News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

South Africa

Started by hermes2015, October 01, 2019, 06:37:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermes2015

EDIT: Split from the photography thread. Tank
----------------------------------------------------------

Quote from: jumbojak on October 01, 2019, 06:13:55 PM
And it's funny that you find so much convenience in Africa!

Well, SA is very different to the rest of the continent. Of course, like everywhere else, if one has the means life can be good. The less fortunate have a different story to tell. For me and my family, living here is just about the same as living in any American or European city. Perhaps I should do a series of photos showing what it's like.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Icarus

Please do that Hermes. 

We unsophisticated Americans continue to think of Africa as a jungle inhabited by savages.  We know that is not true but the perception persists.  Not to be aiming at Africa but at all those other places for which we have not a clew. 

I recently explored some geography of practically unheard of places.  Azerbaigan for example. Some of their cities can rival the most modern anywhere.  The modern architecture is astounding. 

Americans are so foolishly insular that we tend to assume that any place other than Europe or the UK is some sort of primitive society. We are not all hat dumb but too many of us are. 

hermes2015

Quote from: Icarus on October 02, 2019, 01:31:52 AM
Please do that Hermes. 

We unsophisticated Americans continue to think of Africa as a jungle inhabited by savages.  We know that is not true but the perception persists.  Not to be aiming at Africa but at all those other places for which we have not a clew. 

I recently explored some geography of practically unheard of places.  Azerbaigan for example. Some of their cities can rival the most modern anywhere.  The modern architecture is astounding. 

Americans are so foolishly insular that we tend to assume that any place other than Europe or the UK is some sort of primitive society. We are not all hat dumb but too many of us are.

I am not denying that for many here life is no picnic and living conditions can be quite awful, but on the other hand it is a mix of first and third world. It is unfortunate that the bad side is what gets the press more often. Tourists and other visitors tend to see just the bright and shiny side as well, so they also get a distorted picture. I am also guilty of forgetting that many others do not share my lifestyle, because I just experience the shiny side in my daily life. Tank has been here and he will probably agree with much of what I've said.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on October 02, 2019, 04:19:58 AM
Quote from: Icarus on October 02, 2019, 01:31:52 AM
Please do that Hermes. 

I am not denying that for many here life is no picnic and living conditions can be quite awful, but on the other hand it is a mix of first and third world. It is unfortunate that the bad side is what gets the press more often. Tourists and other visitors tend to see just the bright and shiny side as well, so they also get a distorted picture. I am also guilty of forgetting that many others do not share my lifestyle, because I just experience the shiny side in my daily life. Tank has been here and he will probably agree with much of what I've said.

I visited Cape Town in SA twice. I was there when 9/11 happened. I was on business so did not get a huge chance to do the tourist thing.

By the time I was there racial apartheid had been made illegal. What I observed then, it may be changing now, was a financial 'shadow' of the apartheid system. The black Africans had next to no money, the Asians had more and the whites continued to sit on the top of the pile by dint of their previous position of power. There was a huge discrepancy between the shack cities around Cape Town and the closed area of the Cape Bay complex I stayed in and the offices of Dimension Data where I was working. Cape Town could have been any European city.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

I have split this discussion off as it is such an important topic IMO.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

hermes2015

Thank you Tank. As you may have noticed, I am not a very political person; in fact I'm a bit of an ostrich with my head in the sand most of the time! Anyway, if anyone has questions or comments, I can respond from my admittedly very narrow and probably white-biased perspective.

I can't promise to do it soon, but will post some photos from time to time that illustrate my way of life. In the meantime here is a link to some photos of my city. I live in what is known as the Northern suburbs, of which Sandton is one of the best known. It's been estimated that 90% of Africa's money is concentrated in the few square kilometres of Sandton.

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ACYBGNSaAkYlnNLncdp15lst1RK99lBqSA:1570001931836&q=sandton+photos&tbm=isch&source=univ&client=firefox-b-d&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiUiMb7iP3kAhXIbsAKHR-oBckQ7Al6BAgJECQ&biw=1920&bih=958

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ACYBGNSDs0Yc3SY4q3Aqw-_s3IimSvw3wQ:1570001604233&q=johannesburg+photos&tbm=isch&source=univ&client=firefox-b-d&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjH36rfh_3kAhWTgVwKHaUKCUEQ7Al6BAgCEBs&biw=1920&bih=958
― Charles Eames

Icarus

The pictures on those two Google search links will put to rest any doubt about the prosperity and modernity of SA.

hermes2015

Quote from: Icarus on October 02, 2019, 09:28:38 PM
The pictures on those two Google search links will put to rest any doubt about the prosperity and modernity of SA.

And perhaps also the materialism. Unfortunately, in many circles one is judged by one's address and car. It is very difficult not to fall into that trap.
― Charles Eames

Ecurb Noselrub

Harry and Meghan seem to be getting along well there.

hermes2015

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on October 03, 2019, 04:17:50 PM
Harry and Meghan seem to be getting along well there.

I think she spent more time here than he did. He was in neighbouring countries most of the time.
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

South Africa is a beautiful place, I spent some time in Pretoria and neighboring regions many years ago and enjoyed my stay very much. I just didn't like spending all day in the game reserves such as Krüger Park -- I was a kid and sitting in the car was incredibly boring. :P But every hour or so we got to see some animals. :grin:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey