News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

What books have you read more than twice?

Started by The Magic Pudding., December 14, 2022, 11:47:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Magic Pudding.

Besides the Bible what books have you read more than twice?
This may have been done before.
Doesn't matter, we'll do it again.

I'm watching Dune, I've read those many times, I love Leto II.
LOTR and the Hobbit
Douglas Adams
I haven't done Thrones for a third çause the TV is so good.

Others, I'll have to think on it, I've lost count, how many times with Cugel?

Bluenose

Douglas Adams - Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy, a trilogy in six parts
David Brin - Uplift books (2 x series of 3), The Postman, The Practice Effect
Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelle - Footfall, The Mote In God's Eye
Greg Bear - Darwin's Radio

Lots more I'm sure.

+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Asmodean

The Wheel of Time - the whole series twice, the first four books thrice. (Working on book 5)

When I was a kid, I practically read a hole in some Jules Verne. More than twice... Hmm... In Search of the Castaways, surely. 20K leagues - probably.

A few textbooks on programming, leadership and political theory.

It's not a very long list. The list of books I've read exactly twice is much longer.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Anne D.

Pride and Prejudice, The Information, Dead Babies, many Philip Larkin poems, Wolf Hall. And yet I remember little to nothing. 

Tank

All of the Disc world stuff some many times. Started LotR but just couldn't do it a second time. I don't know why I couldn't put it down the first time, the magic just wasn't there. Now I come to think of it the only other books I have read more than once at the HHGttG series.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tom62

Isaac Asimov's ,,Foundation trilogy". Roger Zelazny's ,,Amber series". Fredric Brown's ,,Martians, Go Home!". Clifford Simak's ,,Way station". A.E. Van Vogt's ,,Slan".
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Dark Lightning

From Asimov to Zelazny, I've read many of their works several times. Currently revisiting the Amber series. I have at least 100 scifi novels.

billy rubin

moby dick
lotr

toby chipmunk

for whom the bell tolls

everything loren eisely ever wrote

all the tintin books

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Recusant

I have read very few books twice (yes, the Christian Bible is one of them) and can think of none that I have read more than twice. I did read Gravity's Rainbow twice though, which may qualify. It could be the first book I read three times. :lol:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

hermes2015

I am not counting academic textbooks here, so the only book that I have read twice for pleasure was Aldous Huxley's Island. The first time was as a schoolboy shortly after it came out. As a huge Huxley fan, I couldn't wait to read it; I had read all his novels by the time I was 14. I reread it a few years ago, when I appreciated it as much as the first time, but with the deeper understanding that maturity brings.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

i did the same with orwells novels, essays, and letters.

his essay on shooting an elephant was very thought provoking to me, as it took place while he was a colonial policeman in burm, and i lived farther south in malaya

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

MarcusA

I have read several books twice. Poetry is always worth reading several times.
This user has been banned for spamming the forum.

Icarus

I have read a small book called the book of Genesis several times. Sounds like a con job to me. The book is contained within a much larger collection of books the sum of which is commonly called the bible. The collection would more correctly be called a Codex.

One of the ones that I have read more than once is a book by a British historian :Selina O'Grady. Book title is: And Man Created God. The book does not assail the Christian, Catholic, Hebrew, Buddha or other beliefs. It is merely a history of religious practices and the outcomes over time. O'Grady lets the reader draw their own conclusions.

Tom62

I've read Isaac Asimov's Foundation Trilogy twice as well as Roger Zelazny's Amber Series.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

MarcusA

This user has been banned for spamming the forum.