News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Good Films.

Started by Tank, October 17, 2015, 10:39:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icarus

I have no criticism of the film for its dramatization of that war.  The suspension of disbelief remark was meant to suggest that there were numerous improbable situations in which the main character would sure as hell have failed to survive.   

I did not fail to appreciate the tender moments in the film. There were several of them.  Without overtly mentioning the Brit stiff upper lip syndrome it did illustrate that trait.

Randy

I liked Lucifer on Netflix. It has one more season to finish it or maybe two. There's talk about a sixth season but no one has signed off on it.

Season Five was scheduled to be shown this month but the COVID-19 shutdown filming. Now they are saying maybe late this year or early next year.

Anyway, if there was a devil I'd worship this one. :)
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

billy rubin

the most recent version of james fenimore coopers last of the mohicans

he was a quaker, and his writing style was insufferably stuffy, and mark twain complained vigorously about his inaccurate boat-sense.

but this short piece is culturally accurate. the woodland indians of the new york area- seneca, mohawk, oneida, and so on--were reasonably multi-cultural, spoke french or english pretty freely, and customarily stood still for execution in the event they were bested in combat. the scottish reel is more or less period.

what bothers me is that the story takes place in what is now new york state, all igneous and metamorphic country rock--schists and quartzites-- and this entire sequence was filmed in the massive limestones of the carolina appalachians. not that the wrong rocks hurts the story line any, its just that its distracting if you cant help being a rock nerd

they say that roger tory petersen used to lose his eyes during movies with his wife and concentrate on identifying the bird songs in the sound tracks. i can sympathize

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

billy rubin

i noticed when i posted that video that the last person in this thread was randy.

RIP, randy.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

billy rubin

and then there s this

was 1966 that long ago? sometimes it seems like just yesterday that i walked the streets of singapore in the evening counting the rats in the monsoon drains and watching the nightsoil collectors empty the outhouses.

but this sequence has to be th elongest high-tension finale in hollywood history.

Tank

That's a bloody long film!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Biggus Dickus

I just watched the following little gem on Netflix, and loved it. The movie is called "Sword of Trust", by Lynn Shelton.

The movie plays on the silly conspiracy theory (They're all silly actually) that the South won the Civil War, and there is an actual sword which can prove this deep-state conspiracy theory.

It's a comedy, but also has some poignant moments that I really appreciated. (There is scene were the four adults are traveling in the back of a van, and they open up about their personal lives)

I really recommend this movie, it's basically about a Civil War sword that belonged to one of the characters grandfather, an old man who suffered from Alzheimer's, and who believed the sword, along with some supporting documents prove the civil war was actually won by the South. 
So the woman takes it to a pawn shop to try and sell. (She doesn't believe the story, but she hopes the conspiracy theory will raise it value)
The pawn shop owner doesn't buy the story either (He does though authenticate that the sword is a real civil war artifact), but once he realizes there are folks in the south who not only believe the ridiculous claim, but are also willing to pay handsomely for "proof" they set out to meet these ridiculous conspiracy folks to try and sell it.

I really loved the cast, especially the pawn shop owner played by Marc Maron.

Here's the trailer...and if you do watch, please let me know if you liked it or not.  8)

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Tank

Just looked up Sword of Trust on my Netflix account and it wasn't there :(
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Tank on October 06, 2021, 04:53:56 PM

That's weird, I just watched it on Nexflix last night...bummer.

hermes2015

Is there perhaps different Netflix content in different countries? If so, you need to implement a VPN.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: hermes2015 on October 06, 2021, 05:44:22 PM

Is there perhaps different Netflix content in different countries? If so, you need to implement a VPN.

Perhaps because it's an American/Indie film, the US isn't allowing it to be seen in the UK? Probably they are still mad at England for letting us win the war of Independence, as I think many of us harbor ill-will towards England for not winning.

Imagine how much nicer things would be here in the US if we were still part of the UK?

For one there would be no mass shootings (There was another shooting today in a school in Texas)

Anyway, I hope y'all can catch the movie as it's quite entertaining.

MarcusA

"like tears in rain" -
swept
away
This user has been banned for spamming the forum.

Asmodean

Of the newer stuff, I liked John Wick 4. The whole thing has been a fun series of films, really. Just... Fun. Nothing more.

Of the more well-aged stuff, I thought Spielberg's A.I. was far deeper than people gave it credit for. Kingdom of Heaven was a nice one too, although a lot of people have had their suspension of disbelief broken by certain historical liberties they took...

...You know, I really ought to start a [The Watchful Asmo] thread series for movie reviews. There are plenty of such, about which I do have plenty to say.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

If you liked 'A Quiet Place" the "A Quiet Place II" is good too.

billy rubin

i cant think of any good films right away. im not a film wstcher. after about half an hour i have to get up and go do something.

therr was a thriller movie called hannah a few years ago.

the script was flawed, but it had a 3 minute continuous shot done of eric banna with a steady cam that was spectacular. very well done, and clearly carefully crafted by the directpr.

then there was the continuous film 1917. about 5 continuous sequences spliced together. worth seeing just for several of the scenes in it