News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Exploring Music

Started by hermes2015, October 09, 2021, 01:48:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermes2015

Billy, this is dedicated to you, since I know you are always willing to explore new music. In this thread we can introduce composers who are not necessarily in the mainstream, but who we think are worth listening to at least once. If they sound interesting, it can be a fun project to explore them further.

The first composer we don't hear very often is Ottorino Respighi (1879 - 1936), who wrote wonderfully descriptive music. I don't usually like programmatic music, but I make an exception for Respighi, whose music I enjoy from time to time.

This is his Pini di Roma, which starts with an evocation of the wind in the pines at the Villa Borghese. The beginning gives me goose bumps every time, and ends with a glorious, almost Wagnerian, climax in his description of the pines of the Appian Way. There isn't much to understand in this and his other descriptive compositions, one has to simply sit back and let it wash over you.

He wrote a few other similar works. I recommend Fontane di Roma, which describes the fountains of Rome.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

cool!

and look how the conductor makes the whole orchestra stand up and get credit when he walks in.

how many conductors do that for their orchestras?

not enough

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

billy rubin

at the end too. he doesnt even turn around until he thanks all his people

first rate

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

hermes2015

Quote from: billy rubin on October 09, 2021, 04:57:36 PM
at the end too. he doesnt even turn around until he thanks all his people

first rate

I can often assess someone's character by looking at their face. He looks like a decent fellow to me.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

his actions speak loudly. i usually see orchestral conductors walk onto the stage as if they were demigods, and never turn or notice the human beings in their orchestras.

not one conductor is worth a shit unless he has a competent orchestra backing him up. i seldom see them acknowledge this.

hermes2015

I am guessing that the Italian composer Mario Castelnuovo-Tedesco (1895 – 1968) is not familiar to many here, although he composed many works for guitar. Here is John Williams (the guitarist, not the film composer) playing Castelnuovo-Tedesco's Guitar Concerto No. 1, with Eugene Ormandy conducting. The concerto has 3 movements, split into separate videos by YouTube. I encourage you to listen to all three for a brilliant experience.

1. Allegretto

2. Andantino alla romanza

3. Ritmico e cavalleresco

If this excites you, there are many other Castelnuovo-Tedesco works on YouTube.
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

damn

he haf me with the flute in the first one

im listening to them again over breakfsst

hermes2015

Quote from: billy rubin on October 17, 2021, 01:13:56 PM
damn

he haf me with the flute in the first one

im listening to them again over breakfsst

Glad you're enjoying it. This particular recording was one of the first LPs I bought when I started buying music in my late teens. The only downside for me is that one work is split into 3 videos on YouTube, which is a shame, because one movement should follow the previous one seamlessly.
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

I would like to introduce the Brazilian composer Heitor Villa-Lobos (1887 – 1959), who wrote many works that are worth exploring, including a harmonica concerto and nine suites, inspired by Bach and Brazilian folk music, called Bachianas Brasileiras.

Harmonica Concerto

Bachianas Brasileiras No. 5.

― Charles Eames

Icarus

Here is more exceptional music by a spectacularly talented group of musicians.  https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=bbc+proms+2010+roger+and&view=detail&mid=D80FB77926CB009EE096D80FB77926CB009EE096&FORM=VIRE

If you cannot access this video, try BBC Proms 2010, Rodgers and Hammerstein.

Yeah, I know that this is not to everyone's taste but it is a superb performance.