News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

3,000 posts for...

Started by Tank, December 07, 2021, 12:06:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on December 13, 2021, 05:38:07 PM
well, youre right, of course.

but i always scrutinize what im doing anyway. part of trying to live an intentional life. so long as indecision isnt part of it, i reasonably happy with how im doing.

traditional conservativve quaker practice includes a lot of wat i call indecision-- the default is to not move forward without a positive leading in favor of that action or direction. quakers who practice that are referred to as slow. im the othe end, because im a fast quaker-- i believe that not making a decision is to make a decision, and so reflexive slowness isnt a positive course, on its own.

traditional slow quakers will stand around on a sinking ship debating whether to use the lifeboats or the life vests, whereas a fast quaker will say, get into whatever is closest and worry about the leading after.

the correct path is to mix input of both types, but the slow quakers are slow about that too. i end up just working on my own behind their backs and letting them catch up.

An interesting insight.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

i kid you not, once at business meeting one of my elders looked up and said, those light bulbs are out. what should we do? the question was put off for consideration later because there was something or other that was more important to talk about.

after meeting i took my six year old to the store a half a mile away and we bought a pack of light bulbs. went back to the ancient meeting house and i jimmied the kitchen window-- no locks for 150 years-- held it up and lifted my son into the kitchin. he went around and unlocked the door. i got the stepladder out of the storage closet and we went into the meeting room. took out the bad bulbs and threw them in the trash. then we put in the new light bulbs, put the ladder away, put the half-empty pack of light bulbs in the storage closet, went back out and locked the door. done.

the next week, the elder looked up and said, ooh look, the light bulbs are fixed.

i didnt say anything.

later i was talking with one of my ministers and he said, yes when i was young i used to jimmy the kitchen windows too when i needed to get in.

true story.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Bad Penny II

Well done Sir.
Most here got many of their numbers when the forum was brimming with life.
You got yours revivifying a near flatlining forum, Good Job :thumbsup:
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Magdalena

Quote from: Bad Penny II on December 14, 2021, 11:20:20 AM
Well done Sir.
Most here got many of their numbers when the forum was brimming with life.
You got yours revivifying a near flatlining forum, Good Job :thumbsup:
^^^
This is true. :smilenod:

We saw you, billy, and we just...

:grin:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

billy rubin

well clearly its time for a bang up controversial tbread

no sense in wasting all this good will

theres news on my continuing afventures among the flat earthers. i logged back into the society's forum and proposed a simple inexpensive experiment using a go pro camera that would prove or disprove the current and customary flat earth model. one that anybodu could do thay would provide photographic evidence of only one or the other, flat or round earth. no ambiguity.

my post was immediately relocated to tbe junk post threads under a new mocking gibberish thread title.

so theres that. generally the flat earthers are eager to argue your arm off, but that one hit a moderator nerve right away

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Magdalena

Quote from: billy rubin on December 14, 2021, 10:58:36 PM

my post was immediately relocated to tbe junk post threads under a new mocking gibberish thread title.
:lol:

:therethere:

You know why they did that?
Because everyone knows the image you get back will depend on the mood that the World-bearing Turtle and the World-elephants are in.

Come on, billy.
Everyone knows that.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant