News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

So sorry to hear your furry friend has gone to the rainbow bridge. I have three waiting there. ((((philo))))
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

OldGit

I'm sorry to hear that, philo.  I've been through that a few times myself.  One never knows what's for the best; one just takes a deep breath and makes a decision.  Will you get another kittie in a while?

Insoluble

I'm happy, hope you're happy too

Insoluble

Quote from: Recusant on October 27, 2015, 12:48:39 AM
Quote from: Insoluble on October 22, 2015, 01:40:13 PM
I was doing my usual walk and:

I didn't think they were about.
Slipped away before I got a photo.

Fuck http://www.whatsnakeisthat.com.au/nsw/mid-north-coast.html
We have death adders now.
I knew there was the odd tiger.
Blackies, there's always blackies.
I hate the internet.

The Eastern Brown snake is listed as the 2nd most poisonous terrestrial snake in the world. With armament like that, they may be able to harm even Insoluble Puddings?

Doubtful

The Brown family have an an aggressive reputation, I suggested a move towards niceness, they didn't go for it.

Velma

Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: philosoraptor on October 27, 2015, 02:36:48 AM
Grumpy isn't quite the word.  Heartbroken is more like it.

We had to put our favorite cat to sleep today.  He was diagnosed with renal failure just two weeks ago, and he went downhill really fast before we even had a chance to try and treat him.  In the last two weeks alone, he lost 3 pounds on top of the 5 pounds he had already lost leading up to his diagnosis, which is a very significant weight loss for a cat.  It got worse over the last three days.  He wasn't eating or drinking, he couldn't use the litter box, he could barely walk, he smelled like death and he was meowing like he was distressed and in pain.  We could've spent thousands trying to stabilize/treat him, but the vet (who put him to sleep) told us it was a crap shoot and that it likely wouldn't help at such an advanced stage of his illness.  We might've been able to prolong his life, but it would've been selfish to do so.  I'm just furious, because the emergency vet who diagnosed him made it seem like he wasn't as sick as he was, mainly because they wanted 2k to do "intensive treatment" that apparently wouldn't have made a difference anyway.  I was prepared to do treatment with him at home, because I'm more than capable of administering the subcutaneous fluids and medications he would've needed, but I didn't know what to do because I saw two different vets and they each told me completely contradictory things in regards to treating for KD at home.  I was still researching our best options for treating him without emptying our bank account, and he just took a sudden turn for the worst.  I thought we would have more time.  I was not ready for this, and I feel like I'm not emotionally equipped to deal with this right now.

I know that the right thing and the easiest thing are rarely the same thing, but fuck, doing the right thing shouldn't hurt this bad.

Sorry that you're going through this Philosoraptor, pets are family and when they're gone it hurts a lot. :sadnod: I would certainly classify deciding to let a pet go as one of the hardest decisions there is.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Buddy

I just chipped my fucking tooth and it hurts so bad. 200% done with today.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Tank

Quote from: Budhorse4 on October 27, 2015, 06:53:55 PM
I just chipped my fucking tooth and it hurts so bad. 200% done with today.
Ouch!!!!
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Firebird

Sorry to hear Philo. But it sounds like you did the right thing, all things considered
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Insoluble

Quote from: Velma on October 27, 2015, 02:01:23 PM
Hugs and sympathy, philosoraptor.

I see what you're doing, don't you think I don't.
Hugs/air hugs, sympathy and chocolate philo.

Guardian85

Yeah, so I went to selection day for the Corrections Academy today.
Aced just about everything, but struck out on the endurance run.
So that sucked.  :(

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Tank

Quote from: Guardian85 on October 30, 2015, 01:24:00 PM
Yeah, so I went to selection day for the Corrections Academy today.
Aced just about everything, but struck out on the endurance run.
So that sucked.  :(
Oh dear! That must have been rather humiliating for a ninja!

philosoraptor

Quote from: OldGit on October 27, 2015, 09:46:44 AM
I'm sorry to hear that, philo.  I've been through that a few times myself.  One never knows what's for the best; one just takes a deep breath and makes a decision.  Will you get another kittie in a while?

Maybe somewhere down the line.  We do have another cat (we adopted them together), but she seems to be doing okay without him.  If we did get another cat, we would likely go to a shelter or humane society like we did last time.
"Come ride with me through the veins of history,
I'll show you how god falls asleep on the job.
And how can we win when fools can be kings?
Don't waste your time or time will waste you."
-Muse

Icarus

Today I went to the supermarket. They have a book section that you must pass by on the way to the bakery section. There are a lot of religious titles. One of them struck my eye. It claimed to be a book for children.  Its' title was The Bible And Dinosaurs.  I grabbed it up and scanned a few pages. The book explained that the reason dinosaurs could be housed on Noahs Ark is that dinosaur eggs are only the size of a football. God arranged for Noah to bring dinosaur eggs aboard the boat but not the flesh and bone big animals. Therefore there was ample room for the various species. The book cunningly validated itself by including drawings and dimensions of several kinds of dinos.

I am grumpy about that shameless display of child abuse.  If my kid misbehaves very badly I can paddle his ass. If I do that I may be put in jail.  I am not allowed to physically abuse him with a paddle but it is entirely alright to fuck up his mind. The sting of the paddle will subside in an hour but the criminally evil seed planted in his brain can last a lifetime.

Insoluble

So god told Noah take this female dino egg and this male.
Or god gave Noah special egg gender discerning abilities.
Or He told him keep this one a bit warmer than that one.
They shoulda put this kinda interesting detail in the book,
I mighta possibly got through a bit more of it if they had.