News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Petrol head thread!!!

Started by billy rubin, October 29, 2019, 10:41:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 26, 2020, 09:20:12 PM
Quote from: billy rubin on May 26, 2020, 09:13:06 PM

:sherlock3: Ok, what am I looking at here...looks like a colony of metal organisms of some sort.

its an aeroplane motor. there are four separate engines, each shaped like a flower with seven petals, all bolted together into a line. each of those finned pumpkins has a separate piston and connecting rod in it. th eblack tube is carrying the fuel from the carbs to the cylinder this is what just one might look like:

what it does is turn a single flower-shaped radial engine with seven cylinders into a long combination engine with 28 cylinders. you can't see it, but the propeller is off the image to the right.

radial engines are very short(not this one) and so they can fit into aeroplaces without making them long. look at this fockewulfe with a radial:

compare it with this messerschmidt that has an inline engine

the old radial engines were as much a work of art as they were exercisesin engineering design.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

xSilverPhinx

Oh it's an airplane motor!  8) Ok, I knew for sure it couldn't be a motorcycle motor so at least I got that right! :P
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Magdalena

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 26, 2020, 10:19:49 PM
Oh it's an airplane motor!  8) Ok, I knew for sure it couldn't be a motorcycle motor so at least I got that right! :P
:snicker:
It looks like something from The Matrix.
:popcorn:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Magdalena on May 26, 2020, 11:57:17 PM

:chin: Now that you mentioned it...

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dark Lightning

Hey Billy, I used to write work instructions to go with my designs. We had places for the assembler and a quality tech to sign after an important operation. Maybe you'll want to think about that. When I worked as a mechanic, I couldn't tell you how many times I went and checked oil pan drain plugs, just like you are doing here with the rod bolts. Never found a loose one there, either.  :thumbsup:

billy rubin

actually the boundaries between airplanes and motorcycles can be blurred in a lot of cases. here is a P51 mustang, designed in 1940 and used with a rolls royce merlin that made up to 1800 horsepower:

the mnotor was an inline V12, liquid cooled. they made a lot of these motors, and sometimes australians saw off two of the cylinders and put them into a motorcycle frame:

theyre always australians, for some reason.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

billy rubin

Quote from: Dark Lightning on May 27, 2020, 02:07:54 AM
Hey Billy, I used to write work instructions to go with my designs. We had places for the assembler and a quality tech to sign after an important operation. Maybe you'll want to think about that. When I worked as a mechanic, I couldn't tell you how many times I went and checked oil pan drain plugs, just like you are doing here with the rod bolts. Never found a loose one there, either.  :thumbsup:

i keep a logbook for recording changes to the motor i make, things like cam timing, piston to valve clarances, and sprocket sizes and jetting and so forth. it has never occurred to me to write up a checklist, but that is a very good idea.

what i normally do with a motor is assume that i have no brain, and work accordingly. for example,  all the rod bolts are painted one of four colors--red, blue, green, or yellow. a red bolt goes into a hole in one rod painted red. that rod fits onto the crankshaft in a position matching a line of red paint on the cases. if there is no oil in the gearbox, i paint NO OIL on the cover, and clean it off when i fill it.

i paint all the critical bolts after i torque them so if th epaint marks don't line up, i know theyre loose.

i painted my rod bolts too but then i put the motor together and couldnt see them anymore.

Magdalena

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 27, 2020, 01:16:59 AM
Quote from: Magdalena on May 26, 2020, 11:57:17 PM

:chin: Now that you mentioned it...

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Randy

It looks like something one of my evil villains would concoct. It's time for the Wildcards to jump in and save the day!
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Dark Lightning

Quote from: billy rubin on May 27, 2020, 02:22:57 AM

actually the boundaries between airplanes and motorcycles can be blurred in a lot of cases. here is a P51 mustang, designed in 1940 and used with a rolls royce merlin that made up to 1800 horsepower:

the mnotor was an inline V12, liquid cooled. they made a lot of these motors, and sometimes australians saw off two of the cylinders and put them into a motorcycle frame:

theyre always australians, for some reason.

Back in the early '70s, there was a guy named Ed Woods who put an Allison V12 into a '64 Chevy Malibu. It wasn't as fast in the quarter as one would expect. I guess traction was an issue. I don't seem to be able to find what it turned in the quarter, though. I had a far more pedestrian '64 Malibu SS with a 283, 4GC Rochester, Powerglide trans and glass packs. I did a lot of suspension work to make up for the low power. Few people with big engine cars could get away from me when road racing. https://www.hotrod.com/articles/throwback-thursday-this-wild-1964-chevy-malibu-funny-car-was-a-street-legal-1710ci-allison-v12-powered-monster/

billy rubin

handling makes up for a lot of power. smokey yunick was king of nascar driving hudsons, back when all hudsn had to offer was a flathead six. im told the steering system on th ehudsons (and presumeably the suspension) was extremely good, and that combined with yunick beinng who he was let him run around the fords and chevrolets. i put a 350 chevrolet into a 1950 hudson once, and it was okay in a straight line but not impressive on th ebraking.

ive never run a 4GC, but ive heard of them. an interesting insrument. ive only run quadrajets in the eight cylinder stuff i used.

hermes2015

pratt and whitney R-4360 Radial "Corn Cob" Engine

four banks of seven cylinders. ttoo fuzzy to see the finning well, but it looks really graceful

I know it gets tedious, but I am cursed with this compulsion to make connections with art. Here is a sculpture by Berrocal:

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dark Lightning

Quote from: billy rubin on May 27, 2020, 04:03:00 AM
handling makes up for a lot of power. smokey yunick was king of nascar driving hudsons, back when all hudsn had to offer was a flathead six. im told the steering system on th ehudsons (and presumeably the suspension) was extremely good, and that combined with yunick beinng who he was let him run around the fords and chevrolets. i put a 350 chevrolet into a 1950 hudson once, and it was okay in a straight line but not impressive on th ebraking.

ive never run a 4GC, but ive heard of them. an interesting insrument. ive only run quadrajets in the eight cylinder stuff i used.

Well, I got one cheap and the manifold, too. Under extremely hard cornering, one side of the carb would starve 4 cylinders, the other 4 would get too much fuel. Of course the other guys had similar carburetors, but they were generally straight-line rockets, because they were raised in the back for the bigger tires. So they couldn't corner that fast. I'd lose miserably in a race on the freeway. One of my friends had a '62 Grand Prix with a 389, tri-power and a 4 speed. I don't know the rear end ratio, but it topped out at about 130, and got there quickly. Pontiacs don't rev that high without lots of prep, and he eventually spun a rod bearing. I could get my Malibu to 120, but it took over a mile, with that 3.08 axle ratio.

billy rubin

Quote from: hermes2015 on May 27, 2020, 04:56:04 AM
pratt and whitney R-4360 Radial "Corn Cob" Engine

four banks of seven cylinders. ttoo fuzzy to see the finning well, but it looks really graceful

I know it gets tedious, but I am cursed with this compulsion to make connections with art. Here is a sculpture by Berrocal:

its not tedious at all. the mind of the artist is in every inspired engineer.

lookat the rhythm in both pieces. its like three dimensional music.

but im not even really sure what art is.

billy rubin

Well, I got one cheap and the manifold, too. Under extremely hard cornering, one side of the carb would starve 4 cylinders, the other 4 would get too much fuel. Of course the other guys had similar carburetors, but they were generally straight-line rockets, because they were raised in the back for the bigger tires. So they couldn't corner that fast. I'd lose miserably in a race on the freeway. One of my friends had a '62 Grand Prix with a 389, tri-power and a 4 speed. I don't know the rear end ratio, but it topped out at about 130, and got there quickly. Pontiacs don't rev that high without lots of prep, and he eventually spun a rod bearing. I could get my Malibu to 120, but it took over a mile, with that 3.08 axle ratio.

how did you figure out what was causing the fuel distribution issue? i know some people weld ridgesinto the floors ofthe manifolds trying to redirect liquid fuel to the lean side, but you have to know whats happening first.

i remember the six pack manifolds. they now say that theyre not a lot better than a single four barrel, but thats comparing them to something like a newish holley. and you still cannot beat them for cool.