News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Photography, photos you took, photos you are in, photos you like, the lot!

Started by Tank, June 07, 2011, 07:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

Success!  Thank you, Tank.  

This was a capture by surprise.  I took the shot at Mission San Juan Capistrano and thought I was just getting the flowers, I didn't see the hummingbird until I got home and downloaded the images.

Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Sandra Craft

I tried to add this to my last post, but it wasn't co-operating.  That's OK, one technological step forward at a time.  In this one I thought I was taking a picture of the surf and didn't notice the seagull till later.  The bird makes the picture, I think.
Sandy

Tank

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on September 06, 2011, 03:44:54 AM

Success!  Thank you, Tank.  

This was a capture by surprise.  I took the shot at Mission San Juan Capistrano and thought I was just getting the flowers, I didn't see the hummingbird until I got home and downloaded the images.

I had a look through your pictures on Flikr and this one really stood out! The shots with oil rigs were interesting with the juxtaposition of the brutal industrial rigs sitting in the beautiful natural setting.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Tank on September 06, 2011, 08:31:19 AM
I had a look through your pictures on Flikr and this one really stood out! The shots with oil rigs were interesting with the juxtaposition of the brutal industrial rigs sitting in the beautiful natural setting.

You mean this one?

I don't know if that picture would be more or less evocative without the fog (I think it's fog). 

I know what you mean about the contrast of the rig and the ocean, I always feel a little depressed after taking these pictures but on the other hand I expect I benefit from what the rigs are doing.  It's uncomfortable, like being in favor of animal rights and craving bacon.
Sandy

Tank

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Sandra Craft

Quote from: McQ on September 07, 2011, 10:29:43 PM
A couple from the back yard the other day. Love these little guys!

Yep, and they are not easy to get a picture of either.  I've tried doing it deliberately and it's just an exercise in frustration.  Did having the feeder help slow them down?
Sandy

McQ

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on September 08, 2011, 03:47:42 AM

Yep, and they are not easy to get a picture of either.  I've tried doing it deliberately and it's just an exercise in frustration.  Did having the feeder help slow them down?

They are tricky to photograph. The feeders definitely bring them in if you keep the sugar water fresh. It doesn't slow them down, but the feeders with the little railings do help in one way. It gets them to perch and drink. Although I prefer shots of them hovering, it's really nice when they perch because they stay for much longer periods. The birds not having to expend the tremendous energy required to stay at a hover is a big reason for this. They'll perch for up to a minute sometimes, whereas they will only hover in one spot to drink for several seconds.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Tank

{snip}

I was hoping we'd get to see these little critters again. They're beautiful shots.

McQ

Quote from: Tank on September 08, 2011, 07:37:03 AM

{snip}

I was hoping we'd get to see these little critters again. They're beautiful shots.

Thanks. I'm happy they're still hanging around. I thought they'd go migrate or something by now!
--Penn Jillette

Sandra Craft

Quote from: McQ on September 08, 2011, 09:26:05 PM
Thanks. I'm happy they're still hanging around. I thought they'd go migrate or something by now!

I saw a hummingbird at work today, first one I've ever seen near the area in 8 yrs.  I wonder is it's an environmental thing?
Sandy

Recusant

I've been enjoying the great images in this thread, but haven't contributed anything in a while.

South Falls at Silver Falls Park in Oregon
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

^^^ That's impressive. I bet it's amazing after a lot of rainfall.

Xjeepguy

If I were re-born 1000 times, it would be as an atheist 1000 times. -Heisenberg

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Recusant on September 10, 2011, 04:15:57 AM

South Falls at Silver Falls Park in Oregon[/center]

Breathtaking!  Do you live near this, or were you visiting?
Sandy

McQ

--Penn Jillette