News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Photography, photos you took, photos you are in, photos you like, the lot!

Started by Tank, June 07, 2011, 07:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: Xjeepguy on August 20, 2011, 02:31:51 PM
I love this thread. Tank, those pics are amazing. The ladybug pic especially. That inspires me to save up for a good camera.

As for the Mig pics, Wow. The pic of the one taxiing on the runway is poster-worthy. Thats the kind of thing I would have framed on my office wall.

Very nice, keep it up!
A good camera isn't cheap, but running one nowadays is really cheap compared to film. I took 233 pictures yesterday at the races. That would have been 7 rolls of film at £12 each to buy and develop, that is £84!! I can get all those pictures on 1/4 of memory card that cost £9. I used to spend way more on film than gear in the days of film. A good camera will last a long time if looked after and give hours of fun. Suppose you spend £600 on a good camera and spend 3 hours a week out and about using it. That's £4/hour, which is less than going to a football match, going to the cinema, etc, etc. And a camera can last for many years, the more you use it the cheaper it gets!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

Went back to the little pond at Lotherton Hall on Monday.

Pond skater.

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Tank

Tank

McQ

Quote from: Tank on August 25, 2011, 09:09:34 PM
A toadlet about an inch long

I hope you don't get tired of lots of "Oooohs!" and "Ahhhhhs!", because you're getting some right now! All three shots are spectacular, but the toads look 3D. Ok, for that matter (upon looking again) they all do. Sweet!

Also, thanks for the comments on the air show and ducky!

No doubt, this is my all-time favorite thread from this forum.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Tank

I just worry people will get bored with the photos I post. I really like to see everybody elses.

Xjeepguy

Love the first toad pic. Awesome work Tank. I will never get tired of your pics.
If I were re-born 1000 times, it would be as an atheist 1000 times. -Heisenberg

McQ

Quote from: Tank on August 25, 2011, 10:17:17 PM
I just worry people will get bored with the photos I post. I really like to see everybody elses.

Man, I'd have to go a long, long way to get tired of these! Seriously, this is like opening presents every time I come into the thread. You'll run out of pictures before I run out of Ooohs and Ahhhhs!

:)
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Tank

Quote from: McQ on August 26, 2011, 03:53:16 AM
Quote from: Tank on August 25, 2011, 10:17:17 PM

Man, I'd have to go a long, long way to get tired of these! Seriously, this is like opening presents every time I come into the thread. You'll run out of pictures before I run out of Ooohs and Ahhhhs!

:)
That is a very good way of putting it. Having been mad keen on aircraft all my life I love the aircraft pictures. I also love travel and don't do enough of it so I enjoy shots of places too.

Too Few Lions

I'm a bit of a fan of stone circles and ancient temples (my degree's in archaeology). Here's a couple of photos of Castlerigg that I took on holiday a couple of weeks ago. It's probably the most spectacular that I've visited (in the UK at least).
It always annoys me when the pope comes out with his crap about the 'irrefutable Christian roots of European culture and civilization', these places remind me that Europe had a long history before Christianity was enforced on us...

oh, and they were taken with a cheap Samsung camera that I bought off ebay for £55  ;)

Tank

If one follows the link (by clickingong the picture) you can see all this useful information!

QuoteSize:   157Kb
Resolution:   800 x 600
Camera used:   SAMSUNG SAMSUNG ES70, ES71 / VLUU ES70, ES71 / SAMSUNG SL600
Orientation:   Horizontal (normal)
Focal length:   7.8 mm (35 mm equivalent: 44.0 mm)
Aperture:   f/4.5
Date/Time:   2011-08-09 18:24:20.00
Exposure time:   1/350
Lens F-Number:   f/4.5
ISO:   100
Whitebalance:   Auto
Metering mode:   Multi-segment
Exposure:   Program AE

When were the stones placed?

Too Few Lions

it's dated to around 3200 BCE, so that makes it a good 700 years older than Stonehenge or the Pyramids

Tank

Too Few Lions

hehe I got lucky the day i went, but there were plenty of bleak days in the Lakes in August!
Mind you, I pity the fools who celebrated the winter solstice out on that stone circle 5000 years ago.

The scenery's beautiful, but the next holiday I go on will definitely be somewhere warm and sunny. This isn't really the sort of weather I like on a summer holiday...

Xjeepguy

That is beautiful. Nice work. I am fascinated by things like that as well.
If I were re-born 1000 times, it would be as an atheist 1000 times. -Heisenberg