News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Do they listen to themselves?

Started by Xiilent, May 23, 2012, 10:05:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xiilent

Yesterday I was sitting in my AP english class spectating senior speech presentations and one of them did "The Evolution of God" as a topic. While the presenter did a good job about presenting the information instead of trying to promote his beliefs, I was sitting there wondering if he was listening to himself. Ill start off by saying a little of his information: There have been many religions, many before christianity, many after. The majority of all the wars the world has seen have had some factor of religion. Christianity itself has changed drastically from its origin, just like all religions, etc. The presenter was christian, so he did somewhat give more information on christianity, but I dont understand how he can stand there talking about his and other religions without noticing the inconsistencies and contradictions. I'm kinda in a rush so I can't completely talk about the entire situation, but has anyone else noticed that it seems a lot of religious folk (not just christians) give information that is inconsistant to their own religion yet they still have "faith"?

Ecurb Noselrub

Perhaps, when you have more time, it would be helpful to point out some specific contradiction and discuss that.  Your OP is pretty broad and is difficult to respond to without being too general.  I suppose that some believers are inconsistent and some are not, but let's pick a particular topic.

Asmodean

I think it's often the case of people acquiring beliefs elsewhere and after a time and possibly a speckelt of refinement calling them their own. That in itself is not really a problem, but people trusting their own "inner knowing" (interprete it as you please) too much is.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

xSilverPhinx

Like Ecurb said, you would have to present some of what he said specifically. Was he talking about scripture? The origins of biblical stories and myths? The similarities between Jesus and other prophets at the time?

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Xiilent on May 23, 2012, 10:05:58 PM
but has anyone else noticed that it seems a lot of religious folk (not just christians) give information that is inconsistant to their own religion yet they still have "faith"?

Isn't that pretty much the definition of faith?
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Xiilent

Well by now i've forgotten the specifics of what he said, but i was just using that example to introduce my question of whether it seems like the religious seem to accept historical records and other facts but look past them when they contradict their religion.

rainbowcat212

Really, Christians say a lot of things that make no sense. We can look at this in the historical aspect and the social aspect.

Historical aspect: I've met people that said that the Crusades never happened. They said that God would never make anybody fight for him (which in that case would make a lot of the bible stories false as well..)

Social aspect: Just recently, a NC pastor said that he wanted to starve all the gays to death. If they listened to what they were saying, they would realize that this goes against the teachings of the bible. Your supposed to use the golden rule.... not want to kill people.

In short, I think that christians overlook a lot of things..
So many years have passed, since I proclaimed my independence, my mission, my aim, and my vision, so secure, content to live each day like it's my last, it's wonderful to know, that I could be, something more than what I dreamed, far beyond what I could see -Dream Theater

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Xiilent on May 25, 2012, 02:31:54 AM
Well by now i've forgotten the specifics of what he said, but i was just using that example to introduce my question of whether it seems like the religious seem to accept historical records and other facts but look past them when they contradict their religion.

They do, and again, that's pretty much the definition of faith.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany