News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

what's the last thing you bought?

Started by billy rubin, November 01, 2019, 09:49:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Lightning

The piezo ignitor on our propane grille died years ago. I just turn on all 5 burner valves and throw in a lit match. #proudpossessorofalleyebrows  :P

Tank

Quote from: Icarus on March 05, 2021, 11:41:00 PM
The piezo igniter in my Barbie quit working. ...

You have no idea the images that conjured up in my mind until I worked out what you were talking about! 
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tom62

Quote from: Tank on March 06, 2021, 10:13:14 AM

You have no idea the images that conjured up in my mind until I worked out what you were talking about!

Yup, same for me...
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

hermes2015

I'm so glad I don't have a one-track mind like you guys.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on March 06, 2021, 12:17:08 PM
I'm so glad I don't have a one-track mind like you guys.

I smell bovine excrement.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Bad Penny II

I\We bought the time of an electrician and his minion to attach an electrical cable from house to new garage which replaced the old burnt one.
My wife arranged it, she wanted the garage door to go up and down at the push of button.
So she arranged me to dig a fricking trench trench 500mm deep, 10m long maybe.
I didn't enjoy it. Less than a week after eye surgery, supposed to be keeping eye dry as sweat pours into into it.
The applicable god has decreed it to be a hot wet humid sub tropical season.
Had to buy a new narrow shovel for the last 100mm of depth.
I still have to fill the thing in again.
Besides muscle aches I have deep blisters on my right palm, I can work a mouse left handed but I haven't trained it in recreational pursuit.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on March 06, 2021, 10:13:14 AM

Same! :lol:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

billy rubin

nothing like learning arcane procedures for working on machines that haven't been made in 50 years.

just bought an ancient manual for performance modifications to norton commandos and th eearlier atlas models from the 1960s and 70s. th eusual stuff- porting, crankshaft strengthening, valve train improvements, adapting non-stock parts for new purposes. i own a 1970 commando and this sort of stuffis useful in unexpected ways.

one of the useful surprises was this:

i have an ignition timing prolem on another machine, and old triumph i've owned for many years. i've modified the ignition to make it much more efficient, and have had to retard the spark so much that it no longer has correct timing off-idle. can't modify the primitive electronic ignition spark curve, so i've been stuck with it, until i read ^^^this. so now i'm off to look for resistors to steepen the timing curve so that i can advance the idle spark timing while keeping peak advance at the same setting.

an unexpected bonus.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Icarus

A valuable find Billy.  good on you.

billy rubin

yes

i dunno whether its true, so i've emailed the man who invented the ignition back in the 1970s to ask him

small world with this stuff, you know

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Icarus

Not as nimble as I once was.  I can swing my leg over the bicycle but It is not easy. Creaky bones work like that I reckon.  If I have trouble getting on the bike it is even more chancy when stopping to get off the bike.  I had three high end ( pricey ones) bikes, all of which caused me the same trouble.   Sold all three of them but I will miss zipping up and down the bike trail near my house.

What is a poor old man to do....??  Wants to keep on "wheelin".  OK so I bought a kick scooter.  Cost $119 on Amazon. Amazon gave me a coupon worth $10.  If I applied for a certain credit card I could get another $50 off.  OK I did that.  Now the scooter will set me back only $59. Real deal, I do not need or want the credit card but I have it.

Scooter is scheduled to arrive within a few days. We will see whether I bust my ass on the scooter. It is a decent one with a 20 inch front wheel and a 12 inch rear wheel.  Should be able to go over bumps without difficulty. If I have a fatal heart attack while playing with this toy I will really miss all of you nice people.

Billy is buying far more dangerous stuff. Approaching a hard corner at more than 100 MPH means that you need some really good brakes. Billy is buying go fast stuff when he would be advised by me to buy go slower on demand stuff......as in powerful and reliable brakes. Gummy tires too.

Randy

Quote from: Icarus on March 11, 2021, 10:53:29 PM
Not as nimble as I once was.  I can swing my leg over the bicycle but It is not easy. Creaky bones work like that I reckon.  If I have trouble getting on the bike it is even more chancy when stopping to get off the bike.  I had three high end ( pricey ones) bikes, all of which caused me the same trouble.   Sold all three of them but I will miss zipping up and down the bike trail near my house.

What is a poor old man to do....??  Wants to keep on "wheelin".  OK so I bought a kick scooter.  Cost $119 on Amazon. Amazon gave me a coupon worth $10.  If I applied for a certain credit card I could get another $50 off.  OK I did that.  Now the scooter will set me back only $59. Real deal, I do not need or want the credit card but I have it.

Scooter is scheduled to arrive within a few days. We will see whether I bust my ass on the scooter. It is a decent one with a 20 inch front wheel and a 12 inch rear wheel.  Should be able to go over bumps without difficulty. If I have a fatal heart attack while playing with this toy I will really miss all of you nice people.

Billy is buying far more dangerous stuff. Approaching a hard corner at more than 100 MPH means that you need some really good brakes. Billy is buying go fast stuff when he would be advised by me to buy go slower on demand stuff......as in powerful and reliable brakes. Gummy tires too.
At least you are still active. If you have a heart attack at least you will have enjoyed how you got there. But please, don't have a heart attack. You'd be missed.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

billy rubin

i don't do all fast stuff. i also have one of these for my creaky ass

its a worksman industrial tricycle, mid-1960s, i think. oldest bicycle company in the united states. they don't have any records so there's really no telling when it was made.

solid rubber tires, carries about 400 pounds. came with a 38 front sprocket, but i've dropped that to a 28. before it was good only for flat concrete. can't fall over, and so you don't even need to lean it against anything

i use it when i race to carry the automotive battery and starter motor for the race bike, and to cruise around the runways

you need to post pictures of your vehicle, icarus. the amish around here use something similar to what you're getting. at $59 thats a steal

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey