News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Photography, photos you took, photos you are in, photos you like, the lot!

Started by Tank, June 07, 2011, 07:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

DeterminedJuliet

"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Tank

If I keep really, really quiet they may not notice me  :)

Fairburn Ings RSPB centre
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Tank

Tank

Tank

A coots arse (yes it's an English coot).

Detail of its leg and feathers.

McQ

The swan's foot and the coot photos are tremendous. The fine detail in the swan's foot is amazing. It blew me away, and you're right, I don't think I've ever seen one up close (partly because I'm just barely smart enough to know never to get too near a swan!). Great stuff!
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Whitney

I'm jealous of the awesome photos..

Hopefully within the next year I can afford a good camera...at least good enough to take great photos of buildings.  What kind of price range should I be budgeting for?

Tank

Quote from: Whitney on July 02, 2011, 05:56:12 AM
I'm jealous of the awesome photos..

Hopefully within the next year I can afford a good camera...at least good enough to take great photos of buildings.  What kind of price range should I be budgeting for?
The answer to the budget question depends on what you are taking the pictures for. If they are for a quality critical semi-professional print quality you'll be talking a 10M px sensor in an SLR body. If you are talking architectural work you will need a lens with a focal length that goes as low as 18mm minimum, or16mm if you can stretch to it.

So where to start. A Canon Rebel RX is the entry level SLR it comes with a basic 18-55mm lens and has a 10M px sensor. It's not a professional camera so it's not made to take the rough and tumble of the press/sports user. However it will get you started. The lens will give decent shots and as you are talking architectural work you're going to need a tripod and work with the lens set to get deep depth of field which will help the lens perform at it's best. This camera is listed $550 on the Canon site. But a good e-bay buy should halve this.

MariaEvri

God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

Tank

Quote from: MariaEvri on July 02, 2011, 11:44:30 AM
Quote from: Tank on July 01, 2011, 09:41:10 PM
A coot feeding its chick.

what lens for this one?
Sigma 180mm f3.5 macro, pre-digital so effectively a 270mm on the Sony A200 body. Works well on the digital body, Sigma now do a full frame, digitally optimised 150mm f2.8 in its place. Sigma make good macro lenses because the owner is a mad keen macro photographer himself.

Tank

This is an odd one. I've never seen this insect before. Just got the one shot.

MariaEvri

alright

from national geographic
I just love storms and clouds!
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

Tank

OldGit

^ Another winner, Tank.  How do you train these bugs - do you feed them?

Here's a rare self-portrait, in pensive mood: