News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

what's the last thing you bought?

Started by billy rubin, November 01, 2019, 09:49:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean

I bought some unrelated magnets too, actually. For my Warhammer 40000 miniatures.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

billy rubin

left hand side cover for a 1963-1966 triumph bonneville, for the road race bike

in 1965 they used a smaller cover with flimsy mounts that break. they fixed it after a few years but my rear frame section takes the earlier one. this is what they look like and they're all broken

lol

the one i got was only broken in one place though, and wasn't split, so i'm ahead of father time so far

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Dark Lightning

At least that one appears to be made of steel? One on my younger brothers had a Husqvarna and cracked a side case driving through a dry stream bed containing big rocks. He took the side case in to get it welded up, but the weldor only made bird shit and burn holes out of it, because it was an alloy. Not sure if it contained magnesium, but he's lucky it didn't...and then he wanted to charge my brother for the damage work. :lol: Yeah, not happening!

billy rubin

yes steel heavens i wouldnt try to weld aluminum

sometimes BSA used fibreglas triumph was too backwards

just one mounting ear broken off so ill make an angle out of something and either braze it or just silver solder it on

good to go then

until it breaks again. they always break

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: billy rubin on October 29, 2020, 10:32:08 PM
left hand side cover for a 1963-1966 triumph bonneville, for the road race bike

in 1965 they used a smaller cover with flimsy mounts that break. they fixed it after a few years but my rear frame section takes the earlier one. this is what they look like and they're all broken

lol

the one i got was only broken in one place though, and wasn't split, so i'm ahead of father time so far

Hmm...I'm gonna pretend I know what those are for. :lol:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

billy rubin

lol

im sorry. i forget not everybody has the same fixation. here is the morphology

older motorcycles have a standard set of what is called "tinware," the sheet mtal parts that include the front and rear mudguards, the tank, any headlight nacelle, and a left and right sidecover. sometimes the oil tank is exposed and the sidecover is deleted on that side.

the machine i am building looked like this when it was new, 55 years ago

the sid3cover is the blackpainted piece under the seat at about the halfway mark. it has holes for the electrical rotary switches and sometimes has a pocket behind to store the tools. it keeps rain off the batteryand other electrical devices. its an aesthetic thing, and is only required because the class it will be raced in requires stock components. when mine is done it will look like this

the fairing isnt allowed in all classes, so the sidecover has to be there

Dark Lightning

God's dentures, that bike with the blue tank is beautiful!

One of my brother's friends had a Honda 305 Dream that has up for sale, but I couldn't afford the $200 for it, back about 1968. That thing was also beautiful!

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 04, 2020, 12:23:04 AM
Hmm...I'm gonna pretend I know what those are for. :lol:

They're obviously ideas for my next sculpture.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

Quote from: Dark Lightning on November 04, 2020, 02:13:37 AM

One of my brother's friends had a Honda 305 Dream that has up for sale, but I couldn't afford the $200 for it, back about 1968. That thing was also beautiful!

i loved the dreams. a very nice lady i knew owned one. inseperable memories

Dark Lightning

Quote from: billy rubin on November 04, 2020, 03:58:17 AM
Quote from: Dark Lightning on November 04, 2020, 02:13:37 AM

i loved the dreams. a very nice lady i knew owned one. inseperable memories

Ladies are shapely, and in a different category. But that bike was so nice, too. Id'v'e enjoyed having my girlfriend's breasts pressed into... Ahem. NVM.  :-[

Tank

There is a chap a couple of houses along from me who rides one in this condition but black. He's single and gay so has the time and money to spend on it :)

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

why are some mechanical designs visually attractive and others fail to be?

i've never understood this.

hermes might have some insight.

hermes2015

Quote from: billy rubin on November 12, 2020, 06:38:14 PM
why are some mechanical designs visually attractive and others fail to be?

i've never understood this.

hermes might have some insight.

I have many ideas on this, but as for insights, probably not many. One's aesthetic response to an object is very subjective, similar to one's response to a piece of music. Our responses are very much influenced, whether consciously or not, by the theories of the great designers and composers of the past. Of course, one can ask how we know who the great ones were, but for the typical lay person, it is very much personal taste. For what it's worth, my personal spiritual leaders are people like Mies van der Rohe, Le Corbusier, Charles Eames, Dieter Rams, Max Bill, Eileen Grey, and others. I suppose a common characteristic is an aesthetic of minimal surface adornment, fitness for purpose or functionality, and truthfulness to materials. On the surface their ideas seem to mean that if you concentrate on functionality, beauty will follow automatically, but I don't believe that is necessarily true.

Sorry for the ramble, but it is an endless discussion I've been involved in since my teens.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

3 band saw blades 1/8" 14tpi, 1/4" 10tpi and 3/8" 4tpi
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

hermes2015

A 160 mm Knipex diagonal cutter, able to cut 2 mm piano wire, for the welded mesh I want to use in some sculpture experiments.

Wonderful German quality.
― Charles Eames