News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Disagree

Started by Icarus, December 19, 2020, 11:18:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icarus

I believe that our HAFers are already pretty good at arguing a conflicting point without being overbearing or obnoxious.  That would be one of the prime reasons that we respect each other even though we may disagree.

Here is a small tutorial that uses Bertram Russel and Daniel Dennet as advisors.  Would that we could all take a more rational posture about things about which we disagree.  I am referring not to my forum peers but to those of the obscurantism sort. 

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/how-to-criticize-with-kindness?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Icarus on December 19, 2020, 11:18:51 PM
I believe that our HAFers are already pretty good at arguing a conflicting point without being overbearing or obnoxious.  That would be one of the prime reasons that we respect each other even though we may disagree.

Here is a small tutorial that uses Bertram Russel and Daniel Dennet as advisors.  Would that we could all take a more rational posture about things about which we disagree.  I am referring not to my forum peers but to those of the obscurantism sort. 

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/how-to-criticize-with-kindness?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Things I wish I had read decades ago...I'll look into a hard copy.

I am a member of a truck forum, and when a person comes in with a problem, I usually ask them some questions for background. A lot of people just start throwing solutions out. Case in point, I just responded to a thread a guy made about his charging system not working properly. I kept out of it, because I didn't know enough. He just posted a picture of his alternator, and it's the wrong type! After '73 or so, GM alternators have the voltage regulator inside the alternator. Prior to that, they were outside. He has an external regulator wired up to an alternator that has an internal regulator. Without chasing out the wiring diagram, it's a wonder that it works at all. 25 or so posts in, and no resolution would have ever been had without that picture.

This is a good example of finding out what the situation/belief is before just saying things to the person. I try, but sometimes when people come to an atheist forum, it's obvious that they aren't there to learn, but to proselytize or denigrate the atheists. Those people don't get much respect from me.

Randy

I agree with Tank. They usually come in with a superior attitude that they think they can say "gotcha!" It isn't about discussion, it's about one ups man ship. I generally ignore those.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg