News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

The Art and things we've made thread...

Started by Claireliontamer, January 28, 2016, 06:40:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermes2015

Quote from: billy rubin on June 16, 2023, 02:35:15 AMi dont understand art and creativity. its two parts. motivation and choice of expressio n.

im including materials in with expression.

why do people create? what attacts them to some particular medium?

why a haiku and not concrete and vise versa

Questions that have been asked for hundreds of years. I suspect many a dissertation has been written on these topics. In the meantime some of us just make things that satisfy us, and perhaps a few viewers.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

MarcusA

Quote from: hermes2015 on June 16, 2023, 04:05:52 AM
Quote from: MarcusA on June 15, 2023, 10:54:33 PMDoes Brutalism function as art?

Yes, it's been around for a long time. The movement or style is usually called by the French name Art Brut. Here is an in-depth discussion.

https://www.theartstory.org/movement/art-brut-and-outsider-art/

Understood. I'll leave you in peace.
This user has been banned for spamming the forum.

MarcusA

MarcusA

MarcusA

No one

MarcusA

Quote from: No one on June 18, 2023, 10:49:53 PMVery beholder of you.

Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.
- Kinky Friedman

No one

Unless there are vision alements involved, I exclaim stoutly!

Dark Lightning

Nice brutal sphere, Hermes!

I made a couple of boxes recently, just finished (literally) one this morning. They cover nosewipe boxes. Just some scraps and free wood.

Light single-colored one is red oak. The multicolored one is teak, sycamore, and African ebony. Both are finished with one coat of teak oil.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Anne D.

MarcusA

Dark Lightning

Thanks, Tank and Anne D! I sold my old portable table saw and got a seriously heavy duty table saw. It will probably outlive me. It is more precisely adjustable and is twice the horsepower. The old saw was one turn from blade-below-the-table to all the way up, and truly a pain to adjust for depth of cut. Plus, I now have more surface for building up projects after I cut out the components. Should have bought this saw the first time.

hermes2015

Thank you DL. I admire the skill that went into making your boxes. Are there pegs in the joints, or just glue?
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dark Lightning

Quote from: hermes2015 on June 20, 2023, 03:45:30 AMThank you DL. I admire the skill that went into making your boxes. Are there pegs in the joints, or just glue?

Just glue. It's amazing how strong glue joints are. And thank you! I've tried box joints and dovetail joints in the past, but they are just too tedious. The red oak one has mitered corners for the body, but the one with the teak is simple butt joints everywhere. I did consider "slips" on the oak box, which are pieces of wood glued into the mitered corners for strength. I have a caddy/valet that I made decades ago out of 1/4" red oak that has yet to break. Of course, it just sits there and has things like keys and spectacles put into it; it's not like it has to be structural.