News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

What Are You Reading?

Started by Cecilie, May 22, 2010, 06:47:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hismikeness

In Fifty Years We'll all be Chicks by Adam Corrolla. That one is a chapter a night in bed.
Death by Black Hole by Neil DeGrasse Tyson. I just started this one, it's by my chair in the living room.
Death to the BCS by Dan Wetzel, Josh Peter and Jeff Passan. This is strictly bathroom reading.
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

Tom62

I'm reading "Objective-C 2.0 Programmierung für Mac OS X und iPhone" and Harlan Ellison's "Earthman Go Home"
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Inevitable Droid

Oppose Abraham.

[Missing image]

In the face of mystery, do science, not theology.

Babylon Fell

William Shakespeare - The Taming of the Shrew
L. E. Modesitt - The Soprano Sorceress

Quote from: "hismikeness"I am currently reading A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson. Very reccommended thus far.

Dude, Bill Bryson is the shit. I just read three of his books: A Walk In the Woods, Neither Here Nor There, and his biography of Shakespeare (the exact title escapes me).

Inevitable Droid

Valhalla by Ari Bach is a fun sci-fi adventure novel, in the category of military sf, zeroing in on a single soldier, a female special operative by the name of Violet MacRae.  It takes place in what I like to call the midldle future, where a number of technological and political trends of today have progressed as one would logically expect, but we haven't yet colonized other planets to any meaningful extent.  I totally enjoyed this book from cover to cover.  If you like military sf, female heroines, stories of the middle future, and storytelling that mostly wants to be fun, you'll like this book.  Learn more about it here: Valhalla by Ari Bach at Lulu - http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/valhalla/12044639?productTrackingContext=search_results/search_shelf/center/1
Oppose Abraham.

[Missing image]

In the face of mystery, do science, not theology.

Saeriva

I just finished Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters and, having read it, am now convinced I'd never get through the original. Without the random bits of Lovecraftian horror and dark humor sprinkled in, I probably would have grown bored of it ages ago. Now I'm considering Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

fester30

Just started Tom Clancy's Dead or Alive.  I've read all of his main fiction novels (not the ones that he put his name on that others wrote, like ops center).  I've been waiting for this for 7 years.

The Black Jester

Descartes' Error - Antonio Damasio
The Passion of the Western Mind - Richard Tarnas - highly recommended if you have any interest in the history of Western thought.
Phantoms in the Brain - V. S. Ramachandran
The Black Jester

"Religion is institutionalised superstition, science is institutionalised curiosity." - Tank

"Confederation of the dispossessed,
Fearing neither god nor master." - Killing Joke

http://theblackjester.wordpress.com

Melmoth

Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers - Mary Roach

Naked Lunch - William Burroughs
"That life has no meaning is a reason to live - moreover, the only one." - Emil Cioran.

Velma

Denialism by Michael Specter
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Biggus Dickus

This is a picture from inside "John King Used and Rare Books" store in Detroit...I think I was there about 3 hours today. Not sure, lost track of time.

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Icarus

Those of us who are readers, and are fascinated by old book stores, are a special, but vanishing, breed of cat.

I dearly love my public library because of its books.  But the library has to attract clients in so many other ways.  My library has all sorts of programs that have little or nothing to do with reading.  There are a variety of computer instruction classes, sections that embrace classical music, accompanied by real live musicians, sewing classes for youths, art instruction classes, caligraphy instruction sessions, Geneology study classes, and a lot more activities that may be cleverly designed to attract patrons in such a way that they might be exposed to ....BOOKS.  Marion the Librarian is one of my favorite characters both in my library and also in the play; Music Man

My current Library book is: The Math Of Life And Death. By Brit author Kit Yates.  Seven mathematical principles that shape our lives.    Not at all a math instruction manual but an explanation about how math does in fact steer us and largely determine our destiny.   

billy rubin

i refuse to go into used bookstores. if i do i spend all the money i have on me.

i have a bad history with old books anyway. i am not a good custodian.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Recusant

Apologies to the book club, but I finally got America's Constitution: A Biography, having hankered after it for years, and am currently deriving considerable enjoyment from it.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken