News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

what's the last thing you bought?

Started by billy rubin, November 01, 2019, 09:49:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Icarus

Last thing I bought was some rye flour.  I have been trying to make sourdough starter with little success with ordinary bread flour.  My internet advisors say to use rye for starter. 

I have been messing around with artisan bread making.  I can tell you that it is more art than science.  Being a science buff, I have not yet learned to make a spectacular loaf of bread. Some of my bread has been pretty good but I still have a way to go before I get it just right.

Dark Lightning

billy rubin

damn

these aint cheap anymore at all

had to buy a new helmet because the 2010 snell certification on my race thing expires this year. so i went looking for a 2020 unit and stuff was out of stock everywhere.

pandemic shortages.

but i finally found ^^^this, a bit garish -looking for my taste but fully functional. and it cost me some US$650.

thats a bunch of money for a hat, but i needed one, and with the out of stock labels everywhere i decided to grab it while the grabbing was good.

and its a better helmet than what i had. these things get better over the years. i still have the old helmets ive bought over the last 45 years, and the new ones are way more comfortable, lighter, and dont bounce in the wind.

ill forget about the money after a while

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Dark Lightning

One of these

As configured with the overarm dust collection, industrial base (it has a hydraulic jack to pump it up for moving) and the router attachments, it was just over $5k. I'll be selling my portable saw and the old router table.

Icarus

Good looking Saw DL.  A bit pricey but may be worth the premium. I am not too sure of the saw stop feature but it is surely better than a non-stop flesh eater like the one I have.

I implore you, never dare to test the magic blade stop feature. 

Dark Lightning

I've triggered the old one twice, on the miter gauge. All it takes is a touch, and the blade is gone. Saw Stop makes an excellent saw, and only costs about $1k more for the safety feature.

Asmodean

The last "larger" non-everyday investment, apart from an tank of diesel for The Deutschmann, was Elden Ring for muh Xbox. Beautiful game, if frustrating at times. FromSoft is one of few video game companies who still have that certain something that the World's Ubisofts and Bethesdas and Paradoxes have long-since lost - worse, forsaken.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Icarus

I have not bought it yet, but I will if I find one.  It is a bumper sticker that says; Birds Aren't Real. 

It is a spoof meant to offend conspiracy theorists.  The claim, about the birds, is that they are actually flying robots, with cameras.  They spy on us day and night.  Only Owl like robots are used at night. You often see birds sitting on overhead wires. If you have ever wondered why they are doing that, the answer is simple.  The robots are charging their batteries.

The evil Jewish cabals are responsible for all this. The Cornell University ornithology lab knows all about the flying robots but they are sworn to secrecy. 

Icarus

Here is some evidence for the bird drone conspiricy.

Dark Lightning

:rofl: How could that guy keep a straight face when telling that story!? Only killed the birds, nobody noticed that the things birds eat getting any more populous, etc. And if he actually has any evidence, his former employers are going to have a word with him about it.

billy rubin

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Icarus

DL, it's a colossal spoof aimed all the dumb ass conspiricy theorists and Q anon believers.

Those of us who are at least half intelligent are damned sick of the conspiracy theorists and Fox news dipshits who lie so persuasively to Hillary's "deplorables".

Checkout You Tube for more Birds Aren't Real fun and games. I hope that this bit of resistance goes more viral than it already has. One of the several videos shows that a bird pooped on Biden while he was delivering a speech. The vid explains that the Russians also have bird drones. Putin ordered one of his birds to shit on Biden.

There is more.  Statistics show that birds poop on automobiles more than 10 times more often than they poop on the ground or elsewhere. There are whole businesses who make spray on solutions to remove artificial bird poop from your car. That is part of the conspiracy.  Sure as hell some enterprising entrepreneurs have taken advantage of the fake bird, poop situation.

Asmodean

Quote from: Icarus on May 05, 2022, 08:32:49 PMThe evil Jewish cabals are responsible for all this. The Cornell University ornithology lab knows all about the flying robots but they are sworn to secrecy. 
Yeah... A world where a US Supreme Court, with barely any members to it, leaks drafts while Cornell U, with who knows how many people of varying degrees of activism and/or degeneracy walking in and out on a daily basis manages to uphold its vow of silence...

But then, it's them j00s what's behind it, so... Yeah. Totally believable. :smilenod:
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.