News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Historical step forwards in the Netherlands

Started by Tom62, May 11, 2021, 05:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom62

As of the 2021/2022 season, it will be possible for women in amateur football to play in category A for men, reports the KNVB. The fact that women can now also play in the A category for men is a historic moment for amateur football in the Netherlands and worldwide.

Jan Dirk van der Zee, KNVB amateur football director: ,,Until now, mixed football was possible in the entire youth competition in the Netherlands. However, once women reached senior age, they had to choose between playing in a women's league or continuing to play mixed in the B category. Based on the current zeitgeist and recent research results, we no longer see any reason to hold on to this and opt for equality and diversity. We want girls and women to find a suitable place in the football landscape based on their qualities and own ambitions."
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

billy rubin

traditionally, women have competed in womens-only teams in order to allow them to excell without having to contend with the physical size and muscle mass of average men.

thi shas resulted in women's teams being neglected in all sorts of areas, especially in soccer, where they bring in the most money but are paid less, as i understand it.

i am all for simply incorporating women seamlessly into sports, in the same way that we incorporate shorter and less-muscle-bound men into sports, based on their specialized abilities. i am thinking of kickers in american football, for example. or maybe fielders and basemen in baseball.

is this a fair solution?

for example, in america, we have recently seen women kickers in american football. they're doing fine, as i understand it. will we see similar specialization in other sports, where women simply dominate those aspects of the sport that they are better equipped to perform in?

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tom62

Women soccer players know that they can't physically compete with men in professional soccer. But that doesn't mean that they can't or shouldn't compete on amateur level. Now they are offered that chance.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

billy rubin

i wonder about that.

what do women athletes say about competing directly against men?

i dont know much about sports, so i dont have a useful opinion.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Bad Penny II

Quote from: billy rubin on May 12, 2021, 10:34:40 AM
i wonder about that.

There has been (of course) resistance to female jockeys in horse racing.
It the past some females would pretend to be male and had some success.
Michelle Payne won our countries biggest race, only the fourth fem allowed to race apparently.
She thanked those that deserved to be and then:
"Just want to say to everyone else, can get stuffed, because they think women aren't strong enough but we just beat the world"

It seems to me horses are mostly a female passion these days, males ride machines.

There was this thread: https://www.happyatheistforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=15375.0
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Tank

Quote from: Tom62 on May 11, 2021, 05:40:21 PM
As of the 2021/2022 season, it will be possible for women in amateur football to play in category A for men, reports the KNVB. The fact that women can now also play in the A category for men is a historic moment for amateur football in the Netherlands and worldwide.

Jan Dirk van der Zee, KNVB amateur football director: ,,Until now, mixed football was possible in the entire youth competition in the Netherlands. However, once women reached senior age, they had to choose between playing in a women's league or continuing to play mixed in the B category. Based on the current zeitgeist and recent research results, we no longer see any reason to hold on to this and opt for equality and diversity. We want girls and women to find a suitable place in the football landscape based on their qualities and own ambitions."

Excellent. It's be interesting to see how this plays out. Of particular interest will be when a female player should be selected for the national team.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

Quote from: Bad Penny II on May 12, 2021, 02:37:58 PM
Quote from: billy rubin on May 12, 2021, 10:34:40 AM
i wonder about that.

There has been (of course) resistance to female jockeys in horse racing.
It the past some females would pretend to be male and had some success.
Michelle Payne won our countries biggest race, only the fourth fem allowed to race apparently.
She thanked those that deserved to be and then:
"Just want to say to everyone else, can get stuffed, because they think women aren't strong enough but we just beat the world"

It seems to me horses are mostly a female passion these days, males ride machines.

There was this thread: https://www.happyatheistforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=15375.0

there are some decent women motorcycle racers. here's maria costello of triumph

and there are super competent land speed riders.  valerie thompson is famous, and is pushing 300-plus mph

i don't know what the issue is. if they can compete, let em in. i don't know if a woman could manage a center forward position on a professional football team, but i don't see why they couldn't be wicked strong goalies. just put em where they do better than men and forget their gender.

Recusant

Quote from: Tom62 on May 11, 2021, 05:40:21 PM

Cool.  :thumb: :smokin cool:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken