03, 2023, 07:14:29 PMi bought one of those dongels that lets a spotify account play through the amplifier my daughter used for her bsse guitar

now i can finally crank the music up until the building rattles

you cannot appreciate igor stravinsky at less than full volume

👏

Or Mahler.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames