News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Official* HAF Video Game Thread

Started by curiosityandthecat, March 17, 2009, 08:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wrath

Any Xbox Live users here? I've been shooting it up on Halo: Reach a lot recently, and I totally wet my pants when I saw videos of Halo 4 at E3. Except I didn't wet my pants.

Anyways, add me! My Gamertag is Comptonburger. No, I am not from Compton, and I have never had a hamburger from there either.

Steve Reason

Don't own a console anymore, strictly pc now. I would love to have all the old systems, and the new ones as well, but I can't justify the cost right now, so I upgraded my pc to play most modern games. Right now aside from a couple of Facebook games, I am playing Duke Nukem Forever, Halo, Mass Effect 2 and assorted older games that I have. Will be getting the Orange Half Life box soon, and hope to slowly add some other ones over time since I have a better system now. Can't wait to get Windows 8 since that should let me play Halo 2 for the pc. I never buy games right after they come out. The prices they ask for new titles are not for the casual gamer like me, or the poor person like me either. lol  ;D

But yeah, I do wish I had all those great, not-so-great-graphics games that I used to have back in the day. It's not the passion for me that it once was, but it's still a great time killer.
I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it. ~ Mark Twain

http://rumtickle.blogspot.com/

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Steve Reason on July 09, 2012, 11:17:27 AMCan't wait to get Windows 8 since that should let me play Halo 2 for the pc. I never buy games right after they come out. The prices they ask for new titles are not for the casual gamer like me, or the poor person like me either. lol  ;D

Windows 8 is going to be a cheap $40 for a short while.
I don't like metro interface but I'll probably pick up a licence anyway.

Crow

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 08, 2012, 03:21:02 AM
Crow, what took you so long? ;D

I know! I had the game since the beginning of December as well.

Quote from: Wrath on July 09, 2012, 05:05:53 AM
I've been shooting it up on Halo: Reach a lot recently, and I totally wet my pants when I saw videos of Halo 4 at E3. Except I didn't wet my pants.

I haven't played halo since the original but the gameplay demo of Halo 4 has tickled my fancy, it looks like what I wanted out of the Metroid series so I am sold.
Retired member.

Steve Reason

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on July 09, 2012, 12:03:21 PM
Quote from: Steve Reason on July 09, 2012, 11:17:27 AMCan't wait to get Windows 8 since that should let me play Halo 2 for the pc. I never buy games right after they come out. The prices they ask for new titles are not for the casual gamer like me, or the poor person like me either. lol  ;D

Yeah that's why I'm buying Windows 8 instead of 7. Windows 7 is like $299 for the full version, or $199 for the upgrade. I'm not really digging the Metro UI either, but at $40 it's kind of a no-brainer. I'll go 3rd party if I really crave the regular UI. I don't even care if that price is only for the upgrade version. No way will I see that price again. I'm really only buying it because XP will no longer be supported down the line, so might as well get what I'm eventually going to have no choice but to buy, plus the newer software that comes out will probably not work on XP machines.

Well, I should say that I am looking forward to a more stable and faster Windows, along with finally getting a 64 bit OS. So it's not all about necessity. I just worry about it being buggy and not being able to use my old software.
I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it. ~ Mark Twain

http://rumtickle.blogspot.com/

xSilverPhinx

Summer...Sale...On...Steam...

Must...Not...Buy...

Don't...Have....Monies...
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sweetdeath

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on July 09, 2012, 12:03:21 PM

$40? Wow, not bad. I'm loving Windows 7 so much though.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Crow

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 13, 2012, 01:33:09 PM

Must...Not...Buy...

Got any trading tips?
Retired member.

Sweetdeath

Come out with better colors, 3Ds. I want to buy you T__T;;

But I want dark blue, dark green, or silver.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Crow on July 15, 2012, 05:58:44 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 13, 2012, 01:33:09 PM

Must...Not...Buy...

Got any trading tips?

You could check out the Steam Trading Forums and trading groups to see what people are wanting to trade for, gives you an idea. I would bet on the slightly more expensive and newer games, since many people still want them and can't afford them at the moment for whatever reason. Some might not even be aware of the fact that Steam is having a massive sale right now and so will miss it. If you want to speculate, go for those.

The cheaper games are a bit tricky because a higher percentage of the people who want them will buy them. I've been wanting to get Terraria for instance. Went on sale for $2,50 (75% off) and I bought it. I'm assuming that many others like me would've done the same. If it were a game that generally costs around $50 and is now on sale for $20, it's still a bit more than some people can pay at the moment. When the Steam sale ends, it could probably be traded for a game worth around $40. 

Thing is the prices vary too much on Steam, and there are games which become very popular very quickly only to die out when the next one comes. You might buy a game intent on trading it when everybody wants it, only to find out that after like a week very few do. And to top it off there are loads of people who have had the same idea - buy cheap games and hold onto them till the prices rise again - who will rather desperately try and trade them about the same time as you. A disaster. There is the option of trying to trade expensive games for more stable items such as Team Fortress rare and unusual items (such as buds). Don't know if that's easy though, never tried.

Best thing to do really is buy the games you want to play. Coupons and vouchers are one thing, you don't buy them, but you can actually loose some money when buying games to trade them. It's a fun experience though.

Crow

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 16, 2012, 06:41:20 PM
You could check out the Steam Trading Forums and trading groups to see what people are wanting to trade for, gives you an idea. I would bet on the slightly more expensive and newer games, since many people still want them and can't afford them at the moment for whatever reason. Some might not even be aware of the fact that Steam is having a massive sale right now and so will miss it. If you want to speculate, go for those.

The cheaper games are a bit tricky because a higher percentage of the people who want them will buy them. I've been wanting to get Terraria for instance. Went on sale for $2,50 (75% off) and I bought it. I'm assuming that many others like me would've done the same. If it were a game that generally costs around $50 and is now on sale for $20, it's still a bit more than some people can pay at the moment. When the Steam sale ends, it could probably be traded for a game worth around $40. 

Thing is the prices vary too much on Steam, and there are games which become very popular very quickly only to die out when the next one comes. You might buy a game intent on trading it when everybody wants it, only to find out that after like a week very few do. And to top it off there are loads of people who have had the same idea - buy cheap games and hold onto them till the prices rise again - who will rather desperately try and trade them about the same time as you. A disaster. There is the option of trying to trade expensive games for more stable items such as Team Fortress rare and unusual items (such as buds). Don't know if that's easy though, never tried.

Best thing to do really is buy the games you want to play. Coupons and vouchers are one thing, you don't buy them, but you can actually loose some money when buying games to trade them. It's a fun experience though.

Thanks xSPx I just had a left over game from a 4 pack I bought when L4d2 was like £3. Most of the games I want on steam are less than the price of that at the moment so will properly buy them myself (but then again I have like 6 games I haven't even played and 5 I haven't completed yet, and steam sales are consistently going to happen) but I have had loads of offers from people trying to unload crap on me.
Retired member.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Crow on July 16, 2012, 06:53:31 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 16, 2012, 06:41:20 PM

Thanks xSPx I just had a left over game from a 4 pack I bought when L4d2 was like £3. Most of the games I want on steam are less than the price of that at the moment so will properly buy them myself (but then again I have like 6 games I haven't even played and 5 I haven't completed yet, and steam sales are consistently going to happen) but I have had loads of offers from people trying to unload crap on me.

Yeah, the low ballers are the plague of the Trading Forums, can't escape them.

xSilverPhinx

Crow, have you seen this Steam Exchange site?

You could probably find someone looking for L4D2 and offering a game you want.

Non Quixote

I do love me some video games!  I've played several MMOs including being addicted to Everquest for 8 years where playing for 40 hours a week was considered "casual".  My current poison is World of Warcraft, which I laughingly referred to as the "kiddie pool of MMOs" back while playing Everquest.  Over the last few years though all MMOs have become essentially kiddie pools so the slur has gone stale.

Loved Starcraft, was a bit disappointed with Starcraft II (12 years to finish and they couldn't even change the damned music?!), still dip into Guild Wars occasionally and no longer have any interest in console games.

And man was LoTRO a bitter disappointment.
Ya give 'em books and they just chew on the covers...
"Faith is something you believe that nobody in his right mind would believe."    ~ Archie Bunker

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Non Quixote on July 18, 2012, 03:55:34 PM
And man was LoTRO a bitter disappointment.

Yeah, itrecently became free to play so I installed it, being a LotR fan. Kind of boring.

I'm currently addicted to DOTA 2. I can't seem to get enough of it.