News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

On literary standards

Started by MarcusA, April 24, 2023, 05:43:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcusA

What is consciousness? It's a metaphysical question, but seriously, I don't know. It's the brain at work, but how does it work?

Faerie is a fantasy, what's wrong with the fantastical? Is pure escapism somehow politically incorrect? Does fantasy interfere with reality in a way that cannot be corrected by positive action? To me, fiction is a lie but not all lies are bad.

What do you think?
This user has been banned for spamming the forum.

MarcusA

It certainly seems that fantasy is here to stay.

billy rubin

nobody knows what consciousness is.  i assume its biochemical, but my ideas about consciousness are heterodox.

with AI people are asking tbat question more and more. there will be no answer. sooner or later we will conclude thatvturing was right, and tbe questioning will cease

i expected nothing but im still disappointed

MarcusA

Is fiction really what we should be thinking about? To me, it doesn't very much matter as reality doesn't go away.

Tank

We are the narrative ape. Imagination is one aspect that makes us stand out from the rest of the animal kingdom. We think about fictions all day, day in and day out. It is a defining factor of humanity.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Recusant

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

MarcusA

Quote from: Tank on May 10, 2023, 06:53:26 PMWe are the narrative ape. Imagination is one aspect that makes us stand out from the rest of the animal kingdom. We think about fictions all day, day in and day out. It is a defining factor of humanity.

Human beings are storytellers that always tell their own stories.