News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jumbojak

I was screamed at last night while I was pumping gas. Called a white devil mother fucker trump supporter. I'm not, for the record. Well, I'm white at any rate. This was easy enough to ignore until he started talking about coming over and hitting me. It wouldn't have ended well for him, I doubt he would've made it to within ten feet of me, but it was still unsettling.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

billy rubin

do not forget.

21 feet is the legally accepted minimal distance.

set the function, not the mechanism.

jumbojak

I really hope it never comes to that. I had physical barriers to use in that situation to give me time for a response. If I wasn't concerned he might have a knife I'm fully capable of whipping wholesale ass on the side of the road. An entangled knife fight is a scary thought though.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Randy

Quote from: billy rubin on January 24, 2021, 02:23:00 AM
do not forget.

It never ceases to amaze me how you know all this stuff! :)
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Dark Lightning

Good to see you back, JJ! Sorry about your encounter.

billy rubin

Quote from: Randy on January 24, 2021, 02:57:03 AM
Quote from: billy rubin on January 24, 2021, 02:23:00 AM
do not forget.

It never ceases to amaze me how you know all this stuff! :)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tueller_Drill

1.5 seconds is the nominal time a trained shooter requires to draw aim and shoot a firearm. in that time an assailant can nominally cover 21 feet.

if an attacker is with 21 feet you have an decent argument in court for why you shot him if he attacks you.

set the function, not the mechanism.

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 23, 2021, 11:17:38 PM
Today, just to see how easily I could get away with it, I made funny faces under my mask. No one seemed to notice the alternating crooked smile, poked out tongue, puckered lips and bared teeth. Win.  ;D

:rofl: Love it!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

hermes2015

Today, just to see how easily I could get away with it, I made funny faces under my mask. No one seemed to notice the alternating crooked smile, poked out tongue, puckered lips and bared teeth. Win.  ;D

Perhaps they were distracted by your weirdly swollen eye.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: jumbojak on January 24, 2021, 02:08:48 AM
I was screamed at last night while I was pumping gas. Called a white devil mother fucker trump supporter. I'm not, for the record. Well, I'm white at any rate. This was easy enough to ignore until he started talking about coming over and hitting me. It wouldn't have ended well for him, I doubt he would've made it to within ten feet of me, but it was still unsettling.

Ok. The obvious question is why was he shouting at you?
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

No one

Some folks thrive on perceived toughness.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on January 24, 2021, 02:32:25 AM
I really hope it never comes to that. I had physical barriers to use in that situation to give me time for a response. If I wasn't concerned he might have a knife I'm fully capable of whipping wholesale ass on the side of the road. An entangled knife fight is a scary thought though.

It is a scary thought!  :o
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on January 24, 2021, 11:55:03 AM

Perhaps they were distracted by your weirdly swollen eye.

Did he just say that?

:lol:

It's probably true.  ;D
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

jumbojak

Quote from: Tank on January 24, 2021, 12:29:34 PM

The best I can figure is because I exist.

Tank

Quote from: jumbojak on January 25, 2021, 02:04:17 AM
Quote from: Tank on January 24, 2021, 12:29:34 PM

The best I can figure is because I exist.

Wrong place, wrong time, wrong face.

LifeisSweet

The world is full of idiots, and you meet most of them on the road.  Something about being enclosed and protected by thousands of pounds of steel brings out the bravado.  I always keep a handgun in my center console just in case.  I'm sure I will never have to use it, but having it provides some sense of comfort.  Here in Appalachia I have heard of several people being called a devil just for wearing a mask!
"When we exist, death is not; and when death exists, we are not." Epicurus