News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Hello from Bill

Started by billyportne, February 04, 2022, 10:20:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magdalena

Welcome to the forum, billyportne:computerwave:

Welcome back, hackenslash:computerwave:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

billyportne

Thanks for the welcomes. Look forward to learning new things and correcting or clarifying things I think I know but probably don't. And no, I didn't marry Penny. A few months after my first kiss, my father moved us out of Long Beach to Granada Hills, a small rural town at the north end of the San Fernando Valley in southern California. Like most, if not all, boyish infatuations, I quickly forgot about Penny. Years later, I heard from a friend who had stayed in Long Beach that she and her brother had spent a few years in jail for some drug related charge. Life is just full of surprises, isn't it? Wonder what the next surprise will be... :)
Happiness is like moonshine. Make your own and you'll never run out. But keep in mind that life is not a playground. It's a classroom where you get the test first and the lesson after.

Tank

We never know what's going to happen next :)
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dark Lightning

Granada Hills is no longer rural, by any stretch. You must have lived there quite awhile ago!

billyportne

Quote from: Dark Lightning on February 06, 2022, 05:54:05 PM
Granada Hills is no longer rural, by any stretch. You must have lived there quite awhile ago!

Yeah, we moved there in the summer of 49. It remained somewhat rural until the late 50's when tract homes began to spring up almost everywhere in the valley to meet the demand for homes. The pasture where I kept my horse is now an elementary school, and the hill where my father built our house is a cul-de-sac with a dozen houses. I still hike to the top of Mission Point every year on my birthday and look down on what is, thinking of what used to be. All good though. As Darwin said, "It's not the smartest nor the strongest who survive, but those who best deal with change."
Happiness is like moonshine. Make your own and you'll never run out. But keep in mind that life is not a playground. It's a classroom where you get the test first and the lesson after.

Dark Lightning

My wife lived in Winnetka from '64 on. She used to take piano lessons somewhere on Saticoy Street, which was a dirt road at the time. We lived in Canoga Park from '88-'02 in an area that had been walnut groves, approximately De Soto and Saticoy. That house was built in '52(?). I grew up in Saugus. You want to talk about change, the Santa Clarita Valley turned into a complete armpit.

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey