News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Official* HAF Video Game Thread

Started by curiosityandthecat, March 17, 2009, 08:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: history_geek on August 07, 2012, 09:01:46 PM
The hook blade was fun, too. However, I have this urge to go and find the person who thought that those infuriating "tower defense" bafoonaries were a good idea.

I thought they were ok, but only had to defend the towers once or twice...at first.:D  I would always bully one of the heralds or kill the Borgia messenger whenever I found them, so that kept my notoriety low enough.

AC can get a bit repetitive with their things, so having one more thing to do to add to the variety didn't hurt, especially while 'scanning' the whole city Rome and going after all the treasure chests, secondary quests and whatnot.

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

joeactor

Quote from: Sweetdeath on August 07, 2012, 04:16:50 PM
Got my 3DS  ;D ;D

Niiiiice - I got one before the price drop, but at least Nintendo ponied up some free games...

history_geek

Quote from: zeroday on August 07, 2012, 09:17:07 PM
Actually I never play the single campaign always live...

And there in lies the of my horror for future games. People seem single mindedly obsessed with "multi-player", that developers have gone about their way of making tutorials and naming them "single player campaign", that look cool in the game trailers.

There's two...well alright, five, now that I think about it, genre's that I don't touch with a 10-foot pole.

Sport games. Never been a sports fan, and I have very little interest in trying to simulate guys running around on a field after a ball of some description, or a disk, or trying to be the fastest by button smashing, when I could just put on a sport channel and watch real athletes, laughing as they fail or try to get away with faking an injury.

Horror games. Same thing with horror movies, I like my night sleep, as brief as it already is (says a guy who stays awake until 6am and has to be pried off his bed with a crowbar), and I don't get a satisfaction or adrenaline rush from soiling my underwear.

Driving games. For the shining exception that is Burnout 3 (and Xenu take the Takedown squeal), I again have very little interest in these types of games. As satisfying as it might be for the first few times to boost away, crash into the butt crack of a tree (in these games they seem to have those, for some reason) and recovering from that and finishing the race...it gets old. Fast.

MMORPG. WoW and it clone children and ripoffs. 'Nuff said.

Multiplayer. Any game, any genre. Not to same I'm anti-social or anything, but rather the fact I don't have the time, the money, the equipment or the interest to see myself being killed over and over again, while paying a yearly/monthly fee for the privilege. I do still reminisce from time to time by playing Day of Defeat, but that's about it.

...I've been watching way too many episodes of Zero Punctuation, haven't I?

@xSilverPhinx:

True, but as I noted, I couldn't find the buggers either quickly or frequently enough. As soon as I'd tipped off a herald (and stolen MY gold back...), I'd run off to do a mission, and lo and behold, sooner then I could say "Die, Templar!", my notoriety was back to 75%, instead of the almost 0%, that I had seen such an effort to get.

And I really have nothing against some diversity, but the tower defence sections were nighmarishly executed. If I'm suppose to lead a defence, I need a proper view, but no, I have to sit (or stand) on a roof to on the side of the alley that is to be my slaughter fest. The cannon was wasted opportunity, and controlling it was a pain. Positioning my assassins on the roof tops, which I first had to unlock with another assassin, was also a mess, thanks to the poor visibility and the fact that consoles handle such precision jobs like putting Space Marine models on a gaming table with a massive crane that you couldn't operate properly.

If they had done it just a bit differently, it might have been a fun little mini game, but instead it was the equivalent of combining ping pong and pacman.

Well, that turned into a novel again..now where's the paint, I need to see if I could get that Luna Wolves colour scheme right...
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C Clarke's Third Law
"Any sufficiently advanced alien is indistinguishable from a god."
Pierre-Simon, marquis de Laplace:
Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothése - I do not require that hypothesis[img]http://www.dakkadakka.com/s/i/a/4eef2cc3548cc9844a491b22ad384546.gif[/i

Crow

Quote from: history_geek on August 08, 2012, 12:03:22 AM
There's two...well alright, five, now that I think about it, genre's that I don't touch with a 10-foot pole.

What are your favorite genre's and why?

Don't know if I agree with you on the obsession with the multiplayer thing though. There are still many good games that stick to single player, it is true of the AAA games but they are similar to the blockbuster Hollywood films, they cater to the mass audience, that audience happens to be multiplayer for those kinds of games. I personally find that similar to film industry that the independents and smaller companies are producing the better quality products.
Retired member.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: joeactor on August 07, 2012, 11:50:50 PM
Got my 3DS  ;D ;D

Niiiiice - I got one before the price drop, but at least Nintendo ponied up some free games...

Oh yeah, which games?
I got the midnight purple one (it matches my hair) for $158 at target. Super sale!
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

history_geek

Quote from: Crow on August 08, 2012, 12:24:24 AM

What are your favorite genre's and why?

Don't know if I agree with you on the obsession with the multiplayer thing though. There are still many good games that stick to single player, it is true of the AAA games but they are similar to the blockbuster Hollywood films, they cater to the mass audience, that audience happens to be multiplayer for those kinds of games. I personally find that similar to film industry that the independents and smaller companies are producing the better quality products.

RPG's and Strategy games. I would say "Tactic games", but that's not the name of the genre. I have a soft spot for two things: a good story and large battles with me playing the general á la Total War-series. There's also some FPS/TPS type games, like Halo: Reach (which I happen to love) and Brothers In Arms: Road to Hill 30 & Hell's Highway. I also belong to to apparently odd crowd of having little against chest high wall-games. I suppose it just comes with a Sun Tzu-minded way of fighting: defence over offence. I actually have nothing against sitting behind a wall, popping the head off the next poor bugger that thinks he can put his head up, before moving to the next cover, though I'm no sniper. In fact games like Space Marine, that have men like closets not taking cover, have ended up on my "meh, one playthrough's enough"-list. Despite having a much better story then that movie that must have been the plot of Tzeentch to start hating UltraSmurfs more then people already to, and maybe turn to Chaos (*rant rantity rant about the depiction of "Black Legion" in that movie rant*)....

And I suppose I'm a bit "conspiratory" about the multiplayer thing, and I don't consider it a bad thing that they make them, but I see it as alarming that it is done on the expense of a single player (which is what they also market). And after watching my younger brother sink more time into CoD: World at War, MW2, Black Ops and MW3 "multiplayers" then was ever necessary, and seeing what they are like, I wonder if they are even putting any effort into those. Of course, I want my games to be a tad bit thought provoking, making me think my tactics and strategy, unless I'm playing Serious Sam or Duke Nukem (3D, thank you very much). Not to say that there aren't multiplayer games like that, but in the recent years the trends seems to be more about who has most gimmicks in their guns, and what "perks" you get to use...
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C Clarke's Third Law
"Any sufficiently advanced alien is indistinguishable from a god."
Pierre-Simon, marquis de Laplace:
Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothése - I do not require that hypothesis[img]http://www.dakkadakka.com/s/i/a/4eef2cc3548cc9844a491b22ad384546.gif[/i

joeactor

Quote from: Sweetdeath on August 08, 2012, 12:49:48 AM
Got my 3DS  ;D ;D
Oh yeah, which games?
I got the midnight purple one (it matches my hair) for $158 at target. Super sale!

People who bought the 3ds at the original $250 price were branded "Ambassadors", and got 20 free games - here's the list:
QuoteSuper Mario Bros.
Donkey Kong Jr.
Balloon Fight
Ice Climber
The Legend of Zelda
Metroid
NES Open Tournament Golf
Wrecking Crew
Zelda II - The Adventure of Link
Yoshi
F-Zero Maximum Velocity
Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3
The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
Kirby & The Amazing Mirror
Mario Kart: Super Circuit
Mario vs. Donkey Kong™
WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgame$
Metroid Fusion
Wario Land 4

I think they're all available on the marketplace or 3ds shop or whatever it's called ;-)

xSilverPhinx

True, but as I noted, I couldn't find the buggers either quickly or frequently enough. As soon as I'd tipped off a herald (and stolen MY gold back...), I'd run off to do a mission, and lo and behold, sooner then I could say "Die, Templar!", my notoriety was back to 75%, instead of the almost 0%, that I had seen such an effort to get.

And I really have nothing against some diversity, but the tower defence sections were nighmarishly executed. If I'm suppose to lead a defence, I need a proper view, but no, I have to sit (or stand) on a roof to on the side of the alley that is to be my slaughter fest. The cannon was wasted opportunity, and controlling it was a pain. Positioning my assassins on the roof tops, which I first had to unlock with another assassin, was also a mess, thanks to the poor visibility and the fact that consoles handle such precision jobs like putting Space Marine models on a gaming table with a massive crane that you couldn't operate properly.

If they had done it just a bit differently, it might have been a fun little mini game, but instead it was the equivalent of combining ping pong and pacman.

Well, that turned into a novel again..now where's the paint, I need to see if I could get that Luna Wolves colour scheme right...

Console...that must be it then. But yeah, it wouldn't have hurt to add some sort of mini map with an aerial view to help or some other way to foresee what was coming.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

zeroday

Asmodean

Aww! Poor little kid!

... ...  >:(

So what's the big fucking deal? Give him a fucking medal for making it through four days of dehydration. He probably knew that marathon gaming wasn't good for him and will likely do it again, now that he more-or-less knows his limits.

And that "OMG OMG I thought he was gonna DIIIIE!" crap. What's up with that? I've seen people go down a couple of times and my first thought was inevitably "Needs medical attention" not "Requiescat in pace"
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Crow

Retired member.

Sweetdeath

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: joeactor on August 08, 2012, 03:05:35 AM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on August 08, 2012, 12:49:48 AM
Got my 3DS  ;D ;D
Oh yeah, which games?

People who bought the 3ds at the original $250 price were branded "Ambassadors", and got 20 free games - here's the list:
QuoteSuper Mario Bros.
Donkey Kong Jr.
Balloon Fight
Ice Climber
The Legend of Zelda
Metroid
NES Open Tournament Golf
Wrecking Crew
Zelda II - The Adventure of Link
Yoshi
F-Zero Maximum Velocity
Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3
The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
Kirby & The Amazing Mirror
Mario Kart: Super Circuit
Mario vs. Donkey Kong™
WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgame$
Metroid Fusion
Wario Land 4

I think they're all available on the marketplace or 3ds shop or whatever it's called ;-)

That's pretty sweet.

I heard this isn't an R4 for the 3DS yet.

Crow

Retired member.

joeactor