News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Jonty Bravery - Sentenced

Started by Randy, June 26, 2020, 04:40:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: billy rubin on June 29, 2020, 03:51:40 PM
so youre defining evil as an act, but not az a disposition?

ive been trying to decide.

for example, if it is evil to set cats on fire, is it also evil to enjoy thinking about other people doing it?

IMO evil is an act, something that is not purely inside someone's mind but 'materialises' in the real world to affect other people. Unexpressed thoughts are just thoughts and don't necessarily affect other beings.

I think if someone enjoys the thought of other people setting cats on fire, they may have a very low threshold to commit evil acts. To enjoy the suffering of others, especially defenseless or innocent animals seems like a highly psychopathic trait.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Randy

When I was a kid, I came up to two other kids who just smashed a turtle. It was still alive and they were laughing. I felt sorry for the turtle.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

billy rubin

well, what about someone who likez to watch people drown?

suppose this person hangz around the beach and waits for someone to get into difficultiez, then watchez them die rather than call for help.

this individual has performed no act of evil, but haz failed to perform an available act of good.

is he guilty of anything?

here in america that did not uze to b.v e the case. there is a growing public consensus that failure to render aid is a crime, but its quite new

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Dark Lightning

I'll bite. It is entirely possible that that person can't swim. If s/he is the only person on the beach, they'd be putting their own lives at risk. I personally would try to reach or throw, but I'm not a good enough swimmer to save my own life, were I in deep water.

Many years ago when I was training as a HAZMAT worker, one of the issues brought up was when one would be required to perform a rescue. Case in point was a wrecked semi hauling glacial acetic acid. The Fire Department was not equipped to safely approach the scene because of the ruptured tank. The driver's family sued and lost, because nobody, even life-saving personnel, is required to risk their lives to save another.

billy rubin

that would be an exceptoon, certainly

im still not convincex that evil requirez action. tho. tbeoretically an act that is truly evil in its execution stems from an evil thought. the act cannot occur before the thought occurs.

the thought of evil therefore is a prerequisite for evil actz, ans exists indeendently of acts. while the acts cannot occur before the evil thought.

one is prior and the other dependent. so i suspect it is possible to be evil even without acting

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Dark Lightning

I consider evil undone to be a thought crime. I'm OK with that.

billy rubin

in america we punish people all the time for conspiracy, thinking about or talking about crimes they never committed.

i haven't made p my mind about that. there's lots of things we criminalize that i don't see as criminal, such as hate crimes, in the sense of making a penalty for an act more severe if the motivation for the crime was bigotry