News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

what's the last thing you bought?

Started by billy rubin, November 01, 2019, 09:49:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: Randy on December 28, 2020, 01:15:52 AM
Quote from: Tank on December 27, 2020, 05:03:18 PM
I bought some random stuff for my wife. When she opened one she said "Oh! This scarf matches my coat perfectly. Did you chose it so it matched?" I remained silent.  ;D
Sometimes silence and a nod is all that is needed.

Exactly :D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

A Samsung Galaxy A20s 32 GB. A definite upgrade from my last phone. :grin:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tom62

I've bought me one of these things

It is a 6 bay QNAP TS-653D-8G with 4 x Seagate Ironwolf Pro NAS 18TB, so I should have enough storage capability for next 2,000 years.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

hermes2015

Quote from: Tom62 on January 16, 2021, 06:29:11 AM

It is a 6 bay QNAP TS-653D-8G with 4 x Seagate Ironwolf Pro NAS 18TB, so I should have enough storage capability for next 2,000 years.

Mazel tov! I would be very interested in hearing updates on your experiences with this NAS.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tom62

Quote from: hermes2015 on January 16, 2021, 07:08:40 AM
Quote from: Tom62 on January 16, 2021, 06:29:11 AM

Mazel tov! I would be very interested in hearing updates on your experiences with this NAS.

I love that machine. It was easier to setup than I thought it would be. Copying hundreds of gigabyte on the NAS via the external USB 3.2 port is blazingly fast. For the moment I've got it connected to my router via an old TP-Link powerline adapter. My router is hidden in small cupboard in our entrance area behind a wardrobe. That is not a good location for a NAS, because of dust, heat and accessibility, hence the powerline connection. The connection I have is good enough for test purposes, but not fast enough for or daily practical use. I'll be replacing the 12 year old powerline adapters with something more modern, to increase the connection speed.

I'm still "playing" with it to figure out how to optimize it for our use. My wife also wants to have a say in it and since she is a manager of a data centre (and German), everything has to be perfect and organized. I'm more of a trial and error kind of guy; she is a everything by the books, everything fully planned before lady.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

hermes2015

Quote from: Tom62 on January 21, 2021, 06:57:50 AM
My wife also wants to have a say in it and since she is a manager of a data centre (and German), everything has to be perfect and organized. I'm more of a trial and error kind of guy; she is a everything by the books, everything fully planned before lady.

Your wife sounds marvelllous — I am German on my father's side (my mother's family had French and Dutch origins), so can relate to her traits that I share to a large degree.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

My maternal grandfather is half German and he's very emotionally reactive, with a real temper. It's an interesting contrast to my more cool-headed Spanish grandmother. I think they came reversed.   
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

hermes2015

Lovely new toys, Tank. Isn't retirement wonderful?
― Charles Eames

Dark Lightning

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on January 22, 2021, 01:15:23 PM
Lovely new toys, Tank. Isn't retirement wonderful?

Roll over router bits for band saw boxes :)

Tank

Quote from: Dark Lightning on January 22, 2021, 04:10:28 PM
Fesstool!? My, aren't we fauncy!  ;D

:snicker1: They were actually the cheapest 'name' brand.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Tank on January 22, 2021, 04:19:20 PM

That's the reverse of about everything Fesstool makes. They really make high quality tools, and the prices show it.

Tank

Quote from: Dark Lightning on January 22, 2021, 08:04:56 PM
Quote from: Tank on January 22, 2021, 04:19:20 PM

That's the reverse of about everything Fesstool makes. They really make high quality tools, and the prices show it.

They do make good stuff

Icarus

I am in the process of buying a Kick scooter. The Schwinn "Shuffle" is the model that I have chosen. I have three upscale bicycles that I am hesitant to use anymore.  I cannot get my damned leg high enough to get on or off the bike reliably.  So I will dispose of the bikes and buy the scooter. 

The scooter of choice has a 27 inch front wheel and a 20 inch rear wheel.  Exercise with a scooter is a bit more vigorous than it is with a bike. One of the advantages of the scooter is that I can legally ride it on sidewalks and jogging trails. Bikes are not allowed in those places.  Also, If I fall off the scooter, the distance to the ground is not as far. 

You can get a harness for your dog that makes it possible to exercise him/her without running your ass off.  The scooter can keep up with the dog easily.  In fact there are some Husky dog fanciers who have them pull the scooter.

As soon as  I sell one or more of the bikes I will have the spare funds to buy the scooter ($200)

After that transaction I will buy a new computer because this one is getting very tired.  No way I will get, or need one with the quality and complexity of the ones you other guys have recently gotten.