News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

well, my number two son has been busted

Started by billy rubin, September 22, 2020, 06:09:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Lightning

If you ever consider using cocaine, here's a picture for you. I don't remember where I saw it, and can't find it, I'll just have to describe it. Picture a low walled tank with lots of coca leaves in it. There's a bunch of people stomping on the leaves, which are immersed in some sort of solvent, in this case I think it was gasoline. The people were in there for hours, so the expectation is high that they defecated and urinated in it.  :o Since they aren't putting it up their noses, why would they care? I remember back in the '70s when I was driving a delivery truck and listening to talk radio. Some guy called in and was upset that probably not all the benzene has been rinsed out of the coke he had snorted, and that he might end up with cancer from it. I'm an empathetic person, and I did feel sorry for him. But then I realized that he put illicit narcotics up his nose, which, if improperly consumed, could make him dead right there. I lost a bit of empathy, right there.

Anne D.

Billy, I hope your son comes through the system relatively unscathed. Did you say they originally charged him with a felony? That is insane. I'm glad the cops who responded had a sense of humor. Not much of that with the cops around here.
I've been lucky with my own drug experimentation; there but for the grace of the universe go I. Only did acid once, but it was a lovely fun time with people there to watch over me. I wish I would've tried coke at least once when I was younger for the experience. If I tried it now, I think I'd probably have a heart attack.  :)
Re: Drug testing for jobs: Back when we lived in Austin, TX, my husband worked for a company that regularly drug tested at its branches elsewhere in the country, but they had given that up in Austin, where everyone smokes pot. Supposedly they wouldn't have had a workforce otherwise.

billy rubin

hey anne thank you for the kind thoughts. he'll do fine. apparently his m,istakes were as much due to inexperience with hallucinogens as anything else. i have emphasized that street acid is NOT something you do by yourself, because you have no control over the composition.

the felony was burglary, i think, because he tried to push past the house residents through their front dor. so he has disorderly conduct (hollering he was god in the middle of the night) and reisting arrest (not lying down on the griound when he was told to). he's got another hearing in two weeks or so, and before then i've got to scrape up another grand to the attorneys for getting the felony dismissed.

my own past drug experience is fairly extensive, and i don't have any problems with drugs at all, if only the stuff were regulated. street drugs are the problem, not drugs in the absrtract. the american war on drugs has done nothing but make drug cartel owners into billionaires, and has made the US number one for incarcerated citizens in our for-profit prisons. i think that's wrong.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Asmodean

Quote from: Tom62 on September 25, 2020, 07:23:40 PM
I started to use some drugs when I was in my thirties. That was purely for recreational purposes and just to figure out what the fuzz was all about. My older brother grew cannabis plants in our garden, so we had some fun smoking that stuff. I stopped using it after a couple of months, because I didn't like the smell and assumed that it was pretty bad for my lungs. My brother stopped a few months later after me and sold the plants to one of his friends. I tried some other stuff a couple of times, like XTC (before it became illegal), cocaine (warning: stay away from it!) and opium. Never got addicted, but with cocaine I came pretty close.

I can sort-of relate to this.

Nicotine junkie since before I could legally obtain it, and caffeine junkie since about the age of sixteen, but I never liked the drugs that noticeably mess with my head. Cannabis made me puke myself inside-out, alcohol makes my world spin around weird axes, which I don't like... Then there is that same puking inside-out issue, morphine is good for various pains and aches, but makes clear, rational thought difficult... Yeah. some people are just not made to get high.

I don't have much to say about the broader discussion, beyond that I'm glad it didn't end too badly... As a point of general age-grown wisdom, if a police officer tells you to get your ass on the ground, it may be prudent to do just that. An open street and a potentially volatile situation may not be the best arena to figure out whether or not you didn' do nuttin'.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

billy rubin

actually asmo, the cops weren't the dangerous part. he was banging on the neighbors door in the country, literally miles from any other dwelling. there's no police closer than 30 minutes out here and most everybody has firearms. luckily, most everybody has common sense, too, so they just shut the door on him.

he had his second hearing. he didn't even go in. the attorney spoke with the DA and the felony charge was dropped pending a psychiatric evaluation.

so he did the psychiatric interview:

are you messed up?

no.

is your family messed up?

no

please pee in this cup.

okay.

so the psychiatrists ar emilking he health insurance company for another visit, and we have a trial scheduled for election day, of all things.

still waiting for a meterorite to fall and mess everything up.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Asmodean

Is the concept you are referring to what they call "stand your ground law?" As in, if someone is on your property without more or less a signed and notorised paper stating that they are allowed to be there, then you may shoot them full of lead, then call it in and go about your day?

I'm unfamiliar with such legislation. How far is my deliberately-outtakish example from what is actually in it?

...Meteorite, you say..? The Asmo may know somebody who may or may not be needing a test site in relation to some plan involving mountain duchies and large-scale... Landscaping;D
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

billy rubin

well, in america you are legally permitted to shoot and kill someone in self-defense. there are legal requirements that have to be satisfied first-- you must not have initiated the attack, you must be in reasonable fear for your life or safety, you must respond only with appropriate force, and your danger must be immanent. all these have qualifications.

some places also state that you have "a duty to retreat." this means that if all the circumstances ^^^above apply, you must still try to leave the encounter if it is possible. this is common sense, but if you are being attacked it isn't always possible to run away. there are two exceptions to th eduty to retreat that most places recognize. on eis in your own home, or sometimes your car, called castle doctrine. if you are attacked in your own home and all of the ^^^above apply, you generally don't have to retreat before defending yourself. some places reject castle doctrine and do require you to keep backing up and going from room to room or climbing out the window before you can shoot someone. most places say that in your own home you can choose whether to retreat or not, and if not, you can choose where to stop retreating.

"stand your ground" is a related legal concept that says that you can defend yourself against attack-- without a duty to retreat-- in any place where you have a legal right to be. so if you are in a parking lot putting your groceries in your car, and yuo are attacked, you can legally defend yourself right there without first having to try to run away.

none of this gives anybody the right to shoot someone unless their circumstances satisfy th elegal requirements for self-defense, but people try to use stand your ground laws all the time to get away with murdering someone. in general, if somebody is trespassing and you shoot them, most courts will crucify you for second degree murder or manslaughter. so unless my son had put someone in fear for their life, demonstrated the ability and inclination to harm them, and was in the process of making good on that threat, they would not have been justified in shooting him. but of course, if they had, he wouldn't have been around to dispute the circumstances.

all of this is the way it is supposed to work most everywhere in america except in texas. in texas you can shoot anybody for anything.

Asmodean

In a perfect world, where there is still a need for an occasional firefight, I actually kind-of like that.

Well, maybe not the Texas part - that one I like in the way I like post-apocalyptic fiction; fun to read and watch - probably less so to live with.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

billy rubin