News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Juneteenth

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, June 14, 2020, 02:14:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on June 17, 2020, 08:51:27 AM
when i lived in california the grocery store adbertized a martin luther king day special . . .

on fried chicken.

i kid you not. at least it wasnt watermelon.

I think they offered watermelon ice cream for dessert.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Ecurb Noselrub

Since it started in Texas, I've known about it for as long as I can remember.  Blacks usually celebrated it by having gatherings in public parks. Never was a violent thing, that I can think of.  Then a few years ago it started gaining momentum nationally.  Americans appropriate reasons to celebrate, like with St. Paddy and Cinco.  Any excuse to party. We just need a special booze to go along with it, like we do with Guinness/Jamison and Corona/Tequila.  Very stereotypical, so I'm proposing Malt Liquor and Bourbon.  Tank's watermelon wine also hits the mark.  Please take this in the spirit of drunken revelry for which it is intended. Any excuse to party.

billy rubin

i cant ztand jamison. something changed in my chemistry a few yearz ago and now it tastez sweet. gin is the zame way.

so i celebrate with bushmills instead

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Dark Lightning

Yeah, I'd never heard of Junteenth, either, growing up in a little suburb in southern California. That fried chicken and watermelon thing is one old joke. We ate the same thing when I was growing up. My mother grew up on a farm in rural Minnesota and never saw a person of color until she went to Minneapolis at age 14.

Magdalena

Maybe next month, on the 4th of July I can celebrate with moonshine mixed with Kool-Aid or whiskey mixed with Tang.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Icarus

I will celebrate with Scotch combined with ice cubes.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Icarus on June 19, 2020, 02:25:19 AM
I will celebrate with Scotch combined with ice cubes.

Yuck! Ice!  :P

I try to stay away from Scotch. It really does me in. If I drink it, I still feel it the next day. I don't experience this with either cognac or corn squeezin's. Hmmm...maybe a bottle of cognac is in order...  :)

Tom62

I've still got two bottles of Rye Whiskey at home, so I'll be fine
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

billy rubin

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Magdalena on June 19, 2020, 02:09:44 AM
Maybe next month, on the 4th of July I can celebrate with moonshine mixed with Kool-Aid or whiskey mixed with Tang.

Good idea.  Generally, in Texas, the 4th is a beer-drinking day - it's hot and muggy, so a cold Bud Lite Lime goes down well,  But some chilled moonshine would also be appropriate, while wearing a wife-beater and watching baseball.  Stereotyping is the name of the game in these situations.

Ecurb Noselrub

Newsflash!!!  I have been educated. An African American co-worker informed me that there is already an official booze for Juneteenth.  It is Champagne!  Last night there were fireworks here on Juneteenth Eve, and my friend told me that everyone had their Champagne ready.  The level of Champagne is up to the individual.  So now you know.

Randy

If I could, I'd simply have a pint of Guinness in front of the TV. :)
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Recusant

I admit I didn't learn about Juneteenth until I'd left my rural childhood behind and went to find, well, whatever (not my fortune, I knew that much) in the big city as a teenager. As for drinks, I've heard that strawberry soda is traditional.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Randy

I guess one could mix a wee bit of alcohol with the strawberry soda and have the best of both worlds.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on June 19, 2020, 01:58:28 PM
Newsflash!!!  I have been educated. An African American co-worker informed me that there is already an official booze for Juneteenth.  It is Champagne!  Last night there were fireworks here on Juneteenth Eve, and my friend told me that everyone had their Champagne ready.  The level of Champagne is up to the individual.  So now you know.

Have also learned that they eat red foods, as a tradition from Africa.  So pour a bit of Grenadine into the Champagne to get Red Champagne.