Photography, photos you took, photos you are in, photos you like, the lot!

Started by Tank, June 07, 2011, 07:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

original_gender

Quote from: Tank on June 14, 2011, 03:19:24 PM
Three little piggies sleep, unaware of their ironic resemblance to sausages in a frying pan  ;)

Oh man, pigs are so cute. Look at their big tasty ears.

McQ

Three little piggies sleep, unaware of their ironic resemblance to sausages in a frying pan  ;)

This would win pretty much any photo contest you enter it into!
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Stevil

Tank

Quote from: McQ on June 14, 2011, 07:20:07 PM

This would win pretty much any photo contest you enter it into!
I've never entered a photo competition, I might try now  ;D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

Quote from: Stevil on June 14, 2011, 08:00:16 PM
Quote from: Tank on June 14, 2011, 03:21:15 PM
Hunter.

How the hell did you take that one?
There is a bird sanctuary not far from here which has a pond with a wood walkway around it. I took my Sigma 180mm macro and a tripod. I sat on the walkway, cross legged with the tripod only part way open and and the pan and tilt movements just griping so I still had some movement. I then spent about an hour waiting for the insects to pose. Took about 200 shots all told and then filtered those down to a handful. This is one of the others.

'Hunter' is a crop from this frame

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Tank

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on June 14, 2011, 08:12:03 PM
Quote from: Tank on June 14, 2011, 02:58:10 PM
WEeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!

Very cool.

Cheers. That's another example where digital just lets you keep shooting until you get the 'Money shot'.

Ihateyoumike

Alright... so since it's clear we have a few people in this thread who know their shit when it comes to photography, I might finally get the answers I've been looking for as to what the hell happened in the following pictures:

I took these last fall at Smith Rock State Park near Redmond where I live. Now, I'm just a point and shoot type, and I was using my old camera. No clue what the camera specs are (though I probably still have it somewhere) but it was a 4 megapixel digital camera that I had for probably 6 years.

I have never seen a picture with such a pronounced, dark black circle appearing over the sun. And here I got 2 of them. Clearly, there was nothing there in real life and Mr. Occam told me that it's gotta be something the camera did because of the brightness of the sun. That said, it'd be pretty fun to think I caught a ghost or a UFO blocking the sun. lol

What really makes me wonder what could have caused it is that no other picture I ever took with the camera had a spot like that, and it's over the sun in both pictures but not in the same spot within the frame because of the different angles. And it's just so damn dark, black, ominous, and cool looking. And yes, I realize the overall quality of the pictures suck.

So Tank, McQ, or any of you other smart guys and gals out there tell me what happened to these pictures?
I'm guessing the answer will be something so simple it'll make me feel stupid for not figuring it out myself.
Prayers that need no answer now, cause I'm tired of who I am
You were my greatest mistake, I fell in love with your sin
Your littlest sin.

McQ

Quote from: Tank on June 14, 2011, 08:17:11 PM
Quote from: Stevil on June 14, 2011, 08:00:16 PM
Quote from: Tank on June 14, 2011, 03:21:15 PM
Hunter.

How the hell did you take that one?
There is a bird sanctuary not far from here which has a pond with a wood walkway around it. I took my Sigma 180mm macro and a tripod. I sat on the walkway, cross legged with the tripod only part way open and and the pan and tilt movements just griping so I still had some movement. I then spent about an hour waiting for the insects to pose. Took about 200 shots all told and then filtered those down to a handful. This is one of the others.

Super nice, again. Mature photography can be a very long waiting game, and prior to digital, a very expensive game as well.
--Penn Jillette

Stevil

Quote from: Tank on June 14, 2011, 08:17:11 PM

It is much better with the crop, hard to focus on otherwise.

Tank

Quote from: Ihateyoumike on June 14, 2011, 10:50:55 PM
Alright... so since it's clear we have a few people in this thread who know their shit when it comes to photography, I might finally get the answers I've been looking for as to what the hell happened in the following pictures:

I took these last fall at Smith Rock State Park near Redmond where I live. Now, I'm just a point and shoot type, and I was using my old camera. No clue what the camera specs are (though I probably still have it somewhere) but it was a 4 megapixel digital camera that I had for probably 6 years.

I have never seen a picture with such a pronounced, dark black circle appearing over the sun. And here I got 2 of them. Clearly, there was nothing there in real life and Mr. Occam told me that it's gotta be something the camera did because of the brightness of the sun. That said, it'd be pretty fun to think I caught a ghost or a UFO blocking the sun. lol

What really makes me wonder what could have caused it is that no other picture I ever took with the camera had a spot like that, and it's over the sun in both pictures but not in the same spot within the frame because of the different angles. And it's just so damn dark, black, ominous, and cool looking. And yes, I realize the overall quality of the pictures suck.

So Tank, McQ, or any of you other smart guys and gals out there tell me what happened to these pictures?
I'm guessing the answer will be something so simple it'll make me feel stupid for not figuring it out myself.

I don't know the answer specifically, but I have seen the effect before on youtube on videos. My first thought has got to be an issue of image sensor overload. I'll have a look around.

McQ

On those photos with the black spot, I would have to agree that the sensor somehow was overloaded and shut down part of the image area where it was the brightest, but I don't know for sure. I'm not familiar with older digital cameras, but it's almost certainly a limitation of that particular sensor that caused the spot.
--Penn Jillette

Tank

After a bit of research the general opinion is overloaded pixels. Apparently the issue first appeared in digital video cameras where the issue resulted in a vertical white line so the software was modified to either read white or black at the overloaded pixel.

OldGit

Tank

Can't wait for the humming birds!

That's quite an unusual shot with the spider against that yellow background, it makes it stand out very nicely.