News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II

Started by Asmodean, September 08, 2022, 07:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean

People were born, lived long lives and died - all under her reign. 70 years on the throne.

Truly a legendary head of state in our time.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

treading carefully here?

she seemed a nice enough lady, on her own. certainly more honurable than some of her relatives. but she presided as head of state over a lot of shameful politics, without producing any condemnation that i am aware of throughout her long reign.

the mau mau:

the emergency:

the troubles:

she was not my sovereign, and i will not pursue the sins of the dead. but there's a lot of people in the world dancing in the streets right now and hoping that the politics that she represented die with her.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tank

The relationship between the Queen and politics is very different from that of a POTUS and the actions of the US. The Queen was very much an apolitical figure. She was the head of state, not the head of politics as such.

The Queen reigned she did not rule.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

billy rubin

that was the english position, yes.

yet the IRA saw her as a valid military target.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/day-ira-tried-bomb-queen-7720396

she was a nice lady, like i said. but lots of people hated her intensely enough to try to kill her.

can i repeat that i dont want to speak ill of the dead? the atrocities over which she served as head of state are mostly ancient history, unless you are kikuyu, malay, or irish. now that she is dead, it will be easier to forget them, maybe. she was not my sovereign, and im not going to presume to judge her.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Ecurb Noselrub

I, for one, as a professed Anglophile, am sorry to see her go. This is the first day of my almost 70 years that she hasn't been around. I feel like I grew up with her reign. She represented her nation well, I think. All nations have their sins - Lord knows the USA has its share. But she provided a sense of permanence and stability, which is critical for any nation to survive and thrive. She had a few missteps - Diana's death, for example - and she could have done with out Prince Andrew. But, Her Majesty was a pretty nice girl. So glad I got to actually see her, albeit from a distance, in London in October. She was a bridge to a different world, a true piece of history. My condolences to the UK - I will miss her.

Asmodean

Quote from: billy rubin on September 08, 2022, 08:40:41 PMshe presided as head of state over a lot of shameful politics
Nearly three quarters of a century on the throne. Of course, she did.

Quote...without producing any condemnation that i am aware of throughout her long reign.
It may not always have been her place to.

Our monarchy works a little differently, but I think this much is similar; His Majesty is not a politician. I think his most important role is to be a rallying point, of sorts, to the nation in times of shock or trouble. Be you a staunch This-voter or a die-hard That-fundamentalist - doesn't matter (Well, except maybe in the case of some particularly loathsome Communists who think that monarchy - and even the nation, in the more extreme cases - should be abolished entirely, but that lot would never rally behind a banner not specifically theirs to begin with)

Sometimes this role can work against its purpose, but overall, in my opinion, it is well worth preserving. Granted, both His Majesty and His Royal Highness are good at their job. I might have thought otherwise under a worse monarch.

In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

billy rubin

im ignorant of tbe subtleties of royal marriages. charles married diana in the midst of a long term and clearly deep relationship wih camilla, and it got messy afterwards.

couldnt charles have simply married camilla rather than diana in the first place? what was going on there?

was it a wallis simpson thing or similar?

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on September 09, 2022, 02:56:19 PMim ignorant of tbe subtleties of royal marriages. charles married diana in the midst of a long term and clearly deep relationship wih camilla, and it got messy afterwards.

couldnt charles have simply married camilla rather than diana in the first place? what was going on there?

was it a wallis simpson thing or similar?

Camilla wasn't suitable. She was damaged goods.

Ecurb Noselrub

Tank, now that Mom is dead, do you think the UK will fall apart? Mom's death often brings the knives out amongst siblings. Tito held Yugoslavia together, and look what happened after he died. Sometimes I feel that with Elizabeth gone, Scotland and some of the other Commonwealth nations will say "fuck off". What do you think?

Tank

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on September 09, 2022, 07:17:39 PMTank, now that Mom is dead, do you think the UK will fall apart? Mom's death often brings the knives out amongst siblings. Tito held Yugoslavia together, and look what happened after he died. Sometimes I feel that with Elizabeth gone, Scotland and some of the other Commonwealth nations will say "fuck off". What do you think?

It'll be a time of change no doubt. I don't think we'll fall apart any time soon.

Tank

Asmodean

Quote from: Tank on September 09, 2022, 07:41:44 PMIt'll be a time of change no doubt. I don't think we'll fall apart any time soon.
Yeah, I honestly don't see the Commonwealth falling apart with her passing. From what I've seen of His Majesty king Charles III so far, he seems up to the task, and the Commonwealth is... More than the crown, practically speaking.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Ecurb Noselrub

The words you hear most associated with the Queen are "dignity", "duty", and "service". I am thinking that true "dignity" is almost a dead concept in the modern world. There are those who exhibit "duty" and "service", but the combination of all three traits is exceptionally rare. She was truly unique in this respect. But, is dignity even relevant anymore? Just askin'.