News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Re: I Need Help From All You Native Speakers Once Again

Started by OldGit, December 14, 2014, 10:30:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Bluenose on September 02, 2020, 01:54:31 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 01, 2020, 01:24:23 PM
Thanks guys! :grin:

Quote from: Bluenose on September 01, 2020, 12:58:53 PM
... A positive patient may be symptomatic or asymptomatic...

Adjective order in English really jumbles my head (too much interference with Portuguese) but that makes sense. :thumbsup:

The thing is native English speakers use an unwritten rule for the order of adjectives, using them out of order sounds odd.  Most people do this, but could not explain how they arrived at the order.

This link may help (or make it even more confusing.)

Thanks! The link helps! :grin:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Recusant on September 02, 2020, 06:53:28 AM
Most recently I treated myself to the British edition of Dreyer's English, which I thought was a genuine delight.  :excuse:

I may be weird but I think that book looks fun to read :sidesmile:

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on September 02, 2020, 08:18:45 AM
I'm with Recusant in that I used to read dictionaries for fun when I was a kid.

When I was a kid I had this electronic dictionary that looked a bit like cross between a prehistoric gameboy and tablet. I would spend all day typing in words and marveling at the definitions appearing on the screen.

Maybe I am weird, I don't know. :grin: :P 

Icarus

^ Maybe you are not so weird. Could it be that you are one of the blessed few who finds the quest for knowledge stimulating and useful?

Recusant

Quote from: Recusant on September 02, 2020, 06:53:28 AMMost recently I treated myself to the British edition of Dreyer's English, which I thought was a genuine delight.  :excuse:

I need to correct the above statement. Though I picked out Dreyer's English, it was actually a gift from Lark:love: :hug2:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Icarus on September 03, 2020, 05:04:09 AM
^ Maybe you are not so weird. Could it be that you are one of the blessed few who finds the quest for knowledge stimulating and useful?

I prefer to think of myself that way. :smug:

;) :P

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Recusant on September 03, 2020, 08:15:55 AM
Quote from: Recusant on September 02, 2020, 06:53:28 AMMost recently I treated myself to the British edition of Dreyer's English, which I thought was a genuine delight.  :excuse:

I need to correct the above statement. Though I picked out Dreyer's English, it was actually a gift from Lark:love: :hug2:

Sweet! :grin:

xSilverPhinx

I've gotten myself into a bit of a hurdle. My uncle was laid off recently and is job hunting for a new position in an aviation company in Brazil or abroad (he's a mechanical engineer specializing in aeronautics) and has asked me to translate his CV for him. I usually steer clear of CVs because I am not that familiar with business English, but since he's my uncle and has found himself in a pickle I decided to help. ::)

The first question I have is, what word(s) do you use to describe experience with computers? Is it ok to say "computer experience" to refer to knowledge on how to use Microsoft tools, for instance? Or "computing experience", "informatics" (though the latter seems to only refer to British English use, according to a quick search...)   

Dark Lightning

My preference is for "computer literate", unless he actually works on the hardware of a computer.

Dark Lightning

Old School ('60s style) Wikipedia-a set of encyclopedias! :lol: Read those for hours in the summertime, as a kid. I have extremely poor vision; throwing balls around and that sort of thing was hazardous, because I could hear a ball coming before I saw it. And that's WAY to late to make a play.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dark Lightning on September 03, 2020, 04:02:14 PM
My preference is for "computer literate", unless he actually works on the hardware of a computer.

Thanks, DL!  :thumbsup:

So can I say something like, "Computers - literate in the use of Microsoft tools"? He formatted his CV in the following divisions:

Training -  blah blah blah
Complementary education -  blah bah blah
Languages - blah bah blah

X - use of Microsoft tools, Word, Excel, blah bah blah

Where 'X' is "Computing", which I don't know, doesn't feel quite right in English. I don't know. He doesn't work on hardware, it's just referring to proficiency in software use. 

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dark Lightning on September 03, 2020, 04:07:39 PM

Old School ('60s style) Wikipedia-a set of encyclopedias! :lol: Read those for hours in the summertime, as a kid. I have extremely poor vision; throwing balls around and that sort of thing was hazardous, because I could hear a ball coming before I saw it. And that's WAY to late to make a play.

Hey! I used to read my father's encyclopedias! Britannica I think they were called. He had a whole set of them. :grin:

Then when I was around 11 and PCs became affordable, my parents got me a bunch of floppy disks with encyclopedia software - audio and video clips included - I don't remember the name, unfortunately. I would spend literally hours a day interacting with that thing. :grin:   

I had a good childhood.  ;D

Recusant

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 03, 2020, 04:13:07 PM

So can I say something like, "Computers - literate in the use of Microsoft tools"? He formatted his CV in the following divisions:

Where 'X' is "Computing", which I don't know, doesn't feel quite right in English. I don't know. He doesn't work on hardware, it's just referring to proficiency in software use. 

If he's insisting on having his knowledge and ability with varieties of software as a stand-alone rather than being listed under "Skills," I'd call the category "Computer skills." If he has listed other skills elsewhere, I'd suggest including his computer abilities in that category.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Recusant on September 03, 2020, 06:56:03 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 03, 2020, 04:13:07 PM

If he's insisting on having his knowledge and ability with varieties of software as a stand-alone rather than being listed under "Skills," I'd call the category "Computer skills." If he has listed other skills elsewhere, I'd suggest including his computer abilities in that category.

Yes, stand-alone computer skills.  :thumbsup: Grazie guys!

Icarus

Rec is right to have the CV mention abilities in specific programs that are part of the engineering quiver. 

Autocad, Solidwoirks, or similar programs are part of the deal for engineering types. Prospective employers need to know that the applicant can use modern tools with a suitable degree of familiarity.