News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Laid Back Lounge / Re: Reasons to be cheerful!
Last post by Anne D. - June 26, 2022, 05:13:00 AM
Congrats, Ecurb!

Quote from: billy rubin on June 25, 2022, 11:25:41 PMlaw is a curious matter.

. . .

it didnt matter in the end because a mistrial was declared because they caught the defendant banging the assistant DA.

lol

Law is indeed a curious matter. And the practice of law even curiouser. Holy shit.
Science / Re: All things brain...
Last post by Icarus - June 26, 2022, 05:10:48 AM
The tension meter used a spring or weight loaded narrow bar to push down on the fabric. The plunger with the bar was engaged with a dial indicator.  The depth of depression in the fabric was translated on the indicator dial to Newtons per centimeter of tension.   

N/cm could be converted to pounds perinch but no one in the industry used that sort of measurement designation.  It was/is strictly metric stuff.

One day I may post a picture of one of my meters.

Last post by Icarus - June 26, 2022, 02:23:13 AM
I have served on two juries. Foreman on one of them.  One other of the jury selection events had me summarily dismissed.  Why?  In Florida, we tend to dress casually and comfortably. Me. the naive one. believed that the court deserved respect which included proper dress.  I showed up with a shirt and tie along with a conservative jacket.....oh.... and shoes. I swear that I was dismissed because I was too well dressed to suit the defense lawyers.

I am given to believe that jury selection is a keen science that is practiced by the best of lawyers. Ecurb can probably enlighten us about this important element of trial construction. 
Laid Back Lounge / Re: What's on your mind today?
Last post by Icarus - June 26, 2022, 02:07:32 AM
It should be clear that I am on the side of the angry women. I respect them for many reasons. One of the reasons is admiration for their creativity.  Todays TV news showed a horde of protesters.  Many of them were carrying signs. Several of the signs claimed that: if men got pregnant, then abortions would be available at 7-11 stores.

The one that cracked me up with laughter (and agreement)  was the woman who had a biblical verse on her sign. It said: Let he who hath no uterus shut the Fucketh up. 

You go girls!!!
Music / Re: What are you listening to?
Last post by Magdalena - June 26, 2022, 12:51:56 AM
Music / Re: What are you listening to?
Last post by Magdalena - June 26, 2022, 12:46:08 AM

Just enjoying my thang.

Last post by billy rubin - June 25, 2022, 11:25:41 PM
law is a curious matter.

i used to be called for jury duty all the time when i lived in california. seventeen years. now that i live in ohio i am never called. twnety years. i don't know why.

the last time i was called for jury duty was a triple homicide, with laying in wait as an addition, which meant the death penalty. i spent 45 minutes explaining to the attrorneys and th ejudge why i did not object to killing people if i was 100 percent certain of their guilt, but would not support a guilty verdict if capital punishment could be applied with only a reasonable doubt being satisfied.

at the end both the defense and prosecution thanked me, and th ejudge said that i was an excellent candidate for a jury, just not this one . . .

go figure.

it didnt matter in the end because a mistrial was declared because they caught the defendant banging the assistant DA.

lol
Last post by Ecurb Noselrub - June 25, 2022, 10:26:20 PM
Quote from: Asmodean on June 25, 2022, 06:47:48 PM
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on June 25, 2022, 12:36:07 AMJust finished a two week jury trial in Bryan, Texas (near where Texas A&M is located). We were defending a doctor and hospital in our system against a medical malpractice claim. The jury came back in our favor, and found no negligence or other violation of law against our clients. It was the right verdict in this case. I am very happy, and just bought drinks all around for those present in the hotel bar!!

Congrats! Was it a difficult case?

Very. Our documentation was not perfect, even though we did not do anything wrong. Plus, some of our witnesses were not very likeable. However, the plaintiff was simply not believable. She tried to say we did a procedure that she had not consented to, and made it impossible for her to work. Our experts rebutted that, and the jury rejected her claims.
Last post by Ecurb Noselrub - June 25, 2022, 10:24:02 PM

Quote from: billy rubin on June 25, 2022, 02:13:54 AMyou said it was the right verdict. how often do you see the wrong verdict in stuff like this?

I guess "right and wrong" are in the eye of the beholder on matters like medical malpractice. If we think we did wrong, we usually try to settle. In this case, while we did not think we had done wrong, we did offer some money, as there is always some risk with a jury. But they wanted millions. The jury gave nothing. I think the evidence was in our favor.
Laid Back Lounge / Re: What's on your mind today?
Last post by Magdalena - June 25, 2022, 09:58:46 PM
Baby Oil and Booty Shorts.
 :smilenod: