Photography, photos you took, photos you are in, photos you like, the lot!

Started by Tank, June 07, 2011, 07:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

I have always liked the way a photography can reveal what the unaided eye can not see.

Common garden snail.

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

McQ

Quote from: Tank on June 15, 2011, 09:58:22 PM
I have always liked the way a photography can reveal what the unaided eye can not see.

Common garden snail.

Yep, this thread is way more fun than I expected! That snail is awesome. I'll probably use that word a lot but the photo deserves it!

I agree, photography lets us take our time and see a moment that would otherwise flash by and possibly go unnoticed.

The B&W trees are also...yes...awesome! I love the way the branch in the foreground leads my eye to the main subject. That's good composition right there.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

McQ

Quote from: Tank on June 15, 2011, 09:56:15 PM
Can't wait for the humming birds!

That's quite an unusual shot with the spider against that yellow background, it makes it stand out very nicely.

That is my lawn with the setting sun shining on it (right after a nice rain shower), creating a nice, bright background. The vertical posts of my deck were unavoidable, although I could crop them out if I wanted. I didn't want to crop too closely though, and ruin the web with the water droplets.
--Penn Jillette

Tank

Quote from: McQ on June 15, 2011, 10:51:11 PM
Quote from: Tank on June 15, 2011, 09:56:15 PM
Can't wait for the humming birds!

That's quite an unusual shot with the spider against that yellow background, it makes it stand out very nicely.

That is my lawn with the setting sun shining on it (right after a nice rain shower), creating a nice, bright background. The vertical posts of my deck were unavoidable, although I could crop them out if I wanted. I didn't want to crop too closely though, and ruin the web with the water droplets.
I agree that cropping out the decking would be a bad idea the web is virtually invisible on the bright background and spider sort of looks suspended in mid air.

Tank

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Tank on June 15, 2011, 10:01:49 PM

That's a great Desktop Pic.  !!

Did you use a flash on that hummingbird, McQ?  Excellent.  It pops right out regardless of that blue thing in the foreground.

Tank

I hadn't thought of that. I tend to have very plain desktop backgrounds.

Tank

Stevil

I like the tree pic, it has an eiree feel to it which appeals to me

McQ

Quote from: Tank on June 15, 2011, 11:04:53 PM
A micro landscape with an ink cap mushroom.

The downside to this thread is that these great macros of yours are going to make me go out and buy a macro lens! I have to look around the house and see what I can sell first!
--Penn Jillette

McQ

Quote from: Tank on June 15, 2011, 11:10:00 PM
A honey bee drinking

Let's see:

Awesome Mushroom shot. Check.
Awesome Honeybee shot. Check.

Awesome macros which make everyone go "Ooooooh!". Check!

A.D. I did use a flash on the hummingbird. I happened to have it on the camera at the time and figured I'd light it up a bit more than normal by using Fill Flash.
--Penn Jillette

Tank

Quote from: McQ on June 16, 2011, 06:23:36 PM
Quote from: Tank on June 15, 2011, 11:04:53 PM
A micro landscape with an ink cap mushroom.

The downside to this thread is that these great macros of yours are going to make me go out and buy a macro lens! I have to look around the house and see what I can sell first!

You know what's the worst thing? As owner of a Nikon you have access to the worlds best Macro lens! http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Products/Product/Camera-Lenses/2160/AF-S-VR-Micro-NIKKOR-105mm-f%252F2.8G-IF-ED.html

If you can't stretch to that then I'd go for a 150mm Sigma.

original_gender

Tank

Quote from: original_gender on June 16, 2011, 08:14:03 PM
Quote from: Tank on June 15, 2011, 11:10:00 PM
A honey bee drinking

Quote from: Tank on June 15, 2011, 09:58:22 PM
Common garden snail.

I love these. I think you and Kobayashi Issa would have gotten along famously.

O snail
    Climb Mount Fuji,
    But slowly, slowly!