News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Favourite — HAF Photo Challenge Poll

Started by Recusant, November 07, 2021, 05:34:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

There was a flurry of votes right at the end there, which broke up the four-way tie for first. That left us with a two-way tie.  :)  Congratulations to Lark and hermes2015! This was another splendid edition of the HAF Photo Challenge, brought to you by Tank:bravo:

Thank you to all who contributed photos, and to all who voted in the poll.  :jumps:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

Two worthy winners there. And very different subjects, cute and fluffy vs rock hard.

Which castle is this?

9.  Recusant

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

hermes2015

Thank you, Tank. But how did you like my photo?
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on November 24, 2021, 09:05:20 AM

The colours and textures are perfect.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on November 24, 2021, 09:21:54 AM
Quote from: hermes2015 on November 24, 2021, 09:05:20 AM

The colours and textures are perfect.

Thanks. It was taken near the lighthouse at the Tip of Africa, in the Cape Point National Park. I was there to train the guys doing atmospheric monitoring of SF6.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Recusant

Quote from: Tank on November 24, 2021, 08:52:03 AM
Two worthy winners there. And very different subjects, cute and fluffy vs rock hard.

Which castle is this?

9.  Recusant

Ah, reminds me of the days of the earth search/where's this place? thread.  ;)

That's Bodiam Castle in East Sussex, UK. It's about as on-the-nose for the storybook image of a medieval castle as any I've seen. On the outside at least. The lack of a keep is problematic from a tactical view.   :mustache:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

Quote from: Recusant on November 24, 2021, 06:53:37 PM
Quote from: Tank on November 24, 2021, 08:52:03 AM

Which castle is this?

9.  Recusant

Ah, reminds me of the days of the earth search/where's this place? thread.  ;)

That's Bodiam Castle in East Sussex, UK. It's about as on-the-nose for the storybook image of a medieval castle as any I've seen. On the outside at least. The lack of a keep is problematic from a tactical view.   :mustache:

It really is a stereotypical castle!

hermes2015

― Charles Eames

Biggus Dickus

Congratulations to the two winners, Hermes2015 and Lark.

Lark, I really liked your photo from the Marina of the boats(#12),...the line between the mast and their reflections in the water is perfect!! Very nice!!

Hermes I really liked your picture of the vase, that's a nice looking piece, and I loved the rocks in picture #11 (I voted for that one, but don't tell anyone). Colours are amazing!

Recusant, can you give us some details about the rock formation in picture #13? (Very nice picture as well)

Tank picture #18 is really nice!!

Good job folks!!
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

hermes2015

Quote from: Papasito Bruno on November 25, 2021, 03:44:43 AM

Lark, I really liked your photo from the Marina of the boats(#12),...the line between the mast and their reflections in the water is perfect!! Very nice!!

Hermes I really liked your picture of the vase, that's a nice looking piece, and I loved the rocks in picture #11 (I voted for that one, but don't tell anyone). Colours are amazing!

Recusant, can you give us some details about the rock formation in picture #13? (Very nice picture as well)

Good job folks!!

Thank you for your kind words. I'm glad you appreciate the vase. It is an original Ormeaux vase by Rene Lalique, from 1926, and is very dear to me. It is one of the prized vases in my collection of Lalique pieces. Another one is a rare Antilopes vase from 1925, signed by Lalique. I will tell the interesting story of how it came into my possession one day.
― Charles Eames

Recusant

Quote from: hermes2015 on November 25, 2021, 04:03:23 AM[. . .] an original Ormeaux vase by Rene Lalique, from 1926, and is very dear to me. It is one of the prized vases in my collection of Lalique pieces. Another one is a rare Antilopes vase from 1925, signed by Lalique. I will tell the interesting story of how it came into my possession one day.

Ah. Don't keep us in suspense for too long!  ;D

— H. L. Mencken

hermes2015

Quote from: Recusant on November 25, 2021, 04:47:26 AM
Quote from: hermes2015 on November 25, 2021, 04:03:23 AM[. . .] an original Ormeaux vase by Rene Lalique, from 1926, and is very dear to me. It is one of the prized vases in my collection of Lalique pieces. Another one is a rare Antilopes vase from 1925, signed by Lalique. I will tell the interesting story of how it came into my possession one day.

Ah. Don't keep us in suspense for too long!  ;D

:thumbsup:
― Charles Eames

Recusant

Quote from: Papasito Bruno on November 25, 2021, 03:44:43 AMRecusant, can you give us some details about the rock formation in picture #13? (Very nice picture as well)

It's Poulnabrone Dolmen in the Burren -- County Clare, Eire. You can find more extensive things online about the Poulnabrone Dolmen but I have a fondness for the Megalithic Portal--it's served me well whilst indulging my fascination with megalithic sites in Europe. Also many of its pages have some fine member photos.

As for the photo, thank you. I couldn't resist tarting it up, which probably wasn't a good idea. The day of drizzle was beautiful in its own way.

— H. L. Mencken

Tank

Quote from: Papasito Bruno on November 25, 2021, 03:44:43 AM

Good job folks!!

Thank you :)