News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

what's the last thing you bought?

Started by billy rubin, November 01, 2019, 09:49:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icarus

Silver I also like drums when the sounds are rhythmic and structured. I admire Japanese Taiko drumming too.  Gene Krupa and Buddy Rich were accomplished  practitioners of the art when playing with big bands.

What annoys the hell out of me is the  senseless random beat boom box noise that occurs on Wednesday nights and Sunday mornings and evenings.  A big, well attended,  church lies across the street from my house. It is a new age sort of  church with fundamentalist leanings. For some undisclosed reason there is a 20 to 30 minute session of god awful noise from  what must be a drummer high on meth or something.  The Sound pressure level must rival the noise from a Boeing 747.   The window rattling noise precedes the church sessions invariably.  If that is an integral  part of their ritual, then I am not sympathetic.

There are certain noises that I am hooked on....Like the exhaust note from a high revving engine such as Billy Rubins Triumph bike. There are some noisy and somewhat strident R. Korsakov music that I find thrilling........  But not every fucking Wednesday and Sunday.

Randy

"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Icarus on September 16, 2020, 12:39:21 AM
Silver I also like drums when the sounds are rhythmic and structured. I admire Japanese Taiko drumming too.  Gene Krupa and Buddy Rich were accomplished  practitioners of the art when playing with big bands.

What annoys the hell out of me is the  senseless random beat boom box noise that occurs on Wednesday nights and Sunday mornings and evenings.  A big, well attended,  church lies across the street from my house. It is a new age sort of  church with fundamentalist leanings. For some undisclosed reason there is a 20 to 30 minute session of god awful noise from  what must be a drummer high on meth or something.  The Sound pressure level must rival the noise from a Boeing 747.   The window rattling noise precedes the church sessions invariably.  If that is an integral  part of their ritual, then I am not sympathetic.

There are certain noises that I am hooked on....Like the exhaust note from a high revving engine such as Billy Rubins Triumph bike. There are some noisy and somewhat strident R. Korsakov music that I find thrilling........  But not every fucking Wednesday and Sunday.

Ugh, church noises just don't do it for me, no matter what they sound like. Now bass, bone-rattling bass is another story. Nothing like a car next to you with powerful sub woofers pumping out high-quality sound to get your heart pounding really fast...  8)

If loud it can't be low-quality sound though. That's just wrong on so many levels. ::)

billy rubin

Quote from: Icarus on September 16, 2020, 12:39:21 AM

lol

may i suggest simultaneous renditions of blitz-era air raid sirenz? az loud as the drums?

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Icarus

Brilliant idea Billy.  The only thing is that I would swiftly be accosted by the noise police. It is OK for the church to make noise but not OK for an individual like me to create a cacophony. Our city does have a noise abatement ordinance but so far it does not seem to apply to church functions.

My Sound pressure level meter arrived today. It is a fun toy that will not change anything unless I want to get really political and create a lot of controversy at city commission meetings.  Fat chance!  The mayor of my town is a decent guy but unfortunately he is a member of that damned church.

I will begin to consider the air raid siren notion.... :cauldron:

billy rubin

ah

how about this

record the drummer on sunday A. play back the drummer's performance on sunday B, just make sure its out of rhythm.

its not noise, its the drummer himself. if its loud enough it will interrupt his listeners concentration.

failing that just start throwing dead cats over the fence. roadkills are eazy to come by.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tom62

Last thing that I bought is a 2TB WD Blue 3D NAND SATA SSD m.2 2280 of Western Digital to replace my 256GB SSD drive in my laptop.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Davin

My laptop died, so I had to buy a new one. I didn't have as much saved as I planned so it wasn't much of an upgrade.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Tom62 on September 19, 2020, 12:05:06 PM
Last thing that I bought is a 2TB WD Blue 3D NAND SATA SSD m.2 2280 of Western Digital to replace my 256GB SSD drive in my laptop.

That's quite the upgrade, in terms of memory and speed! Fun fact- one of my sons bought a WD external storage drive many years ago. The plastic enclosure was full of vent holes, of course. But I noticed that some holes were round and some were slots. I realized that they had "encrypted" some words in Morse Code! One word was "quality", but by now I have forgotten the rest. I wonder how many people noticed that. It's kind of an odd thing to do.

Tom62

Quote from: Dark Lightning on September 22, 2020, 01:26:55 AM
Quote from: Tom62 on September 19, 2020, 12:05:06 PM

That's quite the upgrade, in terms of memory and speed! Fun fact- one of my sons bought a WD external storage drive many years ago. The plastic enclosure was full of vent holes, of course. But I noticed that some holes were round and some were slots. I realized that they had "encrypted" some words in Morse Code! One word was "quality", but by now I have forgotten the rest. I wonder how many people noticed that. It's kind of an odd thing to do.

These SSD drives get cheaper and better all the time. I'm even thinking about replacing the harddrive in my 10 years old IMac with one. The bootup time of that Mac is horrendous.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

billy rubin

i have a solid state drive on my laptop. boots in about 10 seconds, but space is limited.

xSilverPhinx

Along with my mother:

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

billy rubin

Bluenose

I bought some dehydrated lime slices to use in my G&T.  Yum!
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett