News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Photography, photos you took, photos you are in, photos you like, the lot!

Started by Tank, June 07, 2011, 07:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Love the pensive mood shot orang-outangs are wonderful.

An old entomologists trick is to pee on the food plants of particular insects, the insects often return and stay put for the salts in the dryed urine. Never tried it myself. That butterfly just sat still for 30 seconds!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

McQ

Quote from: Tank on July 02, 2011, 12:19:13 PM
This is an odd one. I've never seen this insect before. Just got the one shot.

I'm wondering if it's some type of Hornet? I don't know. I'm terrible at identifying insects, trees, birds, and flowers.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Tank

It's definitly not a wasp as it's only 10mm long. So I don't think it's a hornet. It's much more like an overweight ant with wings.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Whitney

Quote from: Tank on July 02, 2011, 09:28:33 AM
So where to start. A Canon Rebel RX is the entry level SLR it comes with a basic 18-55mm lens and has a 10M px sensor. It's not a professional camera so it's not made to take the rough and tumble of the press/sports user. However it will get you started. The lens will give decent shots and as you are talking architectural work you're going to need a tripod and work with the lens set to get deep depth of field which will help the lens perform at it's best. This camera is listed $550 on the Canon site. But a good e-bay buy should halve this.

Cool..that's about the range I was hoping for in researching without knowing what I actually needed.  Compared to 6,000 seats of revit that doesn't sound too bad as far as business expenses are concerned.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: McQ on July 02, 2011, 11:46:57 PM
Quote from: Tank on July 02, 2011, 12:19:13 PM
This is an odd one. I've never seen this insect before. Just got the one shot.

I'm wondering if it's some type of Hornet? I don't know. I'm terrible at identifying insects, trees, birds, and flowers.

Don't worry about naming it, just accept it as a wonder of god's creation.
It's an example of god tricking other insects into not biting this one.

That seemed to start well but I don't have an ending I'm happy with.
What does he put yellow stripes on to stop us tasting?
Is it proof god is tricky?  Deception is a tool that's cool to use?
Thou shalt not lie unless you're a yellow striped insect.

Na, god wouldn't do that, I think the devil has interfered with this insect.

Stevil

Tank

Quote from: Stevil on July 03, 2011, 06:00:14 AM
looks like a german wasp to me
Had a look at that and it's not one of those. The German Wasp is what I would consider to be a normal wasp. This is noticeable smaller than that species and the abdomen is more tapered.

MariaEvri

God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

Tank

McQ

Since we are currently celebrating Independence Day here in the U.S., I'll throw this in from our local fireworks display last night (yeah, they hold our fireworks display two days before the fourth...go figure).

13 sec exposure, ISO 200, f/10. Tripod and cable remote to trip shutter.

--Penn Jillette

McQ

A fun one. Baseball players are always trying to disparage pitchers by saying they have "no arm". Well.....

--Penn Jillette

hismikeness

If you ever see the videos of the pitchers when they break their arms in mid-pitch, this picture shows why. That is an intense amount of torque on his arm.
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

Stevil

Not to mention the tongue, but somehow it all adds to the speed of the ball.

OldGit

Tank

Quote from: McQ on July 04, 2011, 04:39:00 AM
Since we are currently celebrating Independence Day here in the U.S., I'll throw this in from our local fireworks display last night (yeah, they hold our fireworks display two days before the fourth...go figure).

13 sec exposure, ISO 200, f/10. Tripod and cable remote to trip shutter.

Beautiful! Excellent composition, sharp, colourful and atmospheric! Just beautiful.