News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Workshop and fixit stuff

Started by Dave, July 10, 2017, 07:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on March 17, 2021, 04:07:25 AM

Henry O. Studley, tool chest holding around 300 tools; made of rosewood, ebony, ivory and mother of pearl, late 19th century, USA. The set is fixed to the wall and opens like a book.

That's amazing. It must have needed a strong wall to hold it!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dark Lightning

That's gorgeous as well as functional. I'm a member of a wood working forum where several members have (sort of) replicated that. I wonder how many iterations were involved before the final result came? I've built 6 chests so far to hold my carving tools, and am not kidding myself into thinking I won't make another. Part of that is because the tool count is evolving (upwards). The rest is because I like building them.

billy rubin

wow.

what an interesting cultural statement, too. in addition to all the specialty wood tools, there are machinist's stuff-- dividers, thread and screw gauges, sheet metal gauiges, and combination squares.

the separation between carpentry/cabinetry and precision machining/metalwork hadn't yet occurred.

but i can only see two wrenches-- a larger and smaller monkey wrench. so i'm guessing that heavier machine work was done by a blacksmith, and not onby one of these guys.

there's lots of stuff in there i don't even recognize.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tank

Just finished this. It's a casket for my mother in laws ashes until we get to scatter them when the lockdown is over.

It started out as a 90mm thick 200mm oak plank. It used all the skills I have learned over the past 12 months. Finished with tung oil.

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Tank on March 18, 2021, 12:41:27 PM
Just finished this. It's a casket for my mother in laws ashes until we get to scatter them when the lockdown is over.

It started out as a 90mm thick 200mm oak plank. It used all the skills I have learned over the past 12 months. Finished with tung oil.

Very nice! That plank was 90mm thick? Did you resaw that with your bandsaw? How did you flatten it afterwards?

Tank

Quote from: Dark Lightning on March 18, 2021, 01:59:34 PM
Quote from: Tank on March 18, 2021, 12:41:27 PM

Very nice! That plank was 90mm thick? Did you resaw that with your bandsaw? How did you flatten it afterwards?

I put the whole plank through my planner/thicknesser. Then resawed it into 15mm strips with the band saw. I edge joined these strips (mini planks) in pairs. Then another trip through the planner/thicknesser down to 13mm 'ish. That gave me my raw material. I finished the internal faces to 120g and the external faces to 240g. Built the box. Then cut the top off with a Irwin Japanese style pull saw. Finished the edges of the cut to 240g. Then finished the outside faces to 600g. Two coats of tung oil and then added the hinges and fittings.

Dark Lightning

Wow, that's a hard way! I didn't think you had a table saw. That would have simplified things. I'm more impressed with the results, given the amount of hand work.

Tank

Quote from: Dark Lightning on March 18, 2021, 04:51:32 PM
Wow, that's a hard way! I didn't think you had a table saw. That would have simplified things. I'm more impressed with the results, given the amount of hand work.

Well I do have a table saw I used it to cut the mini planks straight. I used the bandsaw to resaw as it is more forgiving of mistakes and wastes less wood.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Tank on March 18, 2021, 04:57:06 PM

Well I do have a table saw I used it to cut the mini planks straight. I used the bandsaw to resaw as it is more forgiving of mistakes and wastes less wood.

Ah. I figured you didn't have a table saw when you used the pull saw to cut off the lid. I don't ever want to have to hand plane a board straight enough join it to another (without a power jointer, anyway). I straighten edges on the table saw, too.

Tank

Quote from: Dark Lightning on March 18, 2021, 06:09:27 PM
Quote from: Tank on March 18, 2021, 04:57:06 PM

Ah. I figured you didn't have a table saw when you used the pull saw to cut off the lid. I don't ever want to have to hand plane a board straight enough join it to another (without a power jointer, anyway). I straighten edges on the table saw, too.

I toyed with the idea of using the table saw to cut off the lid but I was worried it would rip the whole thing apart :)

billy rubin

what will you do with it after you scatter the ashes?

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on March 18, 2021, 08:55:05 PM
what will you do with it after you scatter the ashes?

My wife is going to use it to store things in in her 'office'.

Dark Lightning

Your MiL is lucky to have some respect. My FiL's ashes are in a plastic bag in a pseudo-leather box that held some (expensive) scotch. :???: He didn't even drink scotch. The neighbor across the street was throwing it out and my wife glommed onto it.

billy rubin

i keep telling my wife to just hang me in a tree for the buzzards when i kick, but she says i won't have anything to say about it.

which is really true, tbh

Dark Lightning

OK, we're getting pretty far off topic, but I will add that I had considered donating my body to science. That can be done, and they will harvest what they can use and cremate the remainder, which is returned to your family. All that is free. It turns out that there is green burial, which returns one's body to the soil in a number of ways. The big deal for me with this is that cremation is a heat-intensive (thus carbon-intensive) process, and embalming just seems to be a racket, as far as I am concerned. I'd like to think that my rotting dead carcass would provide some nutrition for a tree. I'll be looking further into this, and, depending on what I find, incorporating it into my wishes for what happens after I die.