News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by gwyn428, January 25, 2009, 09:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

how cool is that?

i was looking at it going, who's the roadie walking around the stage in a short sleeve shirt? he's pushing the time envelope.

then he p[icked up the harness. is there anything he can't play?

hermes, what kinds of sounds does your parrot like? rhythm? melodies? any particular instruments? parrots are fascinating animals. i've always wanted to have one but the responsibility always seemed insurmountable to what i was doing with my life at the time.

set the function, not the mechanism.

billy rubin

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

Quote from: billy rubin on March 23, 2021, 05:52:16 PM
how cool is that?

i was looking at it going, who's the roadie walking around the stage in a short sleeve shirt? he's pushing the time envelope.

hermes, what kinds of sounds does your parrot like? rhythm? melodies? any particular instruments? parrots are fascinating animals. i've always wanted to have one but the responsibility always seemed insurmountable to what i was doing with my life at the time.

I have grown quite fond of Aho's music. That brilliant percussionist is Austrian, I think.

My parrot responds to different types of music. She sings along to Mozart and Bach, as well as more modern music like Stravinsky. I just had a thought: I should play some of Messiaen's bird song inspired pieces. I am not a big Messiaen fan, but I'm sure I have something suitable by him in my collection.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

if she sings to stravinsky shes my kind of bird

hermes2015

― Charles Eames

Bad Penny II

I don't share the Janis Joplin attraction.
I'm not twelve so I won't say you're wrong.
But there were so many that sounded so much better.

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Randy

Quote from: hermes2015 on March 24, 2021, 03:33:40 AM
Quote from: billy rubin on March 23, 2021, 05:52:16 PM
how cool is that?

I have grown quite fond of Aho's music. That brilliant percussionist is Austrian, I think.

My parrot responds to different types of music. She sings along to Mozart and Bach, as well as more modern music like Stravinsky. I just had a thought: I should play some of Messiaen's bird song inspired pieces. I am not a big Messiaen fan, but I'm sure I have something suitable by him in my collection.
At least she has taste. If I were to own a parrot my luck would be that she'd go for hip-hop.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

hermes2015

Quote from: Bad Penny II on March 24, 2021, 11:48:46 AM
I don't share the Janis Joplin attraction.
I'm not twelve so I won't say you're wrong.
But there were so many that sounded so much better.

Oh, I agree with you, but there is also the element of nostalgia when I listen to her music. Those were good times for me and my friends.
― Charles Eames

Bad Penny II

Davin

Listening to this song again. Also a really awesome video.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Magdalena

Goddamn hippies.
I love them.
:cryandrun:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Magdalena on April 04, 2021, 03:42:20 AM

Goddamn hippies.
I love them.
:cryandrun:

Ye, I have identified as having Hippie sympathies, wars shouldn't be entered into lightly, or with fervour, it's going to cost you and them and many of them won't deserve it.

It seems hippies are associated with irrationality these days, there's an idyllic  region a couple of hours north that the hippies claimed in their heyday.  The silly rainbow stuff doesn't matter but anti vaxers are a problem.

We had a dolphnin/rainbow sticker on our first microwave (that lasted many years).
Our fridge supported disarmament, it had a "Fridges for nuclear disarmament" sticker.

I could identify as aspiring to be a mostly rational hippie.

America, back then you'd be talking to someone...
I've got a guitar
Oh ye, what can you play?
A Horse With No Name
It always seemed to be Horse With No Name.
Anyway I'm looking forward to the "Magdalena's Hippie Music thread".
A dolphin riding a rainbow told me it would be.
Isn't it more likely it was an oil slick?
Ye, it could have been an oil slick but I only want to be mostly rational.
A dolphin told you this?
Fk off Purple, you've sold out.

hermes2015

Although I was a scientist, I was very much part of the hippie scene. I didn't subscribe to the idea of dropping out — I believed I could subvert the system more from the inside. I'm not sure I was successful, but I tried.
― Charles Eames

Bad Penny II