News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Official* HAF Video Game Thread

Started by curiosityandthecat, March 17, 2009, 08:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Godless

I've mostly been playing Battlefield 3 and it's addicting as hell! I still need to beat all the games I bought from the Steam summer sale before I even consider buying Skyrim. I bought like 18 games from Steam for under $100 and I've only played like maybe 4 or 5 of them.

Whitney

My husband has been playing Skyrim during practically all of his free time since it came out. 

He just got the new Halo game in and said it was a huge disappointment (apparently maps were recycled and background sound was annoyingly loud in comparison to other sounds)...don't waste your money; rent if you are curious.

I got Dance Central 2 and think it is an improvement over the format of the first one (kinect).

xSilverPhinx

I just bought The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion  (huge discount on Steam, 75% off today)...Asmo, now I know what you meant when you mentioned looting ;D There are lootables practically everywhere!
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

history_geek

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 17, 2011, 03:47:38 AM
I just bought The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion  (huge discount on Steam, 75% off today)...Asmo, now I know what you meant when you mentioned looting ;D There are lootables practically everywhere!

Anything and everyting apart from the walls, tables and doors... ;D

@Whitney: Did you mean Reach, ODST or the Halo Anniversary? Reach is pretty ok, the Anniversary is a remake, but from what I've heard ODST was not worth a penny..  :-\ Right, the Anniversary version, another game for the xmas bag....*sigh* And here I was dreaming of geeting a Space Marines Megaforce.... (And I mean the real plastic ones ;D . For ~130€ I get the stuff that would otherwise cost ~200€....)

Edit: Oh, and my recomendation for Oblivion, go for stealth, bow and armourer. And start by doing the Assassins Guild mission first before any of the other Guilds (well, if you're into magic, I guess you could do that at the same time...). You get pretty good bonus items if you do the missions accorading to plan (kill the target without being seen, etc), and one mission especially was...thrilling *eeeeevil grin* MUHHAHHAHAHA! (says the guy that is usually the Paladin in other RPG's... :-\ )
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C Clarke's Third Law
"Any sufficiently advanced alien is indistinguishable from a god."
Pierre-Simon, marquis de Laplace:
Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothése - I do not require that hypothesis[img]http://www.dakkadakka.com/s/i/a/4eef2cc3548cc9844a491b22ad384546.gif[/i

xSilverPhinx

I've started out as a battlemage, seemed like the best bet, but after playing a while I've noticed that my lock-picking skills are lacking and that I won't go very far without it. ;D As for stealth, I'm a bit too impatient for that.   ::)

I've also noticed that simply hopping while running around will gain you acrobatics points, might look a bit odd but...

;D

history_geek

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 17, 2011, 02:50:53 PM
I've started out as a battlemage, seemed like the best bet, but after playing a while I've noticed that my lock-picking skills are lacking and that I won't go very far without it. ;D As for stealth, I'm a bit too impatient for that.   ::)

I've also noticed that simply hopping while running around will gain you acrobatics points, might look a bit odd but...

;D

Yeah, the good old bunny hop. Gains you Acrobatics and then some. Also, try hopping on roof too, it's fun ;D . Forgot the lockipicking, that's pretty damn usefull too. And yeah, stealth isn't for the impatient, but the rewards are well worth it, I can garantee it  ;)

The most pointless skill to me was alchemy and potion making. Sure, you can get some interesting combonations, but i never had the patiance to learn all the different formulas.... :/ Oh, and remember to read books. Some increace a skill (can't remember how much though....), so even if you don't feel like actaully reading them, at least open them, so you can get that free extra boost to your stats ;)

Hmmm, what other old tricks were there....well, there was pickpocketing, but you need good stealth to pull those off. Archery I already mentioned...oh, right, remember to keep some silver arrows or other weapons with you. Vampires and ghosts don't like them, and they pretty much ignore anything else... :/ Also, be careful with that one house that is on sale in...hmmm, what was that city again...I think it was the southern most on the left side of the map. Anvil or something? and in that one Daedra Lord quest where you have to take out some vampires. Get hit by them, na dif you don't have silver, you might end up as one of them, and from what I've heard, the only possible way to trn yourself back is a real pain in the neck side quest....

And in Oblivion, remember that you can enhance your weapons with the sigil stones or whatever they were called. Flame wepons were fun, though those shock-lightning ones were pretty cool too....

And if remember to go to the Imperial Arena in the capital, fight some gladiator fights, and remember to swing your sword as much as you can. Oh wait, they called it "practice". Well, anyway, keep swinging for some minutes and you ought to get boosts to your blade skill.

i think that's about as much as i remember at the moment. Have fun ;D

*Edit: Seing at the dummies that they have at the arena, most prefrerrably, that way you actaully get the exp (or equivelant) out of it.  :-X

**Edit: And don't use your best blade for it either. Use a lesser weapon, I think you still get the same ammount out of it. And it it breaks, that's why you need the Armourer skill (and this way you get to practice it too, I bet)  ;D
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C Clarke's Third Law
Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothése - I do not require that hypothesis[img]http://www.dakkadakka.com/s/i/a/4eef2cc3548cc9844a491b22ad384546.gif[/i

xSilverPhinx

I didn't go for the house yet, went straight for the castle ;D

I've already accumulated plenty of quests, and even more stuff (including silver arrows, which I wasn't planning to carry on me till you mentioned all the vampires...

Thanks for all the tips. :) I'm thinking I might just buy Skyrim when the novelty fever is past and the price goes down ;D

history_geek

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 17, 2011, 10:24:32 PM

I've already accumulated plenty of quests, and even more stuff (including silver arrows, which I wasn't planning to carry on me till you mentioned all the vampires...

Thanks for all the tips. :) I'm thinking I might just buy Skyrim when the novelty fever is past and the price goes down ;D

Well, you need 10,000 gold to buy the house anyway ;)

And now that I really try to remember, ghosts and vampires can also be hurt by magical weapons (if they have a that soul energy or uses or what not, doesn't really matter. What matters is that they have an enchantment), but I think the only protection from vampire disease was silver..... and no problem, it was fun remembering the few hundred hours that I spent on the game, though it's been a while  8)

And from what I've heard, Skyrim is meeting a good number of the high expectations that were placed upon it. So worth every penny, whatever you pay for it  ;D

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: history_geek on November 17, 2011, 11:17:44 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 17, 2011, 10:24:32 PM

Well, you need 10,000 gold to buy the house anyway ;)

Damn, you reminded me of both just how much of a noob I am and how poor I am (in the game and IRL) ;D

Come to think of it, after is conversation, also how much of a geek I am? ::)

Good thing the castle was free ;D

QuoteAnd now that I really try to remember, ghosts and vampires can also be hurt by magical weapons (if they have a that soul energy or uses or what not, doesn't really matter. What matters is that they have an enchantment), but I think the only protection from vampire disease was silver..... and no problem, it was fun remembering the few hundred hours that I spent on the game, though it's been a while  8)

I've been collecting some rocks and stones, they should serve that purpose ;D Good thing for game wikis and tutorials. ;D Having to spend hours just to figure out how to do something or what to do is a thing of the past... 

QuoteAnd from what I've heard, Skyrim is meeting a good number of the high expectations that were placed upon it. So worth every penny, whatever you pay for it  ;D

I think I will, but after AC Revelations ;D

Asmodean

No, The Asmo is not all antisocial because he is gaming Skyrim from dusk to dusk - he was sick and busy all at the same time  :P
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

not your typical...

Quote from: Asmodean on November 18, 2011, 04:04:12 PM
No, The Asmo is not all antisocial because he is gaming Skyrim from dusk to dusk - he was sick and busy all at the same time  :P
Awww. Well glad to know you're better. :)
"Accepting the truth and keeping faith is a strong thing to do. Mixing the two however, is the dumbest thing you've ever attempted." - Radical Ostriches Bringing Eternal Requiem Tonight
Advocate for the abnormal.

Crow

Have you been placing baskets on a head or two?
Retired member.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Crow on November 23, 2011, 03:00:18 AM

That really made me laugh.  :D

I never really thought of that, though I have been trying out some dance moves with the skeletal guardian in the Assassin's Hideout (Oblivion).

Tank

That's funny!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Eh... Well... As for that now, you see... ...

OK, ALRIGHT, I HAVE!!! I'M A NERD. HAPPY NOW?!  >:(
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.