Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

what's the last thing you bought?

Started by billy rubin, November 01, 2019, 09:49:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dark Lightning

A nice leg of lamb for xmas dinner. Roasted on the rotisserie if the weather cooperates (it's currently raining), in the oven if it doesn't.  :let'seat:

jumbojak

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 23, 2019, 02:31:06 PM
A dead, featherless chicken.

The last featherless chicken I bought was still alive. You got off easy.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on December 23, 2019, 03:32:22 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 23, 2019, 02:31:06 PM
A dead, featherless chicken.

The last featherless chicken I bought was still alive. You got off easy.

:o

I'm afraid to ask for details...

No one

Did you have to kill it yourself jak? Did you choke it?

xSilverPhinx

Magdalena

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 24, 2019, 01:50:19 AM
Quote from: No one on December 24, 2019, 01:24:33 AM

:(
I used to kill chickens when I was about 7 or 8 years old. I saw it as a basic survival skill. And you don't choke a chicken, you break the neck. If you choke it, it leaves bruises all over --not very attractive. I learned to clean the giblets and to not ruptured the gall bladder.
Ah...nice childhood memories.
:tellmemore:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Dark Lightning

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Magdalena on December 24, 2019, 02:54:38 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 24, 2019, 01:50:19 AM
Quote from: No one on December 24, 2019, 01:24:33 AM

:(
I used to kill chickens when I was about 7 or 8 years old. I saw it as a basic survival skill. And you don't choke a chicken, you break the neck. If you choke it, it leaves bruises all over --not very attractive. I learned to clean the giblets and to not ruptured the gall bladder.
Ah...nice childhood memories.
:tellmemore:

:o

xSilverPhinx

jumbojak

Why is that? Does being a few steps removed really make that much difference?

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

billy rubin

causing death is why i don't like eating meat.

i spent my earlier life causing vast amounts of death, and i don't want to do it anymore.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on December 24, 2019, 02:36:26 PM
Why is that? Does being a few steps removed really make that much difference?

I'm not sure. I just don't want to kill some types of animals myself (no problem killing vermin, mosquitos and roaches). But I like meat. I guess that makes me a bit of a hypocrite.

I can't even euthanize lab rats without feeling really bad about it, even though they die painlessly (anesthesia overdose). I generally ask someone else to do it. 

billy rubin

that's better than what i had.

we used one of those boxes with the hole you pushed the rat in. when he stuck his head out the hole you banged the guillotine blade down on him.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: billy rubin on December 24, 2019, 03:07:00 PM
that's better than what i had.

we used one of those boxes with the hole you pushed the rat in. when he stuck his head out the hole you slammed the guillotine blade down on him.

We also have a guillotine which we use to remove the head from the body after the animal has died or become unconscious (I collect brains of all rats I use for histological analysis). The one in our lab was used to sacrifice when ethics and lab animal treatment laws were laxer, but killing a rodent not under general anesthesia by chopping its head off these days is a crime that could result in labs getting shut down, so euthanasia is taken very seriously . Unless of course such a method is fully justified. People who perform biochemical analyses generally kill their animals in the way you described.

Using a guillotine is cheaper than buying loads of barbituates in the long run, so some people think these recent laws are a financial burden. But I think the guillotine is cruel. It would severely stress out both the rat and the person killing them.