Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tom62 on August 17, 2020, 09:10:56 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 17, 2020, 08:41:13 PM
Damn, that sucks, Tom.

Thanks, Silver .At least I'm glad that I'm on vacation now, so that I had the time to fix it. Having an up-to-date backup set around also eases the mind. Nevertheless you lose a lot of time with this kind of crap.

Yes, lose a lot of time and gain lots of white hair strands.  ;D

Mine is due for a clean-up soon. It's slow as hell. I bought this laptop in 2014 and haven't formatted it once. ::)   
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Icarus

On startup, I got a blue screen today.  Bummer!  Took me a while to sort it out.

Randy

Quote from: Tom62 on August 17, 2020, 08:27:49 PM
The latest Windows 10 update screwed up my laptop completely. After the update I got a black screen of death. Couldn't uninstall the update, repair didn't work, nor could I go back to a previous system restore point The only thing that did work was to reset it to the factory settings. After that the painful process of reinstalling the software and user data started.
No data was lost, but I would have wished that a Windows restore would have been just as easy as a Time Machine restore on a Mac.
I haven't had one of those yet but every time there's a Windows 10 update I cringe. I haven't backed up my computer in a while. I've got to find my backup drives but they got lost in the move downstairs to my "hospital room". Not everything made it and my bedroom is still upstairs although I'll never use it again. Anyway, it was cleaned up while I was in the hospital and everything was put into a large box.

I'm tethered to a feeding pump right now and coming soon, this week in fact, an oxygen tank. Getting around is getting difficult so going upstairs to find my backup drives will be a chore.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

hermes2015

The latest Windows 10 update screwed up my laptop completely. After the update I got a black screen of death. Couldn't uninstall the update, repair didn't work, nor could I go back to a previous system restore point The only thing that did work was to reset it to the factory settings. After that the painful process of reinstalling the software and user data started.
No data was lost, but I would have wished that a Windows restore would have been just as easy as a Time Machine restore on a Mac.

What works well for me is Acronis True Image. I have a physically separate hard drive (C:\) that only has my Windows operating system on it. I install all my programs onto another hard drive, so drive C: is only 500 GB. I create an image of drive C: onto another physical hard drive, that is 2 TB, when everything is working faultlessly. Then, when Windows goes bad, I just boot up from the Acronis boot CD and restore the image of drive C:. The whole operation takes less than 30 minutes to be up and running again.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tom62

Quote from: hermes2015 on August 18, 2020, 12:36:35 PM

What works well for me is Acronis True Image. I have a physically separate hard drive (C:\) that only has my Windows operating system on it. I install all my programs onto another hard drive, so drive C: is only 500 GB. I create an image of drive C: onto another physical hard drive, that is 2 TB, when everything is working faultlessly. Then, when Windows goes bad, I just boot up from the Acronis boot CD and restore the image of drive C:. The whole operation takes less than 30 minutes to be up and running again.

I like that setup that you've got. My laptop has only one SSD drive so I've got Windows running together with all my other programs and data  on drive c:\.  I've now made a Win-PE recovery USB stick sothat I still be able to bootup and restore my laptop incase Windows get stuck again after an update.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

hermes2015

Quote from: Tom62 on August 18, 2020, 08:57:53 PM
Quote from: hermes2015 on August 18, 2020, 12:36:35 PM

I like that setup that you've got. My laptop has only one SSD drive so I've got Windows running together with all my other programs and data  on drive c:\.  I've now made a Win-PE recovery USB stick sothat I still be able to bootup and restore my laptop incase Windows get stuck again after an update.

Acronis True Image can still work for you if you create the C: image on an external USB hard drive.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

There are bats in the roof again. ::) One decided to come into my room and fly around a bit. It wasn't welcome at all but it just kept on flying around anyway, gleefully ignoring my shrill screams. 

I put an electronic bat repellent in my room, hopefully it works. 

First zombies, then...vampires, maybe? :notsure:

Fun.

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 22, 2020, 10:21:44 PM
There are bats in the roof again. ::) One decided to come into my room and fly around a bit. It wasn't welcome at all but it just kept on flying around anyway, gleefully ignoring my shrill screams. 

Fun.

I would be careful. Shrill screams are perceived as mating calls by male bats.
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on August 23, 2020, 04:30:37 AM

Fun.

You are an evil shit! :rofl:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on August 23, 2020, 09:09:54 AM

Fun.

You are an evil shit! :rofl:

Why, thank you, kind sir.
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Fun.

Evil indeed! :lol:

Dark Lightning

:lol: Not grumpy, now! You guys make me laugh.  :thumbsup:

Randy

Fun.
Maybe the zombie stuff has gotten monotonous and now it's time for vampires again?
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

xSilverPhinx

The bag of shit President of Brazil published a decree yesterday nominating the person of his choice to be the Dean of the university I go to. There is one tiny detail, the community of students, professors and other employees voted about a month before...and Carlos Bulhões, the pro-government candidate came third with only 12% of votes. Now he's been bumped up the list by the presidential tumor.

What will this mean? If he's allowed to take office and is not removed all the pro-social rights that took years for the less privileged and affluent, for the non-whites and for indigenous peoples to secure will be undermined and possibly stripped away. Professors and students will be persecuted for their political leanings. The student class, which was a force to be reckoned with during the military dictatorship, will be smothered.     

The Brazilian constitution of 1988 guarantees that federal universities have autonomy. What the head vermin of State has done is a throwback to the military dictatorship which ended in 1985. This is just another in a chain of events in which the piece of shit interferes with public institutions and is very worrisome.

Third world problems. 

Icarus

Many of we Americans are marching to a similar drummer, Silver.  Our vermin president does install his acolyte toafdes to positions of influence.  The Postal service springs to mind, so does the secretary of Education, the secretary of Housing and human resources and.........It is a long list.  :felix:

That you have sympathetic company will not fix your problem.  The best we can do is to feel your pain. Count me in.