News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

"We atheists . . ."

Started by Recusant, March 05, 2019, 06:44:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

:fingertap: I suppose it's inevitable, people being people, that somebody and their friends will decide to speak for atheists, regardless of the fact that they didn't get the assent of atheists in general. Thus, "We atheists" (apparently the Atheist Republic) have decided that March 23rd will be "Atheist Day."

I can't say that I find much to disagree with in their Declaration, and perhaps this will actually produce positive results. It would be more realistic if they identified themselves as "We of the Atheist Republic" though.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

Hang on! I thought April 1st was Atheist day?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Sandra Craft

Maybe the Atheist Republic didn't like being tied to April Fool's Day?  But what's the significance of March 23rd -- is it Hitchen's birthday?

I don't think we'll ever get away from some atheists making sweeping pronouncement concerning all atheists, look how often it happens just on this little forum.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Tank

Quote from: Sandra Craft on March 06, 2019, 01:44:02 AM
Maybe the Atheist Republic didn't like being tied to April Fool's Day? 

I would think so. I know it grinds with a few people I know.

But what's the significance of March 23rd -- is it Hitchen's birthday?

He was born on 13th April.

Some people born on 23rd March.

I don't think we'll ever get away from some atheists making sweeping pronouncement concerning all atheists, look how often it happens just on this little forum.

Well the chap who runs Atheist Republic is an ex-Muslim. And while he might have left the superstition behind but he has in no way left the arrogance behind. He once posted on Facebook that the world would have been better off if life had never existed. Not just humans but life itself. In other words he wanted to be god and destroy everything. I tore him a new one for that bit of arrogant stupidity.

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

SidewalkCynic

Quote from: Sandra Craft on March 06, 2019, 01:44:02 AMMaybe the Atheist Republic didn't like being tied to April Fool's Day?  But what's the significance of March 23rd -- is it Hitchen's birthday?

I would bet that it is based on the Spring Equinox. They should identify it as so, if it the reasoning.

I believe that the Spring Equinox should be a part of the atheists political agenda to adjust the calendar to a more scientific principle. I haven't figured out how to handle the dilemma that leads to leap year; but it cannot be much different then what they do when the authorities inform us that they adjusted the atomic clock, or whatever, a couple of seconds every new year.

I vaguely recall a campaign for the April 1st date in 2004 - in 2003 it snowed in New York City on April 1st.
If there were a god, then it would have revealed itself to me. There has never been anything more important in the history of Mankind than what I am delivering - scientific collation theory for the organization of technology.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: SidewalkCynic on March 06, 2019, 06:55:31 PM

I believe that the Spring Equinox should be a part of the atheists political agenda to adjust the calendar to a more scientific principle. I haven't figured out how to handle the dilemma that leads to leap year; but it cannot be much different then what they do when the authorities inform us that they adjusted the atomic clock, or whatever, a couple of seconds every new year.

I've never understood why the months can't just all be 28 days long, then we'd only have one extra day to deal with.
Sandy

Tank

Quote from: Sandra Craft on March 08, 2019, 06:48:53 AM
Quote from: SidewalkCynic on March 06, 2019, 06:55:31 PM

I've never understood why the months can't just all be 28 days long, then we'd only have one extra day to deal with.

We'd have 13 months and 13 is an unlucky number!

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Tank on March 08, 2019, 09:05:16 AM
Quote from: Sandra Craft on March 08, 2019, 06:48:53 AM

We'd have 13 months and 13 is an unlucky number!

Oh, pooh!
Sandy

Icarus

Tank showed us some of the people whose birthday is March 23......AHA!   I notice that Mr Trumps quickie, Mcdougal, has the same birthday . 

Caliasseia

Quote from: Tank on March 06, 2019, 08:02:36 AM
Maybe the Atheist Republic didn't like being tied to April Fool's Day? 

I would think so. I know it grinds with a few people I know.

But what's the significance of March 23rd -- is it Hitchen's birthday?

He was born on 13th April.

Some people born on 23rd March.

Well the chap who runs Atheist Republic is an ex-Muslim. And while he might have left the superstition behind but he has in no way left the arrogance behind. He once posted on Facebook that the world would have been better off if life had never existed. Not just humans but life itself. In other words he wanted to be god and destroy everything. I tore him a new one for that bit of arrogant stupidity.

He's currently enjoying seeing his website completely wrecked by a DDoS attack, by the way ... someone big very definitely doesn't like him or what he's doing. Current options are his native Iran or Saudi Arabia, with Brunei now in the running as an outside chance.
Bad ideas exist to be destroyed ...